Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,125 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed a theme on this forum when it comes to race related topics?

Whenever one race charges the other with something race related, usually, not a good charge...the race being charged response is always defensive.

No one seems to ever admit "Yes, my race/ethnic group is pretty messed up".

Blacks and whites both have a huge role to play in correcting the issues that are affected by race. Both groups have blood on their hands. No one get's a free pass.

What is it about both blacks and whites that keeps them in denial? Not willing to admit it takes 2 to perform the dance known as tango?

Moderator cut: snip

Let's discuss your denial?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-16-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
I don't get hung up on the color of a person's skin. The way I see it (and it's probably because I grew up in a different time) a person is defined by their character. As a white person born in 1973 you cannot say that I have blood on my hands because of the sins of this nation's past. Nor do my ancestors have blood on their hands. I, nor they have ever owned a slave. Nor were my ancestors here during the Civil War.

We as a nation need to stop dwelling on the past, and look to the future. At this point, we're all Americans, and quite frankly we're all getting the screws to us by a growing federal government.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Whenever one race charges the other with something race related, usually, not a good charge...the race being charged responds is always defensive.

Blacks and whites both have a huge role to play in correcting the issues that are affected by race. Both groups have blood on their hands. No one get's a free pass.

What is it about both blacks and whites that keeps them in denial? Not willing to admit it takes 2 to perform the dance known as tango?

What keeps people in denial is their insistence on arguing exactly what you are arguing--i.e. that blacks and whites are somehow equally culpable for the current state of race relations in the US. That is false. The racial status quo in the US puts blacks in a far worse position that whites. That is not to say that all whites are doing well. But if you measure anything at all, from net worth to rates of home ownership to access to quality health care, blacks as a group have it much worse than whites in the country.

The insistence by many whites that things are actually equal, that it "takes two to tango," is insane. It makes any kind of honest discussion about race impossible.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-16-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:

Whenever one race charges the other with something race related, usually, not a good charge...the race being charged responds is always defensive.

Why would anyone want to blame an entire group for the wrongs of others?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
You first.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,386,331 times
Until the words 'discussion on race' means something other than 'lecture' and the solution to racial disparities means something other than 'taking from one to give to another', whites have little incentive to participate.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
What keeps people in denial is their insistence on arguing exactly what you are arguing--i.e. that blacks and whites are somehow equally culpable for the current state of race relations in the US. That is false. The racial status quo in the US puts blacks in a far worse position that whites. That is not to say that all whites are doing well. But if you measure anything at all, from net worth to rates of home ownership to access to quality health care, blacks as a group have it much worse than whites in the country.

The insistence by many whites that things are actually equal, that it "takes two to tango," is insane. It makes any kind of honest discussion about race impossible.

So, does that mean whites need to look in the mirror and have honest discussions with themselves?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
So, does that mean whites need to look in the mirror and have honest discussions with themselves?
I guess I could look in the mirror and ask myself why -- though my family didn't arrive in the US until the 1950s after escaping Nazis in Europe -- they decided to settle in a country where the populace is so obsessed with race, and a past we personally had nothing to do with.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
What do I need to discuss with myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I guess I could look in the mirror and ask myself why -- though my family didn't arrive in the US until the 1950s after escaping Nazis in Europe -- they decided to settle in a country where the populace is so obsessed with race, and a past we personally had nothing to do with.
Good post. My grandparents were born here. I don't believe that my great grandparents were. At any rate my ancestors were not part of the Civil War, as they arrived after.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
The OP is known for his racially divisive posts. He is, after all, the "Mayor of Atlanta", the 'black mecca', as he likes to put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies