Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Much to your disappointment there will be no world war.

There will be no world war. Like I always tell my nephew, the most powerful weapon ever invented also ended the possibility of another great war.

With that said, there is a possibility that the Ukrainian conflict can cause a huge increase in sectarian violence and the reshuffling of political borders across the world.

When world leaders talk repeatedly about "territorial integrity", they are doing so because they cannot give support to the legality of secession/independence/annexation. The moment a major nation gives support to the legality of one part of a nation breaking off without the approval of the rest of that nation, the entire system of nation-states around the world will come crumbling down.

The truth is, if a part of the United States could separate from the United States by a simple popular referendum in that region. Then practically overnight, huge swaths of the United States would no longer be part of the United States. In a relatively short period of time there would be no United States.

One only has to look at China's hold on Tibet. Spain's conflict with Catalonia/Basque region. You can look at recent events in Scotland and other parts of the UK. You can look at northern Italy(especially Venice). Russia's hold of Chechnya. The Kurds in Iraq/Turkey. Or even Quebec's constant threats of separation from Canada. The nations of the world are far more fragile than most people realize, and they are becoming more and more fragile every day as the economic crisis still has not abated.

If Eastern Europe crumbles apart, the world could crumble apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Russia should be the first country that should split

Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM

663 posts, read 503,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Much to your disappointment there will be no world war.
Try cornering Russia too much or launching a counterattack against Russia's occupation of Ukraine, then Russia seeing herself losing before overwhelming NATO power.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Obama was embarrassed by Putin over Snowden and Syria.

He thinks that's a good reason for millions to suffer.
Yeah, I'm afraid there's some kind of retaliation. The whole issue of Ukraine has been pretty irrational. Think on these terms:

I'd imagine Russia is as concerned about Ukraine as England is of Scotland. If say, a foreign government were to be stoking independence, I'd imagine England would fight that by any means.

I don't see such a predatory attitude on it, though of course, all mighty nations defend their strategic territories. I can easily see Russia being paranoid about NATO taking over.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
And America the second, with the North going to Canada and the South annexing Mexico?

Pretty interesting proposition.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Sorry to answer the same question twice:

Isn't that the purpose of surround Russia with NATO and stoking revolution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies