Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think we should use taxpayer money to fund private schooling?
No, they should pay for their own private schools if they don't want to use public schools 67 74.44%
No, but give them a small tax break 11 12.22%
Yes, taxpayers should foot the whole bill 9 10.00%
Yes, this is more important than things like lae enforcement and infrastructure improvements 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,055,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
My kids went to private schools. Having said that, with regard to public schools . . . We either afford kids a better basic K-12 education or support them as adults for many more years to come.
Private schools don't necessarily mean a better education. I have a friend who's child moved from a private school to a public one and she was lost and way behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Fly me to the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I support vouchers for alternate education choices.

Parents that care but can't afford private school should be able to take that tax money to educate their child/children in schools of their choice.

The public school system leaves much to be desired in many communities.

If tax dollars are collected to educate children then let the parents that care choose where to send their child.

Religious schools, private schools and so on should not be supported by public education K-12 funding. The states undertook to provide a free adequate public education. Private schools are just that - private. They claim to be exemplary, and they exclude most Special Education and discipline issues.

By definition, a private school cannot admit everyone - the tuition is meant to cover what they consider the basics for each student - physical plant, salaries, curriculum - the usual for any K-12 school. I can see that private schools might wish to have the per-student state funding - but I don't understand what the benefit is to the public schools.

If the parents and students perform well and participate actively in school governance, that is a loss to the public schools. The governance issue also comes up in private and/or religious schools. It's clear where you go to complain and for satisfaction in the public schools. In parochial schools, you're at the mercy of an advisory board, the principal, the designee for parochial schools in the diocese, and ultimately the bishop. Mere parents - Catholic or not - have no recognizable authority there - the bishops serve at the convenience of the Curia and the pope in Rome. I imagine that other religious schools and private academies, while perhaps not so far-removed from authority, are also fairly or completely immune to any requests/complaints/demands from their parents. The private and religious schools are also immune to most legal pressure, as they are private schools - something that the parents should certainly consider going in.

By definition, a selective school - which most of the academies and private schools are - cannot admit everyone who wants to attend. Just the finances preclude that, plus such schools need time to grow - if they're to do so without damaging the qualities (which are also questionable - see other entries in this thread) they claim to offer to students and parents.

If all parochial or otherwise religious, and all private schools could show major improvements in student performance across the academic board, then there could be an argument here - a reason to extend public school funding to these other agencies. Failing that, I don't see any reason to consider the idea. They're free to bring it up whenever their collective boats rise enough to merit the discussion.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Quo vadis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Private schools are not geared for the wealthiest. It would depend on the school. Obama sends his girls to Sidwell Friends School which starts at $35,000 K to grade 4, then it increases, unlike private Catholic schools where the tuition in elementary school is probably %10 of what the Obama's pay. Many of the children come from middle income homes where parents sacrifice to see that their child(ren) get a good education and many parents started an education fund from the time the child is born. Tuition varies depending on the private school.

No, Catholic schools are not private per se - they are Roman Catholic & under the direct control of the local bishop. I found the one school - see Annunciation Catholic School - Washington, DC - School overview

"What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2013-2014 school year - $8000 - $10000
Vouchers accepted - No
Financial aid offered - Yes. School-based aid Outside scholarships
Application fee - Yes. $75."
I assume the fee is reasonable, given that it's WADC - although there is financial aid available. I didn't find an overall average for Catholic elementaries in WADC. 140 students, PK-8, 65% of students are Black. The community comments section was not very promising, but I have no direct knowledge of the school.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You're welcome to come up with alternatives other than those that dump those folks you don't care about into the veritable refuse heap, as the perspectives you support so often do. If you cannot put in place something that is better for everyone, or at least better for those most vulnerable in society, then simply admit it, and acknowledge that your preference for making things better for yourself is rightfully not society's priority.

Here in this public/private school funding issue we see another embodiment of the self-centered echo chamber that fosters so many of society's problems - folks arguing for what's best for themselves and the people they care about, without regard for those they couldn't care less about, people with less financial or political power who they feel happy to marginalize to serve their selfish aims. The right-wing has really done a great job corrupting their sycophants' morality into this egoistic, avaricious mania that they prefer.
Yes we care so little about them we want to send them to the best possible system of education..While you the ever caring bUU wants to keep them in a failed government run schools..

Chatter Schools and School Vouchers are a proven success.

Yes taking a interest in a persons life, wants, and future has caused sooo many problems, I mean it is not like the mass murders in Nazi Germany, USSR, Maoist China, over 80,000,000 alone murdered, and for what?

Your post just prove time and time again how divorced you and people like you are from reality...

by the way bUU, What do you do for a living?

How much do you earn?

How many do you pay in taxes?

Where do you send your kids to school?

What car do you drive?

What cell phone do you have?

What part of town do you live on?

Everyone feel free to ask bUU those questions, I have and he does not seem willing to share that information...How

Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Yes we care so little about them we want to send them to the best possible system of education..While you the ever caring bUU wants to keep them in a failed government run schools..

Chatter Schools and School Vouchers are a proven success.

Yes taking a interest in a persons life, wants, and future has caused sooo many problems, I mean it is not like the mass murders in Nazi Germany, USSR, Maoist China, over 80,000,000 alone murdered, and for what?

Your post just prove time and time again how divorced you and people like you are from reality...

by the way bUU, What do you do for a living?

How much do you earn?

How many do you pay in taxes?

Where do you send your kids to school?

What car do you drive?

What cell phone do you have?

What part of town do you live on?

Everyone feel free to ask bUU those questions, I have and he does not seem willing to share that information...How

I wouldn't answer you either because it's none of your business. Maybe you should answer those questions first before asking someone else

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
James Tooley, Pauline Dixon, and other researchers discovered a vast underground economy of parent-funded non-government schools in the developing world, which educate 50-80% of students in some of the world's poorest provinces. They also documented that government's "free" schools actually crowd out better free-market alternatives, a fact which comes as no surprise to E.G. West and Andrew J. Coulson, who discovered similar effects in Great Britain and in early America.

James Tooley, The Beautiful Tree
Andrew J. Coulson, Market Education: The Unknown History

Get rid of public schools and all the voucher "controversy" is gone.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:20 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
I sent my kids to private school.. Guess what.. I paid for it. That is why it isn't a public school. Anytime there is federal funding, they decide the curriculum. I'll pass.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:25 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
I think it's apparent that the public school system (and associated unions!!) cannot improve its dismal report card - SO, YES, I support tax-saving vouchers (at something 60-75% of per-cap spending) for 'freedom of choice' vouchers. What a tax-savings!! And, I would NOT limit voucher 'choice'. We'd be saving tax dollars, and reducing (public school) class size at the same time!! What's not to like?

Public schools (and their associated unions) have been dithering for long enough! Time to turn the page!!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
I didn't respond to the poll - there should be a:

Yes - school-choice and tax-savings ROCK!!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I think it's apparent that the public school system (and associated unions!!) cannot improve its dismal report card - SO, YES, I support tax-saving vouchers (at something 60-75% of per-cap spending) for 'freedom of choice' vouchers. What a tax-savings!! And, I would NOT limit voucher 'choice'. We'd be saving tax dollars, and reducing (public school) class size at the same time!! What's not to like?

Public schools (and their associated unions) have been dithering for long enough! Time to turn the page!!
How would it reduce class size. And how would it be tax saving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies