Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think we should use taxpayer money to fund private schooling?
No, they should pay for their own private schools if they don't want to use public schools 67 74.44%
No, but give them a small tax break 11 12.22%
Yes, taxpayers should foot the whole bill 9 10.00%
Yes, this is more important than things like lae enforcement and infrastructure improvements 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
85% pass rate on a state test is pretty poor. that means 15% of kids failed. that is not the kind of environment found in wealthy private schools.

i get what you're saying -- that might be better than other NYC schools -- but NYC's public school system is terrible.

The children enrolled in NYC public schools come from almost 200 different nations. It's a situation unlike anywhere else on earth.

NYC also has some of the nation's finest highly selective and expensive private schools with annual tuition rates in the $40-45,000 a year range. How might their outcomes change if these schools had to accept children from 200 different nations, regardless of ability and had their budgets cut by 75%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post

Basically if you want to improve actual performance of low income students the only effective way I have seen is to do what Wake county did. Which is assign students to schools for socio-economic balance. Then you get actual non-cherry picked improvement.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/ger...nt?oid=1215644
This approach seems to have worked for them because the state merged an urban and suburban school district. How might that play out if NY decided to merge suburban Nassau and Suffolk county schools with NYC schools? Imagine busing percentage of children from high socio -economic environments out of Long Island and into schools in Queens and busing in a percentage of children from 200 different nations from low socio-economic backgrounds to achieve a balance.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually create permanent alternative education schools for those students that are chronically disruptive to the entire learning environment. Teach them some vocational skills and hope they can at least pass the GED.

There's a solution that few would want to talk about.
Don't most urban school and some suburban school systems have alternative schools for the most disruptive ( high school) students?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,182 times
Nail head meet hammer

Not only the chronically disruptive but also students with other handicaps. These are the populations that need the protection of the government. All other schools should be competing for attendance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually create permanent alternative education schools for those students that are chronically disruptive to the entire learning environment. Teach them some vocational skills and hope they can at least pass the GED.

There's a solution that few would want to talk about.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
[/b]

The children enrolled in NYC public schools come from almost 200 different nations. It's a situation unlike anywhere else on earth.

NYC also has some of the nation's finest highly selective and expensive private schools with annual tuition rates in the $40-45,000 a year range. How might their outcomes change if these schools had to accept children from 200 different nations, regardless of ability and had their budgets cut by 75%?
very negatively, i would imagine

Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
I'd support vouchers for either public or private education, and should cover the same amount. We should not provide a guarenteed reward to any school that doesn't perform, be it public or private. Parents should have the choice to send their children to the school that provides the services that they need at a price that they can afford.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
The point of Liberal public education is to produce knowledgeable and thoughtful citizens regardless of social and/or economic status. The point of private conservative education is to produce a ruling elite with all the connections to do well in business or propagandized drones that follow some religious nonsense such as learning that subjugating women is god's will.

I do not want to fund the latter. Those parents can do that on their own.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,871 times
Why shouldnt people have a choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No problem provided the schools are not religious and I say this as someone who sent her kid to a Catholic high school that made religion an elective.

I oppose paying parents to home school because the opportunities for abuse are obvious.
It's already happening now in public schools.
Teachers sleeping with their students.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why shouldnt people have a choice?
i bet if you read the thread, you'd stumble across the discussion of this very topic

Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The point of Liberal public education is to produce knowledgeable and thoughtful citizens regardless of social and/or economic status. The point of private conservative education is to produce a ruling elite with all the connections to do well in business or propagandized drones that follow some religious nonsense such as learning that subjugating women is god's will.

I do not want to fund the latter. Those parents can do that on their own.

You don't have any say in the matter. Sit down, shut up and accept the education facist liberals decide is good for you

As for me I'll take the latter and you can return the school millage and any other tax dollars I pay. Then I can go find a school that suits mine and my children's needs not the brainwashing facist elites currently indoctrinate my children with. Its a good thing im here to teach them math & science because if I left it up to the public schools it wouldn't get done. The only thing that seems to happen in my district is they come home with a handful of condoms now and then and the weekly fund raising scam because no matter how much taxes you throw at these incompetents its never enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies