Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think we should use taxpayer money to fund private schooling?
No, they should pay for their own private schools if they don't want to use public schools 67 74.44%
No, but give them a small tax break 11 12.22%
Yes, taxpayers should foot the whole bill 9 10.00%
Yes, this is more important than things like lae enforcement and infrastructure improvements 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times

Advertisements

I did. and there are those spouting off the "seperation of church and state" which is no where in the constitution!
the government will favor no specific religion. I can't see how if you are getting your tax money to pay for a religious school, its favoring that specific religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i bet if you read the thread, you'd stumble across the discussion of this very topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
I think we should outlaw public education all together. It has been a miserable failure and is used to indoctrinate people to propaganda and government control.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:38 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Success Academy in Harlem (NYC).
85% pass rate on NYS Math tests.
Not one NYC public school can come even close to that score.

None of those children come from "wealthy" backgrounds.
The parents aren't wealthy either but are heavily involved and did something to create that kind of education environment found in wealthy private schools.
WWC Review of the Report

Milwaukee Parental Choice Program (ie vouchers)

Choice program students did no better than their public school counterparts.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom
No problem provided the schools are not religious and I say this as someone who sent her kid to a Catholic high school that made religion an elective.

I oppose paying parents to home school because the opportunities for abuse are obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why shouldnt people have a choice?

It's already happening now in public schools.
Teachers sleeping with their students.
The occasional teacher has been "sleeping with" the occasional student in public and private schools, since forever. The internet just makes us more aware of it when it happens, now.

There was a woman teacher " sleeping with" a male student when I was in high school back in the 70's.

By abuse I meant financial. What is to prevent someone from plopping their kids in front of Andy from Mayberry reruns all day and cashing in vouchers? How does one prevent fraud? Most parents do not have the skills or the time to teach their own children. How many cash-strapped families would welcome a windfall of $10,000 per child?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-17-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
We shouldn't fund public schools period, at least not nationally nor at the state level. Communities should decide that at the lowest possible level and operate independently, and they can fund whatever they want however they want, pursuant to what the community agrees on.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
So you would argue that we keep sinking billions of dollars into the public school system (especially poorly preforming inner city school). We keep putting more money to provide that basic safety net?

What happens when society eventually runs out of taxpayer money for basic safety nets like poorly performing public schools in the USA? Than we have austerity?

I guess you would say we just start taking "rich" people's bank accounts like they did in Greece to keeping putting more money into the system.
You are aware that you are using to much logic on bUU, right?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Private schools are not geared for the wealthiest. It would depend on the school. Obama sends his girls to Sidwell Friends School which starts at $35,000 K to grade 4, then it increases, unlike private Catholic schools where the tuition in elementary school is probably %10 of what the Obama's pay. Many of the children come from middle income homes where parents sacrifice to see that their child(ren) get a good education and many parents started an education fund from the time the child is born. Tuition varies depending on the private school.
Private schools are fine with me... just don't make me pay to send your kids there.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
So you would argue that we keep sinking billions of dollars into the public school system (especially poorly preforming inner city school). We keep putting more money to provide that basic safety net?
You're welcome to come up with alternatives other than those that dump those folks you don't care about into the veritable refuse heap, as the perspectives you support so often do. If you cannot put in place something that is better for everyone, or at least better for those most vulnerable in society, then simply admit it, and acknowledge that your preference for making things better for yourself is rightfully not society's priority.

Here in this public/private school funding issue we see another embodiment of the self-centered echo chamber that fosters so many of society's problems - folks arguing for what's best for themselves and the people they care about, without regard for those they couldn't care less about, people with less financial or political power who they feel happy to marginalize to serve their selfish aims. The right-wing has really done a great job corrupting their sycophants' morality into this egoistic, avaricious mania that they prefer.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
People who send their children to private school are still paying the taxes towards state education for others, so the more children who go private the large the money pot left to educate children at state schools and the smaller the classes. If anything private education should be encouraged. I don't agree with others paying for private schools, however such institutions tend to receive charitable donations and endowments, which enable them to give scholarships to less well off members of society and this should also be encouraged.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
In New Hampshire where I reside we have local funding of education. I pay about $300 per month to support a very expensive and very good public school system. I am willing to do this because I believe in a well educated society. I also pay taxes in a relatively poor district in Northern NH. That town simply does not have the resources to hire excellent teachers and the students suffer even through the tax burden is proportionate to my primary town. In education you really do get what you can afford.

If we added the tax burden of supporting private education both the taxes and the educational differences would increase. IMHO any parent that wants to send their child to a private specialty school can do so but the cost of this special treatment is on them and not added to mine. The irony is my wife and I have never had any children to be educated at public expense. Maybe we should have received a "voucher" for not using the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies