Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
When it was discovered that these laws and court decisions had the effect of putting many people who could not, in fact, take care of themselves out on the street, the liberals did a fast 180, hastily forgot about their long, enthusiastic nationwide advocacy and support of the agenda, and invented a completely new accusation: That it was Ronald Reagan alone who had "kicked all those poor people out of their nice, safe hospitals and made them homeless".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So you're pretty much saying this is Reagan's fault?
Wow...

Can I call 'em, or what?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
When you look at the penal system, you have to ask yourself ... is there something REALLY negative about the joint? AIDS? BUBBA? Yes, both are negative, but recidivism is alive and well ... WHY? Must not be TOO much negative. After all, prisoners have RIGHTS and plenty of them.

Now all of you Sheriff Joe haters get ready to hop me because I know you will not understand the point and obfuscate off into never-never land.

Joe has the right idea. Let us make incarceration something that we really don't like. Let's make living in a tent without air conditioning standard. Let us make use of the chain gang. We do not have to go to the Chinese extreme of slave labor ... but we can use their labor. We do not need basketball or baseball for 'therapy', a pick, hoe, shovel, or sledge hammer can accomplish the same thing. It's called negative-reinforcement. There are those who think negative-reinforcement means a beating ... it does not. It means that you are reinforcing negative behavior with a negative consequence. Of course there are the knuckleheads who do not and will not ever get it. All that means is a bigger sand pile that comes from that stone mountain.

Now the bleeding hearts will cry about the mentally ill. A work program is a start in the right direction of therapy.

El Nox
A work program as you describe makes sense to me. Then again, I have no problem with chopping the hands off of chronic thieves.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post

There are tons of mentally ill people in this country and just as many enablers. Hopefully these enablers don't have weapons that they teach them to use.
Lanza's mother was in serious denial as are most enablers. Mental illness and for that matter, addiction, often becomes a family disease.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 AM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
So now you are saying all mentally ill kids are a threat to our nation? You are advocating we treat our own mentally ill children like an experiment? So are you claiming that all mentally ill people now need to be caged in a box? Do you see how stupid this sounds. While i agree she should of stored them somewhere but that is her right and her choice.

Harboring? WTF is wrong with you , that was her child not some smuggled Somalian. So now its her fault that god created this child in this way ? Interesting.

If someone wants to commit murder they will do it be guns , bombs, fertilizer, pipe bombs, knives, etc. you name it. So please look back in the crystal ball and see if you find any signs of common sense for yourself.
Mentally ill people shouldn't have access to weapons. Guns, bombs, fertilizer, pipebombs, knives. Yes. That isn't a controversial opinion.

She knew her child was mentally ill and she chose to have easy access to weapons in her home. The result of this is other people's kids are dead.

If you have infants in your home you have to lock your weapons up where they can't get at them. When you have a mentally ill person in your home you give them free access.

I own a gun and I know how to use it. I am all for people having guns to protect themselves. I am against people who have obvious mental illness from having access to weapons.

Wikipedia:

Quote:
Kathleen A. Koenig, a nurse at the Yale Child Studies Center, said Lanza had symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder because he frequently washed his hands and changed his socks 20 times a day, to the point where his mother did three loads of laundry a day.[137] In addition, he would sometimes go through a box of tissues in one day because he could not touch a doorknob with his bare hand.[138]

He taped black garbage bags over his bedroom windows. He was fascinated with mass shootings, most notably the Columbine High School massacre and the Northern Illinois University 2008 shooting.[139] He did not allow anybody in his room, he refused to have a Christmas tree in the house, and would not eat his food unless it was arranged in a particular way on his plate.[140] He had also chosen to cut off contact with both his father and brother in the two years before the shooting and at one point communicated with his mother, who lived in the same house, only by email.
Let's teach this person how to fire an M4 and leave multiple weapons where they have access to them.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:46 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Those people don't have a right to defend themselves? At least you didn't say republicans (maybe they are inclusive in your "etc.")
They have the right to defend themselves, just not with legally purchased guns... And why would I include Republicans?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Like mozart, einstein, tesla, ford ...No one understood them.
Not being understood is a lot different from having a severe psychiatric condition.

The main problems in terms of DSM diagnosis and access to guns are in relation to those suffering from serious depressive episodes and those who suffer from visual and auditory hallucinations or who have a Sociopathic personality relating to extreme violent or sadistic behaviour patterns.

You surely wouldn't entrust some one with such psychiatric problems with a firearm, in the same way you wouldn't entrust a gun to some one with a severe learning disorder who had the learning age of a four year old, or would you????

Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who gets to " officially"define a hate group? How does one define "ties" to such groups. What is a "mental health" issue?

BTW, I do not own a gun and probably never will.
The Southern Poverty Law Center has a pretty good record, but on an official standpoint the FBI defines and tracks these groups...

If you want to understand mental health issues the below link is a start...

Mental Health Disorders Center: Types, Symptoms, Treatments, Tests, and Causes

Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Psychiatric Illness is generally defined according to the the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) produced by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) produced by the American Psychiatric Association (APA).

Once a person has been diagnosed by a fully qualified Psychiatric Doctor as having a serious psychiatric condition according to these classification then they should be monitored by health professionals and denied access to firearms if they are deemed to pose a risk to themselves or to others.

What's serious?

Schizophrenia is a chronic and very serious brain disorder that affects 2.5-5 million people in the U.S., dependent on source and if the source includes estimates of undiagnosed Schizophrenia. And most of them do not become violent. Those that do, tend to be off their meds.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Wow...

Can I call 'em, or what?

You made your bed now sleep... To late to take back your words now...

Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What's serious?

Schizophrenia is a chronic and very serious brain disorder that affects 2.5-5 million people in the U.S., dependent on source and if the source includes estimates of undiagnosed Schizophrenia. And most of them do not become violent. Those that do, tend to be off their meds.
As I have already stated if a Schizophrenic was experiencing visual or auditory hallucinations, I wouldn't allow them access to a firearm, nor would I allow someone with delusions relating to persecution and paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies