Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,193,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstat View Post
Both Eastern Ukraine and Crimea had been Russian territories, and "gifted" to Ukraine at different times. These territories populated mostly by Russian people with historical ties to Russia. Putin is doing what he is supposed to do, e.g. protecting people. It is a no-brainer for a country leader and Russians. Putin's actions are widely supported in Russia. Also note that so called new Ukrainian government was NOT recognized by Southeastern regions of Ukraine. The fact that US & EU keep reporting on "Ukrainian government" does not make it legitimate in the eyes of people from this region.
Eastern Ukraine is not majority russian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
Hating the people of a nation for their leaders is a European thing to do. Not American. ;-)

Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,150,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
Well, I happen to hate people who voted for the Iraqi war. Surely their children weren't doing the fight. Bring back the draft if you want America to be more peaceful.
I wasn't aware that the average American voted for the Iraqi war, it certainly wasn't in any political manifesto, not was in Blair's Labour Manifesto.

As for Conscription, it's not really compatible with modern hi-tech military weaponry and the increasingly hi-tech battlefield.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,643,076 times
Quote:
I hear it all the time: "That Putin is a bully, blah, blah, blah." That's people that just heard from the media that Putin is the bad guy. Well, how about Putin enjoying the support of 80% of the Russian people? That's more than Bush ever enjoyed at the height of the Iraqi war.

Unlike Iraq though Russians are familiar with Ukraine, which proves my point that they know their reasons.
i dont know if i dislike putin or not as i have never met the man. he is a formidable leader however, i just dont like his policies.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:06 PM

663 posts, read 501,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Eastern Ukraine is not majority russian.
Often cultural ties are as important as ethnic ties.

But they are asking for a referendum, which sounds pretty reasonable. Do we have doubts about the outcome?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 PM

663 posts, read 501,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hating the people of a nation for their leaders is a European thing to do. Not American. ;-)
Not sure about that. We hated the French for their opposition to the war in Iraq. We went as far as renaming the french fries, calling them "freedom fries."

Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM

46,770 posts, read 25,701,189 times
Quote:
I hear it all the time: "That Putin is a bully, blah, blah, blah." That's people that just heard from the media that Putin is the bad guy. Well, how about Putin enjoying the support of 80% of the Russian people?
I don't hate the Germans, but they did let themselves get bamboozled by a hyper-nationalist charismatic figure who told them he'd lead them into their rightful position among the world's great powers again.

Hell, if I lived in a corruption-ridden country ruled by oligarchs, with an average life expectancy trails that of modern nations by 10 years or so, I'd probably be tempted to look for something - anything - to take pride in. It's a tried-and-true formula - tell people their nation's manifest destiny is to be great and glorious, then point to insidious inside and outside forces keeping this from happening, robbing them blind all the while. Complaining is unpatriotic, not backing the leader is tantamount to treason, and always remember that you've been born to a nation that's rightfully great.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,895,284 times
Putin is ex KGB.

Harrier is old enough to understand why we should distrust such a man and young enough to potentially make a difference.

Harrier is studying Russian and Middle East history, and Russian and Arabic languages, because he believes that those regions will be pivotal in future events during this century.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,956,889 times
Quote:
I hear it all the time: "That Putin is a bully, blah, blah, blah." That's people that just heard from the media that Putin is the bad guy. Well, how about Putin enjoying the support of 80% of the Russian people? That's more than Bush ever enjoyed at the height of the Iraqi war.

Unlike Iraq though Russians are familiar with Ukraine, which proves my point that they know their reasons.
Perhaps you should consider a name change.
For a 'wise' Tibetan monkey, you certainly ask some surprisingly inane questions.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,159,363 times
Quote:

How can you hate Putin and not the Russian people?

True, but Bush's popularity in the US was not all that bad in 2003 when Europeans and Brits hated him and protested against his war. They did not hate Americans per se. Just Bush.

http://www.rense.com/general34/marach.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies