Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
That's not the reason at all. Military in the US always has to deffer to civilian leadership and not get involved in politics. Retired military is different.
Valid argument.

I'm not sure if I felt enough about my convictions to make the issue such a strong point after my retirement, that I would keep my mouth shut during my employment.

Thank god I'm self employed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 04:16 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Well I think anyone who wants to serve should be able to. I think its funny however that this was brought up in a Republican debate, by a hillary supporter, when it was her husband, a democrat, who introduced it.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:43 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I agree, the military really needs to get past this gay participation problem.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for the civilian population to get past it either.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Well I think anyone who wants to serve should be able to. I think its funny however that this was brought up in a Republican debate, by a hillary supporter, when it was her husband, a democrat, who introduced it.
You know, thats not something that the news channels actually discussed.. it was all about the surprise that he was allowed to ask it, didnt once discuss the fact that her husband is the one that introduced the bill.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
I agree, the military really needs to get past this gay participation problem.
You will first have to convince the front line troops that having gays in the military is not a problem -

Old 12-08-2007, 05:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You will first have to convince the front line troops that having gays in the military is not a problem -

I think if the military brass supports it the frontline troops ultimately will too.

I wouldn't expect it to happen overnight, but I do suspect that over a period of a decade or so the acceptance would become more prevalent. I believe we will always have incidents of intolerance playing out in admonishable behaviors/incidents, but I think these incidents would become fewer over time too.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
I think if the military brass supports it the frontline troops ultimately will too.
Without going into details, I have contact with a whole bunch of those frontline troops - and their commanders

They don't want it - their commanders do not want it. Within the last 2 weeks, I spoke with a 2 Star - the conversation included this very issue. The phrase he used is "over my dead body" - and "it will ruin the military"

Old 12-08-2007, 05:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
No doubt that is true today, doesn't mean it would be true a decade from now. Change is difficult, and change in attitude even moreso. Gay acceptance in the younger generation is greater than our older generations, and I don't believe that will reverse.

Senior Citizens at Odds with Young Americans over Gay Rights

Old 12-08-2007, 05:45 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Besides; being that an inordinate percentage of linguists, etc. out of the general military population are Gay,

What?? Now you have my attention, Why do you suppose that is if it is indeed a fact?

Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Without going into details, I have contact with a whole bunch of those frontline troops - and their commanders

They don't want it - their commanders do not want it. Within the last 2 weeks, I spoke with a 2 Star - the conversation included this very issue. The phrase he used is "over my dead body" - and "it will ruin the military"
Anymore; with women on the de facto front lines; Jessica Lynch comes mind......surely it would be no worse for Gays who do not act like 'queens'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies