Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM

11,359 posts, read 9,270,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
no... it's useless to YOU.

people who pray have their reasons...

who am I to stop them or judge them for it?
Why even ask that when the answer is obvious. They can pray to an imaginary being if they want to.
However, it's going to have the same effect as talking to a rock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 11:39 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,645,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Do you go in the locker room before the game with the team? If not stay out of it. That is my point.
I've been in plenty of locker rooms, Getting all mushy wasn't part of the warmup.

I don't care what happens out of sight, I just don't want to be exposed to any religious stuff.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,991,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Why even ask that when the answer is obvious. They can pray to an/the imaginary being if they want to.
However, it's going to have the same effect as talking to a rock...
Lot of folks had pet rocks back in the day. What a great scam that was. I do agree you anti religious folks have a point............but what if your wrong? Hell you don't know do you. Nobody does until the dirt is getting piled onto you. Why not let folks have some faith and exercise their rights as Americans? Instead you want to bash em and blab about rocks. I bet you had one.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,785,414 times
Quote:
Never heard of "pray to play". Your making no sense.
You should read the link I posted... To recap, Oakland University had this very problem last year, a coach that made her religion vitally important to the team. The women were "asked" to participate in bible studies, pressured to join the FCA, attend church, questioned about their virginity, and their playing time depended on these things. Until this all blew up, it was pushed to the side as the coach leading a few prayers at practices, that sort of thing.

This combination of authority and religion is what I feel makes it inappropriate for a coach to be leading religious activities. If the players wish to pray, so be it. But when the coach is doing it, you can very easily get into a situation where a player has to either compromise their religious faith or be ostracised by their coach and team. This is not a choice public institutions should be forcing on people.

My question to you is, do you think that participating in prayer should be a factor in your child's sport? Should their playing time be related to religious activities? How certain are you that, if a coach believes in something very strongly, and a player will not participate, the player will get a fair shake? Me, I am not confident in that at all, which is why I believe coaches should stay out of religion peddling while they are on the clock.

-NoCapo

Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've been in plenty of locker rooms, Getting all mushy wasn't part of the warmup.

I don't care what happens out of sight, I just don't want to be exposed to any religious stuff.
Mushy? Are you from Canada by any chance??

Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You should read the link I posted... To recap, Oakland University had this very problem last year, a coach that made her religion vitally important to the team. The women were "asked" to participate in bible studies, pressured to join the FCA, attend church, questioned about their virginity, and their playing time depended on these things. Until this all blew up, it was pushed to the side as the coach leading a few prayers at practices, that sort of thing.

This combination of authority and religion is what I feel makes it inappropriate for a coach to be leading religious activities. If the players wish to pray, so be it. But when the coach is doing it, you can very easily get into a situation where a player has to either compromise their religious faith or be ostracised by their coach and team. This is not a choice public institutions should be forcing on people.

My question to you is, do you think that participating in prayer should be a factor in your child's sport? Should their playing time be related to religious activities? How certain are you that, if a coach believes in something very strongly, and a player will not participate, the player will get a fair shake? Me, I am not confident in that at all, which is why I believe coaches should stay out of religion peddling while they are on the clock.

-NoCapo
And in today's societ all that "BS" is so bad?? LOL

There lies a problem in your think. They were asked as you say. You are full of sheet too if PT decided all that. Coach gets fired if they don't win. That is how it goes. You play your best kids at that level. You can try your games but they aren't working

Oakland is one of how many universites and high schools in this nation and you want to flip this out. Sot you haters go. All you do. So because of this some gdam government officer should sit in on pregame rituals of every university and high school in the nation. Do you see how ridiculous you are being. I doubt it in the least. Why can't the nuts leave everybody alone is all we want.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,645,404 times
Quote:
Mushy? Are you from Canada by any chance??
Nope, New Zealand.

Is mushy not a word used in the States?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Nope, New Zealand.

Is mushy not a word used in the States?
Well mushy is not a word in the states when you want to talk about a locker room full of football players anyway. Not sure what it means down there. My sister in law was an exchange student and went to NZ.......said it was beautiful. My wife wants to go........I say global warming will flood the whole hood before we get there in a few years or so...........LOL.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM

15,858 posts, read 21,421,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Really? Because the people I grew up around would yank their children out of school so fast it would make your head spin if the coach started up a game with a nice prayer to Lucifer, or a request for safety to Allah the Merciful! Would you tolerate a coach leading the kids in a prayer to Ganesha before every game?

An easier approach would be to allow the kids to pray on their own, even to lead their own prayer if they want to, but keep the authority figure out of the religion game. If the coach has a faith, I don't have a problem with it, but he or she should be careful about imposing it on students.

What are our thoughts on the link I posted about the former basketball coach at OU? Do you agree that she was way over the line? If so, then where would you put the line?

-NoCapo

My brother and I were forced to sit through group prayers in our high school marching band that prayed to a false messiah (i.e. "In Jesus' name we pray"). Not great for morale. When we asked if we could lead a Shabbat prayer in Hebrew, we were told it would be "offensive." We were not allowed to leave the room. Granted, in a marching band of more than 150 there were only about 10 of us who were not Christian (one other Jew and a handful of Muslims and Hindus), though I believe there were quite a few "in the closet" atheists - but that does not make it right to force the remaining 10 to neither leave the room nor lead our own prayer.

I would have had no problem with a moment of silence for each person to pray as they see fit. However, group prayers have no place in public schools.

In the end, we had to threaten the principal of the school with action from the ACLU before this practice ended, as well as the band director's penchant for punishing the Jewish students for observing Yom Kippur. I ended up dropping out of band, something I loved, because I was made to feel so uncomfortable due to my religious beliefs.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM

11,359 posts, read 9,270,331 times
Quote:
Lot of folks had pet rocks back in the day. What a great scam that was. I do agree you anti religious folks have a point............but what if your wrong? Hell you don't know do you. Nobody does until the dirt is getting piled onto you. Why not let folks have some faith and exercise their rights as Americans? Instead you want to bash em and blab about rocks. I bet you had one.
You lose the bet, I never had a pet rock.
What do I win?

I am not woried about being wrong. Due to a lack of evidence I'll side from what we know from science and critical thinking (which is hard for most).

I am not afraid of any big, bad god who is going to threaten me with an afterlife of fire because I didn't grovel at his invisable feet. It's no one I want to worship even if it was real.

In keeping with the topic I said it was silly but if they want to pray before the game go right ahead. I do have the freedom to laugh to myself when I see it.
Praying is not going to keep them from injury (as documented by another poster on this thread) or help them win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies