Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,817 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by surfman
The PC police attempting to squelch free speech. Apparently their interpretation of what was said is close enough, even if they're completely wrong. Welcome to Big Brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
If a teacher told your child to f off, would you be okay with that?
Of course I would, but this isn't what we're discussing is it? I'd also be pissed if a teacher ran my kid over with his car. Should we play the what if game now?

The teacher claims the kid made a statement, and he said one thing and the kid claims he said something else. I'm betting the teacher is probably far more credible than the young student, yet the board sided with the child.

How many times have children made a persons life hell, only to come forward years later and say they did it because they were mad?

Something is wonky with this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Lol . . . It appears that most missed the 2nd link, which adds a bit more color to this situation.

http://news.msn.com/us/ohio-teacher-...lack-president

Last edited by Erratikmind; 04-18-2014 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Eta

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
is it really his first amendment right to say such things while at work? to students?
The first amendment limits government infringement, not employer infringement. Employment at will means they can fire anyone for any or even no reason (unless covered by EEOC or similar legislation), and the employee may quit their job for any or even no reason.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Originally Posted by surfman
The PC police attempting to squelch free speech. Apparently their interpretation of what was said is close enough, even if they're completely wrong. Welcome to Big Brother.

Of course I would, but this isn't what we're discussing is it?
You said it was a free speech issue. Clearly, it isn't.

Quote:
I'd also be pissed if a teacher ran my kid over with his car. Should we play the what if game now?

The teacher claims the kid made a statement, and he said one thing and the kid claims he said something else. I'm betting the teacher is probably far more credible than the young student, yet the board sided with the child.

How many times have children made a persons life hell, only to come forward years later and say they did it because they were mad?

Something is wonky with this story.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid
But did he? He says he actually told the student:

"I think we can't afford another president like Obama, whether he's black or white."
And he would be right in saying this!!!!

NO ONE HAS DONE AS MUCH DAMAGE AS HE IS DOING!!

Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
You believe it only applies to Congress? By your interpretation, any entity can deny a person their right to it?

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. See U.S. Const. amend. I. Freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments. See U.S. Const. amend. XIV.

You would be entirely wrong according the SCOTUS

There have been plenty of lawsuits won by employees who were fired for their free expressions. I'm guessing this teacher will get his job back.
I don't care what the Supreme Court. The 1st Amendment does not apply to employers/employees. I assume the people that wrote it knew what they meant. And if they meant the 1st Amendment applied to anyone other than Congress then they would have said so.

The Supreme Court has been wrong numerous times. They reverse their own decisions all the time.

Why do people act like only the Supreme Court is the arbitrator of everything? That what they say is always right and just. All they are is a bunch of lawyers. Anyone can read the Constitution and see what it means.

And the State of Massachusetts had an official state religion when the 1st Amendment was passed. No one seemed to have a problem with it then. And it wasn't any big secret either. So the 1st Amendment applies to Congress, not the states.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
He may have said:

"I think we can't afford another president like Obama, whether he's black or white."

But he really meant:

"We Don't Need Another "%*$@!#" President"

And please don't act like you don't think this way.

I work among you and hear it all day long. They say it when they think we're not at earshot.

They say it in front of me sometimes because they don't know I'm a "@#*%*!".
You're just as bad as this teacher.

This conservative believes this idiot got what he deserved.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
You believe it only applies to Congress? By your interpretation, any entity can deny a person their right to it?

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. See U.S. Const. amend. I. Freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief. The Supreme Court interprets the extent of the protection afforded to these rights. The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments. See U.S. Const. amend. XIV.

You would be entirely wrong according the SCOTUS

There have been plenty of lawsuits won by employees who were fired for their free expressions. I'm guessing this teacher will get his job back.
Can you post a link or, two where a teacher has won a lawsuits as you claim???

Any employee will be fine.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:10 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
He has had at least a 6 year history of doing similar things and told that if it continued he would be terminated.

Ohio teacher fired over comment on black president

Also that his excuse was not supported by other students in the class that were there that day, and not credible.
One of many, was this teacher fired?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFC1qFCgyA

This is sickening.. The hypocrisy and stupidity of the left is mind numbing

Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
There usually is more to the story when a thread title is sensationalized. I suppose it is like the tabs-- Daily Mail, NY Post, etc. The headline is supposed to reel you in. I'd say this was one of those. OP gets 4 Pinocchios for a mostly false headline.
Technically the title is correct, it just don't include the back story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies