Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:53 PM

878 posts, read 737,471 times

Advertisements

But did he? He says he actually told the student:

"I think we can't afford another president like Obama, whether he's black or white."

Never the less, the knee jerk reponse by hyper-sensitive liberals acting on behalf of political correctness made the wrong decision in firing the man for exercising his first amendment rights even if he did say "we don't need another black president."

Fairfield teacher accused of racial slur loses job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 04:57 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Sounds to me like the teacher added the last five words, expressly to point
out that he was NOT basing his conclusion on the President's skin color.

And now he's getting bashed for making a comment based on the President's skin color.

Someone was looking awfully hard for anything he could find to be offended by.

Someone was NOT looking for racist remarks. He was looking for remarks he could PRETEND were racist.

Someone was trying to lie to people and fool them into thinking a remark was racist, when it clearly wasn't.

When this unknown person isn't actively trying to lie to people and fool them... I wonder how much time he spends otherwise, decrying how divisive politics is nowadays?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Unless there is way more to the story than we are hearing, even if the student quoted him correctly, firing him over this is not justified. However, as I have told every single student teacher that waltzed through my classroom, teachers do not have freedom of speech in a classroom of other people's children.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
He has had at least a 6 year history of doing similar things and told that if it continued he would be terminated.

Ohio teacher fired over comment on black president

Also that his excuse was not supported by other students in the class that were there that day, and not credible.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
He has had at least a 6 year history of doing similar things and told that if it continued he would be terminated.

Also that his excuse was not supported by other students in the class that were there that day, and not credible.
Thank you for shedding more light on this story.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
But did he? He says he actually told the student:

"I think we can't afford another president like Obama, whether he's black or white."

Never the less, the knee jerk reponse by hyper-sensitive liberals acting on behalf of political correctness made the wrong decision in firing the man for exercising his first amendment rights even if he did say "we don't need another black president."

Fairfield teacher accused of racial slur loses job
Recognize that it's hard to know here. You are taking the honesty of one man's word against another. How can you possibly know who is telling the truth? You can't. You're just projecting your own feelings of enmity against Obama by siding with the teacher, but you have no idea what happened.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 PM

878 posts, read 737,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You are taking the honesty of one man's word against another. How can you possibly know who is telling the truth?.
How did the ones who fired him know?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Ohio Teacher Fired For Telling Student "We Don't Need Another Black President"

Having taught HS science for more than 20 years and seeing similar incidents over that time, here's my take:

1. The school board ruled unanimously to terminate this teacher. Board members are elected officials. Probably not all of them in this community are left wingers. Call it a hunch.

2. The guy has a long track record of similar incidents over a period of years.

This latest incident just served as "the straw that broke the camel's back." He's probably been on thin ice for some time now and hasn't changed his behavior.

But don't let the reality of the situation prevent you Moderator cut: personal attack right wingers from getting your blood pressure pumped up, imagining a liberal conspiracy to single this guy out for special treatment.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post

That would be the "way more to the story" part alright.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
How did the ones who fired him know?
I can't answer that. But given that they can have first-hand access to both individuals, it is possible that they may be privy to a lot more information, both about this particular case and other pertinent facts, than any of us.

Also, note generally that first amendment rights do not protect a teacher or other individual from consequences of certain statements in private establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies