Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post

On the other hand, Scandinavia is best.
Way too cold for me regardless of how many pretty women they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
In order to change our "oil addiction" we must use the bicycle and the train. Creating a "bicycle infrastructure" could be as simple as giving the right traffic lane to "slow vehicles," ie. NEVs (neighborhood electric vehicles), scooters under 50 cc and bicycles. Of course, cars could still use the right lane when none is present but limited to 20-25 mph.
I think our "oil addiction" is a wonderful thing. It gives me the freedom to go where I want and whenever I want. Cars are good. Fast cars are even better.

Oh, and next time you are down here in Texas during the Summer, I would love to see you commute to work on a bicycle.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Settle the place with your people, seek independence and then quickly annexation. It works every time.
Spaniards rebelled against Spain for independence in 1810. The rebellion that started in 1810 finally ended around 1821, with the establishment of a new constitution in 1824.

1] Santa Anna abolished the constitution in 1835 moving Mexico from a federal republic to a centralized unitary State --- that might be legitimate grounds for rebellion -- ya think?

2] Texas was not the only Mexican State to declare independence. The Republic of Yucatan also declared its independence for the exact same reason Texas did.

3] Five other Mexican States also declared independence (Mexico was established as a federal republic).

4] In total, seven Mexican States declared independence.

5] Since there were 24 States, the 7 States represent ~30% of all Mexican States.

The facts clearly paint a different picture (so I can see why you'd gloss over facts).

A much smarter monkey....

Mircea

Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 PM

663 posts, read 503,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think our "oil addiction" is a wonderful thing. It gives me the freedom to go where I want and whenever I want. Cars are good. Fast cars are even better.

Oh, and next time you are down here in Texas during the Summer, I would love to see you commute to work on a bicycle.
I recently saw the amazing video of a guy who bought an exotic scooter from India to go around among the dinosaurs in Texas. And the guy even seems to be having fun! Maybe he's crazy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL_eDyx-BpQ

140 mpg! Though that may be a little inflated 100 mpg still makes sense, you know.

Last edited by Wise TibetanMonkey; 04-22-2014 at 08:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Spaniards rebelled against Spain for independence in 1810. The rebellion that started in 1810 finally ended around 1821, with the establishment of a new constitution in 1824.

1] Santa Anna abolished the constitution in 1835 moving Mexico from a federal republic to a centralized unitary State --- that might be legitimate grounds for rebellion -- ya think?

2] Texas was not the only Mexican State to declare independence. The Republic of Yucatan also declared its independence for the exact same reason Texas did.

3] Five other Mexican States also declared independence (Mexico was established as a federal republic).

4] In total, seven Mexican States declared independence.

5] Since there were 24 States, the 7 States represent ~30% of all Mexican States.

The facts clearly paint a different picture (so I can see why you'd gloss over facts).

A much smarter monkey....

Mircea
Isn't it the truth that the victors make history?

I wonder what's the Mexican view on this.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Way too cold for me regardless of how many pretty women they have.
Well, the whole point is that they keep you warm.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:

Talk to Guatemala; they also kicked Mexico out about 1830 but Mexico doesn't seem to want Guatemala back.

I don't really care what Mexico thinks; even IF they were 100 percent right over Texas in 1836, which they weren't, they LOST, they need to get over it. Many countries lost land; it is what it is.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:

We already know what the Mexican view on the situation is: butthurt.

Face it: The best thing to happen to the American southwest and the people living there (including the Spanish and Mexicans who subsequently became American and whose descendants have been Americans for generations) was for the Americans to seize the land from the Mexicans and make something out of it....a place where Mexicans FLEE TO in order to find a better life because the Mexican government apparently can't organize a mariachi parade, let alone a functioning country.

If it never happened, the territory would still be Mexico and illegal border crossings into the US would be happening a lot further north than they are now.

But, that's all in the past. It would not be appropriate for the US to do the same thing now that was done back then, because we don't accept that sort of behavior between nation states after all the wars of the 1900s that kind of settled the issue.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,079 times
Quote:
Settle the place with your people, seek independence and then quickly annexation. It works every time.

Crimea and Texas: Russia's Version of Manifest Destiny (Reforma, Mexico)

It should be noted that we don't know yet if Ukraine wants to be independent of Russia
The Hypocrisy of America throughout the crisis in Ukraine has been completely obvious.

It is no wonder why Foxnews has gone out of its way to portray Putin as a leader with fortitude.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Why do we consider the borders set so long ago to be sacred? If some Ukrainians want to be governed by RUSSIA let them, as they apparently have in the Crimea, choose that. If other Ukrainians want to join them why not? That is their concern, NOT OURS!

We should not be giving our military support to the European Union in their economic invasion of Eastern Europe. They are just trying to do with Euros and loan sharking what Hitler, at the behest of his bankers, tried to do in 1940 with the Wehrmacht. We do not need to support the same bankers this time. This is their fight and should remain an economic one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies