Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM

262 posts, read 155,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'm not going to put a value on what I think the gas tax should be. My only point is that roads should pay for themselves. If they want to spend extra money to upgrade our infrastructure, I'm fine with that as long as they raise the revenue by increasing user fees.

The reason I think gas taxes should cover the full price of the roads, is that otherwise it is economic manipulation. If gas taxes are artificially high, it allows car-haters to force people to walk or use mass transit. If gas taxes are artificially low then it encourages people to drive more and live further away from work causing unnatural urban sprawl(as well as a variety of other problems).
In California gas taxes and license fees are supposed to be in a restricted fund and only used for roads, bridges, repairs, and such related to the State highways. It is the politicians who steal that money which is strictly against the law but they have somehow raised themselves above the law. There's plenty of money for necessary highway costs. It's the politicians who screw it up with their stupid sticky fingers and UNintelligent spending.

I just disagree with the rest of your post.

Last edited by larrysda; 04-25-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This idea is already playing out in this country and failing. What sense does it make to give businesses and corporations a pass but have to subsidize poor people by overtaxing them when they are already underpaid? That makes no economic sense. The poor are basically being overtaxed to pay for their own welfare (as well as corporate "welfare" since no income tax) while well-off folks get a pass. That is backwards. (/quote)

The answer to your question is that whatever taxes, fees or any take of $'s from them is passed down to the consumer of their product or service...business and corporations NEVER pay taxes. The poor end consumer foots the bill which includes paying lawyers and CPA's to prepare their taxes. IMHO, business and corporations should have no taxes imposed. Actually, if we did it right and simply created a national sales tax to replace income tax, then it would level out and would also catch all the illegal $'s when they are spent.

(quote) Property taxes I have no current problem with currently, but that is probably because I rent and most likely pay less than a local homeowner.
No, you have the property tax paid by the owner of your rental add that cost to your rental fee. VBG You pay it!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The main loophole the wealthy get is that much of the money they make is not considered "income" for tax purposes. Thus, it is taxed at a much lower rate.
To be fair, dividend income is taxed first at the corporate level.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you had read my links you would find that the more education a person gets the more likely they are to vote for Democrats. An exception does exist at the lower income level for HS dropouts, but more support is found at the highest education levels.
Well, there seems to be a little spin here. One must first recognize that "most" of today's college professors are so far liberal some don't even make sense. If it were up to me, I would fire most of them as teaching anti-American/anti-Constitutional/anti-self responsibility, etc., etc.,

"Intelligent" people with education are mostly Republican. The original Republican, that is. Those with the platform of adhering to the Constitution, making sure federal government stays out of the way so citizens can take responsibility for themselves and not become dependent on welfare generation after generation and, most important, make sure business has the freedom to prosper which in turn create more jobs which in turn creates a good economy. That a brief "un"spin of your logic which I believe is not only wrong, but part of the problem for America.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The main loophole the wealthy get is that much of the money they make is not considered "income" for tax purposes. Thus, it is taxed at a much lower rate.
And, that because it is an "at risk" investment, is the $ fuel that is reinvested in business which creates business expansion and more jobs. A large percentage of that invested money is from retired people who take responsibility for themselves and must have their life-time savings invested to earn interest to help them pay the bills.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
Well, there seems to be a little spin here. One must first recognize that "most" of today's college professors are so far liberal some don't even make sense. If it were up to me, I would fire most of them as teaching anti-American/anti-Constitutional/anti-self responsibility, etc., etc.,

"Intelligent" people with education are mostly Republican. The original Republican, that is. Those with the platform of adhering to the Constitution, making sure federal government stays out of the way so citizens can take responsibility for themselves and not become dependent on welfare generation after generation and, most important, make sure business has the freedom to prosper which in turn create more jobs which in turn creates a good economy. That a brief "un"spin of your logic which I believe is not only wrong, but part of the problem for America.
It's not spin. Teachers (and university professors) do tend to be liberal, but so do DR's, lawyers, and a significant number of people in the most educated states - which also tend to be more populated and wealthier.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
In California gas taxes and license fees are supposed to be in a restricted fund and only used for roads, bridges, repairs, and such related to the State highways. It is the politicians who steal that money which is strictly against the law but they have somehow raised themselves above the law. There's plenty of money for necessary highway costs. It's the politicians who screw it up with their stupid sticky fingers and UNintelligent spending.

I just disagree with the rest of your post.
You can disagree with my post all you want. The statistics from the Taxfoundation says that driving-related taxes and fees only creates enough revenue to fund 64.4% of the what is spent on the roads in California.

Gasoline Taxes and User Fees Pay for Only Half of State & Local Road Spending | Tax Foundation

The Taxfoundation isn't some kind of left-wing website that manipulates data for some global-warming carbon tax political agenda. Do you have a link to show that the fuel tax revenue in California is producing a surplus? Just because politicians are raiding the trust fund, doesn't mean the fuel tax is producing a surplus.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:46 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
And, that because it is an "at risk" investment, is the $ fuel that is reinvested in business which creates business expansion and more jobs. A large percentage of that invested money is from retired people who take responsibility for themselves and must have their life-time savings invested to earn interest to help them pay the bills.
There is absolutely no 1 to 1 relationship between investment and job creation. In fact, many investments actually destroy jobs. Don't mistake abstract economic models for what happens in the real world.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:00 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Quote:
Only certain people regularly allow their baser instincts to trump their human decency.
There is a difference between being selfish and being self-serving.
Only certain people regularly allow their baser instincts to trump their human decency.

Quote:
Thus, you are self-serving. You don't care one bit about the interests of others.
Stop lying about me. It just demonstrates how desperate your are to rationalize the corrupted perspectives you peddle.

Quote:
Quote:
Explain, comprehensively, what your alternative to public education or accept the reasonable conclusion that will be drawn from your insinuation that it shouldn't exist.
When I reflect back at my time in public school ...
Stop deflecting and answer the question or admit that you don't have an answer that refutes my earlier charge that you are just trying to rationalize marginalization of those less fortunate.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
If you do not want to pay property taxes move out of Manhattan, NY (NYC?) to southern Nevada and have the government pay you to live there.

We do not have children but have willingly paid property taxes so the next generation will not be uneducated criminals and can pay for part of our retirement. I less willingly pay income taxes that are spent on the Military and welfare ranchers instead of our National Parks. Regardless, I still pay taxes because I consider them the rent to live in a civilized society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies