Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:19 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,707,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed
No, 99% are just hogwash, completely unbelievable. You can't just rush in blindly and believe every conspiracy theory there is....
You shouldnt BLINDLY BELIEVE most of the trash you hear from the media either bud!!

They want you to believe WHAT THEY TELL YOU!! (And look no further)

Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,811,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
You shouldnt BLINDLY BELIEVE most of the trash you hear from the media either bud!!

They want you to believe WHAT THEY TELL YOU!! (And look no further)
I don't listen to what the TV or radio say. I use my very above average analytic skills and read between the lines, something most Americans (by most, I mean 95% below me) fail to do

Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,981,739 times
Cuz they are paid to mock the "conspiracy theories"....

Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 AM

129 posts, read 100,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't listen to what the TV or radio say. I use my very above average analytic skills and read between the lines, something most Americans (by most, I mean 95% below me) fail to do
Did your above average analytic skills lead to your 95% calculation, or if not where did you get it from?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,707,067 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed
Very good my friend,i am glad to know this!!!

YOUR HANDLE FITS YOU WELL!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,382,585 times
Default Why are conspiracies and conspiracy theories ridiculed by the media?

cuz there dum

Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,901,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
NSA spying on every American was until recently considered a conspiracy theory.

The USA using torture was considered a conspiracy theory not that long ago.

That the government would argue they can throw U.S. citizens in prison and deny them due process rights was considered a conspiracy theory not that long ago.

The reason they aren't easily dismissed is because too many of them have been true.
Most of what people seem to be calling a conspiracy theory, doesn't even amount to a theory.

The popularization some attribute to this meme should be no surprise.
The JFK Assassination Marked the End of the American Republic | Global Research
quote:
Mathias Broeckers: In January 1967, shortly after Jim Garrison in New Orleans had started his prosecution of the CIA backgrounds of the murder, the CIA published a memo to all its stations, suggesting the use of the term “conspiracy theorists” for everyone criticizing the Warren Report findings. Until then the press and the public mostly used the term “assassination theories” when it came to alternative views of the “lone nut” Lee Harvey Oswald. But with this memo this changed and very soon “conspiracy theories” became what it is until today: a term to smear, denounce and defame anyone who dares to speak about any crime committed by the state, military or intelligence services. Before Edward Snowden anyone claiming a kind of total surveillance of internet and phone traffic would have been named a conspiracy nut; today everyone knows better.

There are other places to track it, as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory
quote:
In his book The Open Society and Its Enemies, Karl Popper used the term "conspiracy theory" to criticize the ideologies driving historicism.
In his critique of the twentieth century totalitarians, Popper wrote, "I do not wish to imply that conspiracies never happen. On the contrary, they are typical social phenomena.
In a 2009 article, legal scholars Cass Sunstein and Adrian Vermeule considered appropriate government responses to conspiracy theories:
What can government do about conspiracy theories? Among the things it can do, what should it do? We can readily imagine a series of possible responses. (1) Government might ban conspiracy theorizing. (2) Government might impose some kind of tax, financial or otherwise, on those who disseminate such theories. (3) Government might itself engage in counterspeech, marshaling arguments to discredit conspiracy theories. (4) Government might formally hire credible private parties to engage in counterspeech. (5) Government might engage in informal communication with such parties, encouraging them to help. Each instrument has a distinctive set of potential effects, or costs and benefits, and each will have a place under imaginable conditions. However, our main policy idea is that government should engage in cognitive infiltration of the groups that produce conspiracy theories, which involves a mix of (3), (4) and (5).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Op...nd_Its_Enemies

Last edited by CDusr; 04-21-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,964,334 times
As Ron Paul said, you should believe the conspiracy theories that are true, and you shouldn't believe the ones that aren't true. I add that every conspiracy theory should be analyzed with dispassionate reasoning constrained by the indisputable facts on the ground.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,231,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As Ron Paul said, you should believe the conspiracy theories that are true, and you shouldn't believe the ones that aren't true. I add that every conspiracy theory should be analyzed with dispassionate reasoning constrained by the indisputable facts on the ground.
Come on, when I was 15 I knew the govt was spying on us all, and that was a long long time ago. But the vast majority of conspiracy theories are nonsense. I give any one of them a 1 in 100 chance of being right. 1 in a million for some of the REALLY out there ones.

Anything that our government is accused of that a amoral psychopath would think would be a good idea hits the 50/50 mark though....

Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 PM

129 posts, read 100,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As Ron Paul said, you should believe the conspiracy theories that are true, and you shouldn't believe the ones that aren't true.
And who determines whether or not they are true? Because according to the government in recent years, the NSA doesn't spy on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies