Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Please define "Single mother" ... Is it a woman that gets pregnant and has to raise the child alone because the father can't/won't stand up to his responsibilities OR a woman that gets a divorce from a totally broken marriage and works every day to give her child(ren) everything they need?

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Single mothers that properly take care of their child(ren) SHOULD be worshiped.
Is it fair to point out that we should try to prevent men from being dead beat dads and women from being single mothers as the statistics bare that this problem has grown and the statistics bare that this is likely detrimental to the single parent children and the infamous growth in wealth inequality we always are told to fear from the left?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-21-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
I think championing single motherhood sends a bad message. It encourages people to follow through with it, not really thinking about the consequences. It's glorified and it shouldn't be. Single motherhood ruins lives. I know its not politically correct to say that, but it does. The one common variable statistically among prisoners is that most were raised without a dad. This is not to say that dead beat dads are off the hook, but being a dead beat dad isn't glorified in this society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I have the utmost respect for any single parent who takes responsibility for raising their child without government assistance.

On the other hand, here in Baltimore I see the same family on a daily basis. That family consists of a mother, usually black but sometimes white, who is getting off the subway in downtown Baltimore with either a baby in a carriage or stroller, or a toddler aged 3-5. The age of mom is less than twenty years old, and she appears to be anywhere from age 14 to age 18. Of course I can't tell by looking at them whether mom is married, but I am pretty sure the vast majority are not.

I know very well by looking a mom that there is no way in H. E. double hockey sticks that she has the financial resources to take care of her kid. So, guess who is?
I know a woman on government assistance with 4 kids and she wants #5!!!!!

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
So the parent who is working hard to raise their children you are sick of? Why not focus that disgust and anger toward the absent parent who ran off and dumped their obligations like they were nothing more than a movie to be returned when done..?

I am a single mother of a 3 year old. Her father was abusive and I left one night in the snow with no shoes on and just the clothes on my back after he pulled a gun. He hasn't given us a dime. On my own I have managed to buy a home, a nice car, and everything else we need. I am also starting school when she does this fall. I have not recieved a dime from him,nor anybody else (including welfare). So I am a horrible person for this? For not going out? I haven't left my child with a babysitter ever, I have saved my money and spent it on NEEDS instead of wants (such as going out to eat, drink, etc). Never have I not put my daughter to bed and not gone to bed with her.

I don't want someone to worship me. It's a tough situation to raise a child on your own but sometimes there aren't many other options available.
Good job you are doing.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Is it fair to point out that we should try to prevent men from being dead beat dads and women from being single mothers as the statistics bare that this problem has grown and the statistics bare that this is likely detrimental to the single parent children and the infamous growth in wealth inequality we always are told to fear from the left?
Except that we aren't hearing that men shouldn't be deadbeat dads - we are only hearing what women are doing "wrong." The onus is on them to take responsibility for the life of another human being, while the fathers frequently walk away from responsibility, making bare minimum child support payments and sometimes not even that.

A little bit OT: we also cannot refuse to teach young girls factual information about sex and birth control in schools and in homes and then complain about the "problem" of single mothers. It cannot be both ways.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Single motherhood ruins lives.
NO.

Bad parenting, absentee parenting, neglectful parenting - THAT ruins lives.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
NO.

Bad parenting, absentee parenting, neglectful parenting - THAT ruins lives.
I think the lack of a father falls under neglectful parenting, as well as having a mother spread so thin and frazzled, she's not really there either.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Except that we aren't hearing that men shouldn't be deadbeat dads - we are only hearing what women are doing "wrong." The onus is on them to take responsibility for the life of another human being, while the fathers frequently walk away from responsibility, making bare minimum child support payments and sometimes not even that.

A little bit OT: we also cannot refuse to teach young girls factual information about sex and birth control in schools and in homes and then complain about the "problem" of single mothers. It cannot be both ways.
Fair points. Although I do think that some people condemn being a dead beat dad and do glorify being a single mom.

You are right we need to address NOT teaching these things in schools to prevent pregnancy - just like we need to address NOT admitting the statistics that show single parent children are more likely to struggle and that it breeds wealth inequality.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:

Is anyone else tired of "Single Mother Worship" in this
country?
Yes

Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
It seems that everywhere I turn, someone is bragging about being a "single mother". Or churches are having a "day of beauty" at a local spa for "single mothers". Or there is a special drive for the children of local single mothers.

An employee several years ago played the "single mother card" with me repeatedly.

She got pregnant in her late teens and decided to keep three children. Oh, she was white by the way.
There were other options. I'll start with birth control.

What about the many women who also have difficult lives but try to make their marriage work and hang in there? Do they get a day at a beauty parlor or extra time off when the husband needs to work late?

I'm not pro-abortion. I'm not anti-woman. There is the CHOICE NOT TO PARENT until you are fiscally able to do so.

Eery time I watch TV there is some woman (and lately man) being either honored or excused because she - or he - is a single parent.

Am I alone in this?

No, I'm tired of the 1% worship in this country.

Single mothers deserve all the worship they get. Most of them hold down the fort and do the best job they can. A lot of them become educated and skilled enough to support their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies