Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 02:19 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Influenza cares not whether you do your "healthy" thing. It can still make you very sick. Sometimes it kills.

It kills people that get the flu shot. I know plenty of people that have still gotten the flu despite getting the flu shot. The flu does care about "healthy". Influenza is more likely to attack a weak host.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
You may not worry about it, but it is preventable deaths.

The fact that you ask about changes in the number of deaths tells me you do not understand influenza at all. The number of deaths fluctuates from season to season.

Flu vaccine is not perfect, but folks who take it, children and adults, seldom end up on a ventilator in the ICU or die from influenza.

Krichton asked a valid question. Have flu deaths gone down with the increased numbers of people taking the vaccine?

Old 04-23-2014, 02:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You are correct, I don't think that we need seat belt laws. Public Education about the risks of not using them? Absolutely. Laws? Not so much.

Yes I realize that parents who make the decision to vaccinate are making parenting decisions just like those who don't choose to vaccinate are making parenting decisions. Of course they are. I don't agree that that decision should ever be taken away so that people can feel safer. Forcing medical interventions is not ok with me.
No one is forcing you. You can decide not to belt your child in your car and accept the consequences, which could be a ticket and a fine or having your child seriously injured or killed in a crash.

You can choose not to vaccinate and accept the consequences, which could be losing access to certain public services or having your child get seriously ill or die from the flu.

Ultimately, sadly, it is the child who actually feels the consequences, however.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No one is forcing you. You can decide not to belt your child in your car and accept the consequences, which could be a ticket and a fine or having your child seriously injured or killed in a crash.

You can choose not to vaccinate and accept the consequences, which could be losing access to certain public services or having your child get seriously ill or die from the flu.

Ultimately, sadly, it is the child who actually feels the consequences, however.
I wear my seatbelt every time I drive. I always buckle my kids in and remind my husband to wear his too. Just because I don't think there needs to be a law does not mean that I don't understand the benefits and make a decision to use seatbelts. What a strange assumption on your part.

You can spare me the scare tactics and the arrogant displays of sadness. I take damn good care of my kids and take their health seriously. I do not believe that the flu vaccine is a healthy intervention at all but that does not mean that I don't care about or take care of my kids health.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Krichton asked a valid question. Have flu deaths gone down with the increased numbers of people taking the vaccine?
Unlike other vaccine preventable diseases, it is not possible to compare deaths "before vaccine" and deaths "after vaccine". There is a new vaccine each year.

The question Krichton asked is the wrong question. The one that has to be answered is who is more likely, in any given year, to get seriously ill (hospital, ICU, die): those who take the vaccine or those who do not.

The answer is that those who vaccinate are less likely to get seriously ill or die.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I wear my seatbelt every time I drive. I always buckle my kids in and remind my husband to wear his too. Just because I don't think there needs to be a law does not mean that I don't understand the benefits and make a decision to use seatbelts. What a strange assumption on your part.

You can spare me the scare tactics and the arrogant displays of sadness. I take damn good care of my kids and take their health seriously. I do not believe that the flu vaccine is a healthy intervention at all but that does not mean that I don't care about or take care of my kids health.
You are the one who is making it an issue of choice. That means having the choice to not use seat belts.

I understand that you do not "believe" in flu vaccine. Unfortunately, your "belief" is based on faulty understanding of the benefits and risks of flu vaccine. You might want to read about the Dunning Kruger effect.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
It's all relative. A 170 kids in 2 years is such an infinitesimal number compared to all the other things that could kill them it's not worth worrying about. Kids get sick, it happens every winter. Are way more kids dying now than ever from the flu or has the number actually dropped? What about 10-30 years ago?

Quite frankly, I would be way more worried about a vaccine that doesn't work
So would I. That's why I'm not concerned about flu vaccine. And I still say, if one of those 170 kids were your kid, you would not be happy.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
So far the only scary thing I have seen here is how many people deny basic science and data.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Unlike other vaccine preventable diseases, it is not possible to compare deaths "before vaccine" and deaths "after vaccine". There is a new vaccine each year.

The question Krichton asked is the wrong question. The one that has to be answered is who is more likely, in any given year, to get seriously ill (hospital, ICU, die): those who take the vaccine or those who do not.

The answer is that those who vaccinate are less likely to get seriously ill or die.
No, I think it is important to know if the flu vaccine is actually decreasing deaths from the flu each year and if the numbers are actually going down as more people get the vaccine.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
No, I think it is important to know if the flu vaccine is actually decreasing deaths from the flu each year and if the numbers are actually going down as more people get the vaccine.
The anti-vax people love to move the goalposts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies