Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You misunderstand. It's not that I think that getting the flu is healthier then not getting the flu. I believe in maintaining health so that one's body can fight disease and infection the natural way. I don't believe that the flu vaccine is health promoting or particularly effective.
In the preschool age group, the nasal vaccine is about 85% effective. Since the vaccine works by using the immune system, it is just as "natural" as your elderberry syrup and vitamins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You all make no sense. If you want your kid to get a vaccine, then you get your kid a vaccine. If another kid doesn't have the vaccine, why do you care, your kid got one. What's the point of a vaccine if not to prevent your child from getting an illness? So how, exactly, is another kid getting the flu going to affect your vaccinated child?

Government needs to stay out of it.
The higher the vaccination rate, the less risk there is that anyone, vaccinated or not, will be exposed to the flu. Since 15% of the children who take the vaccine will not respond to it, that includes that group.

The sad thing is that the folks who do not vaccinate believe that the flu vaccine is dangerous. It is not. The risk of a severe adverse effect from the vaccine is tiny. The risk of severe illness or death from influenza is significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well... if the other parent's children had the vaccine why would they be worried about the non vaccined ? Just saying...
Favorite talking point of the anti-vax crowd. Zimbo answered it pretty well, but some people don't want to be confused with the facts.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
This thread does not need hecklers.

Please cease with the common sense!
Not really heckeling, it seems like a pretty logical question to me. If one believes in the vaccines and their children have had them why worry about what someone else does ?
Me personally, I'm really torn on the subject... I don't trust Big Pharma, or any of the other conglomerates. There is a point when these huge corporations focus more on profits then safety. On the other side of that topic, they have in the past proven to eradicate many horrible diseases.
I do know I don't agree with how they are administered, it seems like too much at one time for a developing immune system.

Sorry Hyperthetic, I think I mis quoted you.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
It is not about who is right or wrong. It is about choice.
Pretty much this in a nutshell ...

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Would you like people who don't live where you are telling you what you should do...like you are trying to do to them?
I'm not the one telling anyone what they must do. I believe people should have a choice.

Quote:
The flu vaccine is effective, and if you can provide data that is not to the point it convinces medical science...feel free. Also feel free to show the effectiveness of your treatments as the alternatives so it will be sold. I never get why with all of these "proven" alternative treatments, and "disproved" vaccines, that the vaccines are still sold and the alternative treatments are still sold (not banned in the conspiracy) but not championed.
Here's some info regarding some of the supplements I mentioned:

Elderberry and the flu: Elderberry Fights Flu Symptoms
Turmeric and the flu: Turmeric & the Flu | LIVESTRONG.COM
Vitamin D3 and the flu: Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
In the preschool age group, the nasal vaccine is about 85% effective. Since the vaccine works by using the immune system, it is just as "natural" as your elderberry syrup and vitamins.
lol

Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Would you like people who don't live where you are telling you what you should do...like you are trying to do to them?

The flu vaccine is effective, and if you can provide data that is not to the point it convinces medical science...feel free. Also feel free to show the effectiveness of your treatments as the alternatives so it will be sold. I never get why with all of these "proven" alternative treatments, and "disproved" vaccines, that the vaccines are still sold and the alternative treatments are still sold (not banned in the conspiracy) but not championed.
It's about choice. There is no proof that having the flu vaccine will immune the person from getting a flu for the season. If getting the vaccine will immune the person from getting the flu, then yes, I will support a mandatory vaccine too, but it is not the case. The truth is, even the when kids are vaccinated, they still get the flu, so it defeated it's purpose.

I do not see why there is a reason for mandatory requirement beside enriching the big pharma.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well... if the other parent's children had the vaccine why would they be worried about the non vaccined ? Just saying...
I'm not sure where the in your post comes from. This is pretty simple stuff.

One small example of how it works:

Quote:
In Minnesota:

According to the Minnesota Department of Health, a recent measles outbreak was caused in part by former doctor and medical researcher Andrew Wakefield’s influential but fraudulent study suggesting a connection between child vaccination and autism. Due to his influence, many children in a Somali community there have chosen not to have their children immunized. Unfortunately, one of these unvaccinated children, was identified with measles after returning from a trip to Kenya. Currently, 15 cases have since been identified, five of which were too young to have received the vaccine, six were of age but were not vaccinated, one was vaccinated and three have unknown vaccine status, with a total of eight hospitalizations having been reported so far.
The entire article:

Why Worry About the Unvaccinated? | Shot of Prevention

In short, there are plenty of people who will be infected by the anti-vaxx crowd. That's plenty of reasons for government to have certain health requirements where appropriate, such as schools and daycare.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
lol
Double that.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
I shared a personal story about our family's recent experience with the flu. In no way was I trying to pass her experience off as evidence of anything. If it makes you feel superior to twist things to fit your agenda and call people "nut jobs" then I suppose you are free to do so.
No, you consistently try to minimize the risk of vaccine preventable disease. I give a damn about public health, there's the difference.

Quote:
I'm not the one telling anyone what they must do. I believe people should have a choice.
When you infect someone else they don't have much of a choice, do they?

Quote:
Here's some info regarding some of the supplements I mentioned:

Elderberry and the flu: Elderberry Fights Flu Symptoms
Turmeric and the flu: Turmeric & the Flu | LIVESTRONG.COM
Vitamin D3 and the flu: Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Ah yes, good old elderberry, or as the educated call it, Sambucus nigra, which contains cyanogenic glycosides.....aka CYANIDE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies