Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,081,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Sounds so simple.

Should I rack up thousands of dollars of inescapable debt to educate myself?

That should up my value.
And thus, in large part, because of attitudes as this, we have income inequality.

Last edited by Erratikmind; 04-22-2014 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,622,454 times
Quote:
Are you ever going to make a point?
Because you are so closed minded... And thus, in large part, because of attitudes as this, the poor will always be among us. If you want income "equality" live in a communist country, even there, there are elites and poverty, no in between.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 AM

1,070 posts, read 736,136 times
How can you make these good paying jobs to come back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, there is very real income inequality. And it's not the same as what we had here in the 1950s-1980s. It is due to globalization and off-shoring of previously well-paying manufacturing jobs, resulting in a structural employment deficit in this country that no amount of Democrat or Republican policy is able to reverse.

The problem with conservatives is that they are blind to this structural jobs deficit and think we still live in the 1950s.

The problem with liberals is that the only solution they offer is to redistribute money from the fewer rich to the poor.

What we need is for the blue collar jobs to come back to America. That is the only thing that will fix this problem.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,248,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
You can not make them.

But...things can be done to make the US more competitive.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,388,062 times
Quote:
Sounds so simple.

That should up my value.
ummm, employers are begging for people who understand the role that customers and revenues play in business survival, for people who can leave their cell phones alone during working hours, for people who know how to answer a telephone or talk to prospects or customers in effective ways, who show up on time, who have good attitudes, who have a decent work ethic, who show initiative, who take responsibility, who seek to increase their value to the enterprise.

All this is free, except for the effort. So no, do not finance a degree in Gender Studies and then complain about your loans.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The Poor:
Think of today, think of survival. If they get money they buy things instead of using money to help them move out. If they do get educated or land a great job the government takes some of their profits through taxation increasing the hardship of moving out of poverty. Taxes will keep the people who are trying poor.

The Middle Class:
Think monthly. As they become more successful they use (bad) debt to buy liabilities (stuff). They can do as the rich do and use (good) debt, OPM to buy assets (to put money in their pockets) but most middle class put the horse before the cart so they end up getting caught in a rat race.

This group depends on income instead of wealth (because they didn't build their wealth yet). Taxation makes it hard to move up because income (not wealth) is taxed making it difficult for them to build their wealth. Taxes help you stay middle class.

The Rich:
They think long term and use money to buy assets that will put money in their pocket. The offsetting money of those assets pay for their liabilities. By investing their money for example real-estate (provides housing for people who can't afford to buy). By investing money into companies, it helps companies grow which results more employment. Yes, they live off the resulting profit of investing but remember they are taking a risk and can also lose. The rich understand that their education never ends. They work by educating themselves so they can invest well (for profit).

I don't see the issue that the left has because if they do well then others also win.
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You can not make them.

But...things can be done to make the US more competitive.
Yes, indeed.

Quote:
If companies aren't social institutions and only exist to create profit, then stop lying to me when you say that big business is good for society.
Corporations and Big Business are not the same thing. You can be pro-Big Business and anti-Corporation, like I am.

Big Business is not a "social institution," but corporations are.

Quote:
I got 2 additional undergraduate degrees, plus two graduate degrees without Student Loans.

Quote:
That should up my value.
Or you could do it for the love of knowledge.

Quote:
If investing in the stock market created jobs, then we would have a record high amount of jobs right now, since the Dow is at record highs.
There are a record high amount of jobs.....they're just not being created in the US.

Quote:
But it's easy to ignore facts for the delusional.
No, the delusional one is the person who looks at a map of Earth and sees only the US.

Quote:
Companies are not social institutions.
Publicly traded corporations are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If I buy 1,000 GM, how does that create jobs?
It provides GM with Capital -- in the form of cash/credit --- to use to acquire additional Capital, such as facilities, labor or machinery to increase production to match demand globally.

Quote:
For the record, I'm opposed to the Fed buying up treasuries to prop up the stock market, it's yet another example of public money being used to prop up the rich.
And what if the Federal Reserve was propping up the Stock Market to prevent foreign corporations from buying up stocks in US corporations and then firing the American workers and selling off the assets?

Ooooops.

Quote:
By calling them lazy or gang members or drug users?
So, what, exactly are they producing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
There is income inequality.
Only in your mind.

Quote:
Are you going to address the facts in that article or change the topic?
The article does nothing except explain that the Left-Wing has found a new way to lie.

Institutionally....

Mircea

Old 04-22-2014, 12:26 PM

88,680 posts, read 44,457,584 times
Quote:
GM IS paying those pensions, and nearly bankrupted itself, yet it didnt keep people from investing in GM.
GM is paying the pensions for every pension fund that owns GM shares? Prove that.

Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about, and the scary part is you think you do.
As I've clearly illustrated above, it's YOU who have no idea what you're talking about. The ignorance is simply astonishing.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Really? You can't be that stupid???
Yes, they can be that stupid. That's the poster who thinks GM is paying the pensions for all the pension funds that own GM shares.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It provides GM with Capital -- in the form of cash/credit --- to use to acquire additional Capital, such as facilities, labor or machinery to increase production to match demand globally.
I doubt the poster you responded to will understand that. He/she thinks GM pays the pensions for every pension fund that owns GM shares.
Quote:
GM IS paying those pensions, and nearly bankrupted itself
I would like to see proof from Ecstatic Magnet that GM is paying CalPERS' pensions.

CalPERS owns over 3.5 million shares of GM. Page 112:
https://www.calpers.ca.gov/eip-docs/...eport-2013.pdf

Last edited by InformedConsent; 04-22-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 02:06 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,662,810 times
Quote:
In an economy thats 40% consumer spending, it doesn't bode well when consumers are having less and less money, at the expense of the super rich getting richer.
But you didn't say consumers are having less and less money. And that's good because it's not true. Consumer spending has gone up ever year over the past 12 years except in 2009.

George Soros making more money does not impact me at all. It does not change my spending pattern and does not reduce consumer spending at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies