Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well just to point out, Chicago's murder rate and its overall crime rate are pretty much in the middle of the pack for larger cities in the USA - they just happen to be higher than the #1 and #2 cities (which are much much lower than average).

Also on the gun thing, I mean I'm pretty much open to conceal and carry, but I have to every time I see people making all these comments that it's going to have an impact on the gun crimes in Chicago.

A large majority of the gun crimes are young males in select dangerous neighborhoods who run around after dark shooting at other young males. Back and forth, the armed criminal vs the armed criminal or someone who they assume is armed - and probably is at many times. They just try to catch each other when they have their guard down and couldn't shoot back first.

Conceal and carry sounds good for regular old folks protecting themselves - but that's NOT what drives the crimes in Chicago. The gangbangers couldn't care less about concel and carry, they don't know the law and don't bother themselves finding out. It's far beyond their scope and thought process. They assume the people they're shooting are armed already.

There are an estimated 100,000 gangbangers in the city, and they have a murder rate of around 220/100,000. The other 94.4% of people in the city have a murder rate of 5/100,000 (or about the national average).

The murder rate sharply correlates to the economic status of people as well. Whites and Asians tend to be better off in the city, make up over 1/3 of the population and have a murder rate of around 1.6/100,000. Blacks have more economic issues, are around 1/3 of the population and have a rate of around 39/100,000. Hispanics are middle of the road, are a bit less than 1/3 of the population and have a rate of around 8/100,000.
I have the same sentiment towards conceal and carry. I'm okay with having it. I consider it your right as an American citizen to do that. And like you, I see all of these arguments between "pro gun" and "pro gun-control" and shudder.

Gun politics is a game. It is being played from a perspective of "give everyone guns" or "take guns away". Being able to defend yourself is very important. However, the idea of "gang bangers will get the message if we start shooting them", well, it doesn't work. As you say, "one criminal shooting another". Such persons are used to the idea of getting killed by gun fire. In fact, I watched an episode of Gangland one night. It was about gangs in Milwaukee. One man described their way of life as "live fast, die young, have a good-looking corpse". Another woman described how they lived as "live by the sword, die by the sword". One person asked one of the gang members "where do you see yourself at 30?". The gang member just laughed. Basically, gang bangers don't expect to live long, and often don't care if they live or die, so they have no problem taking someone else out.

The correlation with poverty rate and murder rate seems right. I would also look at joblessness and education attainment as well. I would also account for family status. Consider if said person came from a 2 parent home, a single parent home, or raised by the state.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing I'm seeing out of all of this is that few people are interested in solving problems. It is all about "my politcal view is better than yours" kind of crap. Solving solutions would require putting aside political agendas and loyalties and actually trying to solve problems. It feels more like a war than a debate.
There in lies the problem, some political agendas, loyalties, views, and beliefs did cause this problem, why should we listen to them?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I have the same sentiment towards conceal and carry. I'm okay with having it. I consider it your right as an American citizen to do that. And like you, I see all of these arguments between "pro gun" and "pro gun-control" and shudder.

Gun politics is a game. It is being played from a perspective of "give everyone guns" or "take guns away". Being able to defend yourself is very important. However, the idea of "gang bangers will get the message if we start shooting them", well, it doesn't work. As you say, "one criminal shooting another". Such persons are used to the idea of getting killed by gun fire. In fact, I watched an episode of Gangland one night. It was about gangs in Milwaukee. One man described their way of life as "live fast, die young, have a good-looking corpse". Another woman described how they lived as "live by the sword, die by the sword". One person asked one of the gang members "where do you see yourself at 30?". The gang member just laughed. Basically, gang bangers don't expect to live long, and often don't care if they live or die, so they have no problem taking someone else out.

The correlation with poverty rate and murder rate seems right. I would also look at joblessness and education attainment as well. I would also account for family status. Consider if said person came from a 2 parent home, a single parent home, or raised by the state.
Yes their is a correlation with poverty and education, unfortunately one side is called every name in the book when they want to help by one side that needs a large of dependent, uneducated people to exploit for a vote..

To those who say we need to spend more money, we have The Way On Poverty has been fought for the last 50 years....Poverty has clearly won.. When you subsidize something you always get more of it.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Yes their is a correlation with poverty and education, unfortunately one side is called every name in the book when they want to help by one side that needs a large of dependent, uneducated people to exploit for a vote..
You keep saying this, but have done nothing to show it is the truth...

Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
You keep saying this, but have done nothing to show it is the truth...
Who blocks school vouchers and charter schools?

Who overtaxes, and over-regulates businesses?

Who calls one said racist when they approach people living in the inner city, and when they don't approach them still calls them racist?

Who pass law after law leaving them helpless against criminals and gangs?

Who wants to flood this nation with up to 30,000,000 unskilled workers making it hard to get by, let alone get ahead?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...e-s-right.html

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Who blocks school vouchers and charter schools?

Who overtaxes, and over-regulates businesses?

Who calls one said racist when they approach people living in the inner city, and when they don't approach them still calls them racist?

Who pass law after law leaving them helpless against criminals and gangs?

Who wants to flood this nation with up to 30,000,000 unskilled workers making it hard to get by, let alone get ahead?

In Defense of Paul Ryan: He Isn
Because the GOP has been so active in their inner city outreach. If they can honestly make their case and have a good one, why don't they?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Because the GOP has been so active in their inner city outreach. If they can honestly make their case and have a good one, why don't they?
Because every time we do the race hustlers and the left scream "racist "until their throat bleed...And the media seemingly does not care or carries water for the Democratic Party..

Factor in SEIU and ACORN spreading out right lies....

Like Paul Ryan..Made valid points proposed ideas and solutions but was called every name in the book..

Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Because every time we do the race hustlers and the left scream "racist "until their throat bleed...And the media seemingly does not care or carries water for the Democratic Party..

Factor in SEIU and ACORN spreading out right lies....

Like Paul Ryan..Made valid points proposed ideas and solutions but was called every name in the book..
Lol, your defense is "when we present our political beliefs our opponents criticize us". Hello? Do you know how politics work? Yes, the one side attacks the other, just like the right screams "gun grab" until their throats bleed. Factor in the NRA spreading outright lies... Like Joe Manchin...Made valid points proposed ideas and solutions but was called every name in the book...

That's a lame, lazy excuse and you know it. Instead of deflecting, how about a little self-reflection on why the GOP can't even manage double digits in those votes.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
There in lies the problem, some political agendas, loyalties, views, and beliefs did cause this problem, why should we listen to them?
Is bringing politics into this helping at all?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Is bringing politics into this helping at all?
It helps some people that can only view their environment in Dem-Repub terms. But for the original topic of the thread, no it isn't political. But that doesn't stop some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies