Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yeah, they do. If they want to meet the standards of the tax-exempt classification they desire. But if they don't care about the tax exemption, and merely want to exercise their right to free speech, THEN they don't have to.
Seasongood v IRS 1955 states otherwise unless an organization spends more than 5% of their costs..

How much does free speech cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I didnt at all change the question.. Why are you avoiding it..

Again, if PPAC doesnt exist and Congress decided it would outlaw abortion, do you think PP shouldnt have the right to make public comments on how it would affect women and who was voting for it?

Of course but thats not the point..

THEY DONT HAVE TO...
I'm not sure comments on how it would affect women is political activism. Abortion is a women's issue. Access to abortion does affect women. And who is voting how is a matter of public record.

Now, donating money to candidates, and funding attacks against candidates, is a different matter. And frankly, my position regarding tax-exempt status is and always has been that PACs should not have tax-exempt status, period. If your function is political, then you should not be tax-exempt. That, of course, is not how the laws are currently enforced. And our discussion is about how the laws are currently enforced.

This thread remains about how a certain organization that had a certain tax-exempt status failed to meet the criteria that defined that tax-exempt status, and so forfeited that tax-exempt status. As far as I can tell, you believe that forfeiting their tax-exempt status somehow impedes their freedom of speech. I can't see how, since they are as free to speak out now as they were before, and clearly they felt free to speak out before, or they would not have done so.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Except of course you cant cite for me the law passed by Congress which says a non profit cant have a first amendment right to speech...
That US Code, that's law passed by Congress. For someone who knows the law inside and out, well.....

Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Seasongood v IRS 1955 states otherwise unless an organization spends more than 5% of their costs..

How much does free speech cost?
I would have to say that you and the people on the right are the ones putting a price tag on free speech. After all, you're the one insisting that denying someone a tax exemption is somehow denying someone free speech.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I would have to say that you and the people on the right are the ones putting a price tag on free speech. After all, you're the one insisting that denying someone a tax exemption is somehow denying someone free speech.
Everyone by now knows that corporations are people and entitled to free speech, and being a non profit doesnt mean thats wrong.

YOU are the one supporting the denial of free speech based upon some classification..

Hey, I got it, why dont we deny all blacks the right to free speech, if we passed a law, you'd be ok with it..

Just stop embarassing yourself

Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
That US Code, that's law passed by Congress. For someone who knows the law inside and out, well.....
thats incorrect. Congress passed 501h law because there was no established standard previously on what "substantial" involvement in politics non profits were allowed to partake.

Churches have a right to engage in a limited amount of lobbying activity, as long as such activity does not constitute a "substantial" part of their activities, and keep total expenses under $1M per 4911c rules. Churches are classified as 501c3, the same as the group in question on this thread.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
501c4 donations are not tax deductible so it doesnt matter if they are there for political purposes or not.

I did not state that donors to these organizations could get a tax benefit, the issue is the organization's tax exemption from federal taxes.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,342 times
Quote:
That wasn't the question. YOU changed the question.

PPAC does exist. Planned Parenthood created it expressly to meet the legal requirements.

And Patrick Henry could create it's own PAC as well. Right????
And when people donate to planned parenthood they can specify what the funds are used for. Abortions for women who have been raped, or incest or who have to terminate due to a medical condition.

They also can specify if the funds are to be used for political purposes.

When people usually donate to a charity that claims to help people they don't expect their money to be used for political purposes.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I did not state that donors to these organizations could get a tax benefit, the issue is the organization's tax exemption from federal taxes.
Why is that an issue?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
And when people donate to planned parenthood they can specify what the funds are used for. Abortions for women who have been raped, or incest or who have to terminate due to a medical condition.

They also can specify if the funds are to be used for political purposes.

When people usually donate to a charity that claims to help people they don't expect their money to be used for political purposes.
A lot of labor unions are classified as 501c3 status, the same as the OP..

You arent going to suggest that unions dont get involved with political activities, are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies