Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM

271 posts, read 341,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Well we have laws in place against discrimination. Just like we already have laws about equal pay, and Dems want MORE laws instead of just enforcing existing laws.

But you're right, whether it was done for right reasons is fine and all, but that time is indeed behind us. You either qualify and make the cut based on abilities, experience, capabilities or you dont. End of story.

Discrimination isn't what is holding some races back anyways. Its their culture from parenting to responsibility.
We do NOT have laws against discrimination. Let me repeat, we do NOT have laws against discrimination. You have laws to prevent people from SAYING that they are discriminating based on race,gender,etc. it's only illegal to SAY you won't hire a Black person,or allow a Black person into an establishment. You can and do still practice this but you reword the reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello212 View Post
You are right Affirmative Action was a joke because whites quickly co-opted it and it ended up benefitting whites more than any group. Black people are going to have to take reparations cases to the international courts like the carribean nations are doing.

Black people have been marginalized and disenfranchised by white supremacist laws from day one,and Blacks keep hoping and praying one day that the dominant society will wake up and have this moral epiphany,and that's never going to happen. This ruling today should be motivation for Blacks to file a reparations case against the US
Then move to a Caribbean country. Take your racism with you.

Black people are not held back. Many hold themselves back. Quit blaming everyone else. Its your culture. Its how you raise your kids. Its how you parent or dont parent. Its how you behave in and out of public. Its not the big bad white mans fault.

The town I live in near New Haven has a high black population. I see it every damn day. And it absolutely is their culture. And you know something, even if I felt like the "Man" was against me, I would not act or carry on like some people do. Take some damn personal responsibility and change your culture. And sometimes its starting with the little things. Like when your pumping you gas, not everyone wants to hear your damn music, even more so when its loud bass and the f bomb and N word every other word. Dont walk around with your kids yelling and cursing at em. Sorry to go off on a tangent, but like I said, its even the little things. A large portion of the black community needs a cultural make over.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Unfortunately that time is NOT behind us. Race based discrimination never went anywhere. The laws and policies were just reworded. Now the law makers are trying to make it so that they don't have to hide the white supremacist policies anymore
What a load of baloney. How could you ever be for AA? You want a job because of your skin color? Or would you rather have that job because you were the best qualified candidate? AA is nothing but patronization, and I can't believe anyone would allow themselves, gleefully, to be patronized.

As for why you don't get the job, nothing is going to change if they don't like you for some reason. It could be that they don't like the way you look, (doesn't have to be anything about skin color, it could be your hair, your teeth, your clothing, whatever), they don't like your voice, they don't like your nervousness in the interview, your breath stunk, you don't drive a nice enough car, whatever it is, all they are ever going to tell you is: "We have filled the position with another candidate". So what, exactly, has that AA done for you?

Squat, that's what.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
We do NOT have laws against discrimination. Let me repeat, we do NOT have laws against discrimination. You have laws to prevent people from SAYING that they are discriminating based on race,gender,etc. it's only illegal to SAY you won't hire a Black person,or allow a Black person into an establishment. You can and do still practice this but you reword the reasons.
We also have ways to address this. If there is a company in an area with say 40% minorities and 5% of their workforce is a minority you can bet the government is going to be down their backs.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
You are right Affirmative Action was a joke because whites quickly co-opted it and it ended up benefitting whites more than any group. Black people are going to have to take reparations cases to the international courts like the carribean nations are doing.

Black people have been marginalized and disenfranchised by white supremacist laws from day one,and Blacks keep hoping and praying one day that the dominant society will wake up and have this moral epiphany,and that's never going to happen. This ruling today should be motivation for Blacks to file a reparations case against the US
Reparations for who? Not a single slave is alive today. Just want yet more free money? Are you saying blacks do not have the intelligence to make money on their own?

Blacks have marginalized and disfranchised themselves, and have no one to blame other than themselves. Instead of constantly blaming others, or seeking out far fetched BS that some Egyptian civilization was black in some lame attempt to give credibility to blacks, how about solving issues negatively impacting the black community like single parents and crime? But no, it is simply to sit back and blame everyone for your problems.

I do not even want to say "blacks" as not all, probably even a minority, of blacks even would agree with your screwed vision. Imagine if Obama sat back in life and blamed everything on whites, well, he can blame being president on whites I guess.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We also have ways to address this. If there is a company in an area with say 40% minorities and 5% of their workforce is a minority you can bet the government is going to be down their backs.
No, the gov will not be. It is not how many people there are according to population, but to availability of the skill. So while a specific job like lead engineer has only 5% of its workforce as minority, the availability for this skills among minorities may only be 5% or less. The gov uses the EEO census tool for determining availability.

Just like women in construction, which the gov declared a 6.9% goal or something like that for female workers, yet the country has more females than males.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
There are laws against discrimination, these laws are based on disparate treatment or disparate impact. You obviously do not have a clue regarding EEO laws and how they are applied, investigated, and enforced.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 PM

424 posts, read 593,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sotomayor is incensed and rightly so. AA was about to give an unneeded advantage to people like her, the millions of illegals and their children that have invaded the US. I can understand AA to help blacks catch up in years gone by, but foreign hispanics were all but handed the keys to the kingdom in the recent past. They do not deserve or need affirmative actions.
What an idiotic thing to say. Sotomayor is not the child of illegals. She's Puerto Rican, who are privileged with being US citizens naturally like all other states/common wealths like Guam.

Last edited by NYClass; 04-22-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
im mixed on this, as i do consider legacy admissions to be a form of affirmative action for whites, specifically white males who should not be on the campus to begin with, and only got in because of dad going there and donating money. i understand that
Until you can show us statistics and percentages on the number of "legacy" candidates being admitted because of "legacy" or "dad's money", one can only dismiss your assertion as an exaggeration not backed up by fact.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. So show us the statistics.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
What an idiotic thing to say. Sotomayor is not the child of illegals. She's Puerto Rico, who are privileged with being US citizens naturally like all other states/common wealths like Guam.
She is on the Supreme Court because she is female and Hispanic, not because she is even close to being the best man for the job. She wants other Hispanics to enjoy the unfair advantage of ethnicity that she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies