Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I agree for the most part as well. I'm in favor of doing any drugs you want as long as it doesn't effect the health of others.

As far as I know the jury is still out on second-hand vapor. Could be wrong.

All I was saying is that it took/is taking forever for cigs to be banned in public areas and that if e-cigs got the same diagnosis as traditional cigs I would hate to see decades pass before we could get them out of the public arena.
The post you wrote this in reply to was about regular cigs. I don't support banning them in privately owned businesses open to the public, nor do I support banning e-cigs in privately owned businesses open to the public. Requiring signage indicating whether they are allowed or not allowed is appropriate, regardless of what we may find out about the health effects of e-products in the future.

Public places though? Like post offices, public transit, other government buildings, or anywhere else the public has a legal right to be? Yes. Those places should be smoke free for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Argument is E-cigs advertise to the underage which eventually leads to them smoking tobacco. Yeah it's dumb
I've heard people say they are marketing to kids but honestly, I don't understand how. Is it because they have different flavors, like cherry, r Dr. Pepper or whatever? I guess adults don't enjoy those flavors so they have to be marketing to kids....

Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,350,584 times
Nicotine is highly addictive, and the kiddos love it, so the threat is that e-cigs will hook people on tobacco use just as it is close to becoming obsolete in traditional forms. Tobacco related diseases are so devastating to public health budgets that nobody wants to extend that societal misery. And then there is the fear that if they don't clamp down now they could leave the door open to liability lawsuits later. Anybody who thinks e-cig users are only exhaling vapor is indulging in fantasy. What, the nicotine plus various chemicals in the e-cig juice all just magically deplanes in the user's lungs?

Oh, yeah, then there is that other reason... people have discovered that marijuana oils can also be used in e-cigs, so instead of faux-smoking they're actually toking, and authorities are concerned about stealth-mode weed use.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd imagine they want to ban e-cigs because they are just another way to deliver nicotine into the body and if the whole idea is to rid college grounds of nicotine consumption the idea of e-cigs being a method to cease smoking can also be an inducement to start smoking.Basically nicotine is just another drug and i guess the college doesnt want people doing drugs on campus..
I wonder if they were all drinking coffee at that meeting where they came up with this zero tolerance for any drugs, including nicotine.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:32 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,642,217 times
My governor, Mary Fallin, signed a ban for ecigs on state property. Her reason: she wants to ban tobacco.

I sent her an email letting her know how dumb she is. It gets so old hearing babbling fools on TV, be it government or so-called medical experts, equate ecigs with tobacco. It would be so nice if those who don't have a clue would just stifle themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd imagine they want to ban e-cigs because they are just another way to deliver nicotine into the body and if the whole idea is to rid college grounds of nicotine consumption the idea of e-cigs being a method to cease smoking can also be an inducement to start smoking.Basically nicotine is just another drug and i guess the college doesnt want people doing drugs on campus..
Then why don't they ban stupid patches, gum, etc?

It has nothing to do with health. It has EVERYTHING to do with figuring out a way to tax more.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 AM

23,164 posts, read 26,118,923 times
This type of thing is the result of the federal law that was passed some time ago banning common sense.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times
Why? Because some people just want to control others.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 10 hours ago)

27,541 posts, read 16,018,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with figuring out a way to tax more.
this

Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
I support the sales of all of the currently banned drugs in state owned stores as we have done with high proof booze in New Hampshire for decades. The primary reason for the state owned stores is to control access by children and to collect enough profit to treat addicts that wish to quit.

FWIW - e-cigs are just the same a regular cigs without the high temperature byproducts or the obnoxious smell. They should be prohibited in public places but not in private residences.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,988,147 times
Why ban E-cigs? It's because some people are not happy with trying to control their lives they want to control every ones lives. They tell you what you can eat, drink, wear and they will not be happy until they have stuffed the whole of society into their idea of a social box, all of this in the guise of "we know what is best for you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies