Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 PM

21 posts, read 28,255 times

Advertisements

Clemson University (South Carolina) is thinking about banning all tobacco products on campus, INCLUDING e-cigarettes. They're following the College of Charleston and Medical University of South Carolina and the University of South Carolina have all banned tobacco on their entire campuses. Story is in the Post and Courier on Tuesday, April 22. You can almost see their point on tobacco, because of the second-hand smoke problem. But that problem DOESN'T EXIST with e-cigs! So why include them in the ban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 PM

129 posts, read 101,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn54 View Post
But that problem DOESN'T EXIST with e-cigs! So why include them in the ban?
Because liberals gonna lib, that's why.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Aren't scientists still checking out the effects of second-hand vapor?

I suppose banning it til some sound results come in is a good precaution.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
So why include them in the ban?
I'd imagine they want to ban e-cigs because they are just another way to deliver nicotine into the body and if the whole idea is to rid college grounds of nicotine consumption the idea of e-cigs being a method to cease smoking can also be an inducement to start smoking.Basically nicotine is just another drug and i guess the college doesnt want people doing drugs on campus..

Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Clemson University (South Carolina) is thinking about banning all tobacco products on campus, INCLUDING e-cigarettes. They're following the College of Charleston and Medical University of South Carolina and the University of South Carolina have all banned tobacco on their entire campuses. Story is in the Post and Courier on Tuesday, April 22. You can almost see their point on tobacco, because of the second-hand smoke problem. But that problem DOESN'T EXIST with e-cigs! So why include them in the ban?
The answer to your question is.... social engineering and manipulation. Think that's far fetched? Just read the statements made by LA and NY City Council Members about why they enacted bans on e-products in public. They said they "didn't want e-products to undo the years of work it took to place a stigma on smokers and the act of smoking itself"... They "didn't want e-products to re-normalize the sight of smoking in public places" Government officials openly admitting that their intent is to place a stigma on certain people. All this, without any serious evidence of harm to direct users from e-products, let alone passerby.

The goal is to influence and control the way you think, and therefore the way you act. They are not content to give the public information and let them make their own choices and decisions about e-products. Their intent Is to manipulate society into making choices that they have pre-determined is best for us while making us think we have arrived at these conclusions all on our own.

Basically the goal is to brainwash people in to believing negative stereotypes about not only e-products and traditional tobacco products themselves, but also about the people who use them so that we will not smoke. Don't be a sheeple, think for yourself, educate yourself, and make your own decisions. Don't let the nanny state do it for you.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-23-2014 at 01:58 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Aren't scientists still checking out the effects of second-hand vapor?

I suppose banning it til some sound results come in is a good precaution.
You're serious?

When we start banning things and passing regulations based on unfounded and unproven fears, we may as well just revert back to the days where humans thought illness was caused by demons.

And btw, even if e-cigs were to get a clean bill of health, laws regulating their use in public will never be repealed or amended for the reasons I outlined in the post above this one.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You're serious?

When we start banning things and passing regulations based on unfounded and unproven fears, we may as well just revert back to the days where humans thought illness was caused by demons.

And btw, even if e-cigs were to get a clean bill of health, laws regulating their use in public will never be repealed or amended for the reasons I outlined in the post above this one.
I'll actually buy your argument to a large extent.

However

It also goes both ways. It took decades (and we still aren't all the way there yet) to get smoking and its effects confined to the individual who chooses to engage in the activity even though science had concluded it was harming others.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'll actually buy your argument to a large extent.

However

It also goes both ways. It took decades (and we still aren't all the way there yet) to get smoking and its effects confined to the individual who chooses to engage in the activity even though science had concluded it was harming others.
I don't support smoking bans on traditional cigarettes either. They are a violation of private property rights and an infringement on the free market....
If I own a bar and I let people smoke.... if you walk in and see people smoking and continue to patronize my bar, then you have accepted the risks associated and you are not being forced to inhale second hand smoke, you are voluntarily doing so of your own free will to spite the known risks.
The only places where smoking bans of any kind are appropriate are truly public places, like post offices, public transit, or anywhere the public at large has a legal right to be.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:10 AM

579 posts, read 762,042 times
Argument is E-cigs advertise to the underage which eventually leads to them smoking tobacco. Yeah it's dumb

Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I don't support smoking bans on traditional cigarettes either. They are a violation of private property rights and an infringement on the free market....
If I own a bar and I let people smoke.... if you walk in and see people smoking and continue to patronize my bar, then you have accepted the risks associated and you are not being forced to inhale second hand smoke.
The only places where smoking bans of any kind are appropriate are truly public places, like post offices, public transit, or anywhere the public at large has a legal right to be.
I agree for the most part as well. I'm in favor of doing any drugs you want as long as it doesn't effect the health of others.

As far as I know the jury is still out on second-hand vapor. Could be wrong.

All I was saying is that it took/is taking forever for cigs to be banned in public areas and that if e-cigs got the same diagnosis as traditional cigs I would hate to see decades pass before we could get them out of the public arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies