Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
Miami Beach (United States) (AFP) - Warm sunshine and sandy beaches make south Florida and its crown city, Miami, a haven for tourists, but the area is increasingly endangered by sea level rise, experts said Tuesday.

During a special Senate hearing held in Miami Beach, Senator Bill Nelson described south Florida as "Ground Zero" for climate change and its threats to coastal communities.

Florida is 'Ground Zero' for sea level rise

And they keep building, every square inch available. Real estate is booming, may I say exploding. It's like all the oligarchs of the world are choosing to live at ground zero. You all know what's going to happen when a category 5 hurricane hits, right? One good thing about Mother Nature is that she doesn't get mad, she gets even.

I get mad sometimes because I can't get even, but that's bad for your health.
This is laughable. "Sea level rise?" What makes these people continue to believe the sea level is going to rise?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 AM

924 posts, read 667,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
So, please explain WHY nothing is being done to alleviate the problem?
WHEN will they start building the seawalls and dikes to prevent the inevitable flooding?
WHEN will they purchase and install the pumps to remove the inevitable leakage around or through the seawalls and dikes?
WHEN will "they" stop the gnashing of teeth, wailing, and doom and gloom predictions and actually DO something?
As far as I am concerned, the reasons are very simple:
1. "THEY" know any such effort will be useless, because they can't stop what is going to happen.
or
2. "THEY" know that all the doom and gloom predictions are false, so there is no need to build such an expensive protective structure.

I do not know which is correct, or if either is correct. Take your pick, and believe what you will.
Because people spend their days spreading disinformation about climate change on the internet, draining public knowledge, support, and integrity.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-23-2014 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not another poster

Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post

And they keep building, every square inch available. Real estate is booming, may I say exploding. It's like all the oligarchs of the world are choosing to live at ground zero. You all know what's going to happen when a category 5 hurricane hits, right?
Yes, they will repair any damage and enjoy the sun and ocean.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
WHEN will they start building the seawalls and dikes to prevent the inevitable flooding?
WHEN will they purchase and install the pumps to remove the inevitable leakage around or through the seawalls and dikes?
WHEN will "they" stop the gnashing of teeth, wailing, and doom and gloom predictions and actually DO something?
1. "THEY" know any such effort will be useless, because they can't stop what is going to happen.
or
2. "THEY" know that all the doom and gloom predictions are false, so there is no need to build such an expensive protective structure.

I do not know which is correct, or if either is correct. Take your pick, and believe what you will.
But you forgot the real reasons: a) budget/funding; b) politics (closely related).

I think this is a perfect example of appropriate spending in reaction to man-made climate change: protecting ourselves from the worst of what Mother Nature can deliver.

One party doesn't want to spend the money and constantly denies the reality/validity of these threats. The other party might be willing but doesn't have the focus that you have frankly.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Question for the OP - why do you care if people disregard all of your dire warnings and build/buy near the ocean? I would assume you'll be living somewhere well past 200' above sea level, and laughing at all the "oligarchs" in their seaside palaces when the sea levels consume them in their hubris, so why do you care what they do? Are you subsidizing their purchases? Are you paying rents on seaside condos?

Here's another question - if you believe as you do, and you just KNOW sea levels are going to rise catastrophically, and you have graphs and models that tell you precisely how much...why not buy interior land near the beach, but above that sea level point, so that when your worst fears are realized, you just moved up to beachfront property and can bank a huge profit?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
or

Never will they build seawalls, eye pollution.
Never because the walls will never be built.
Never because then the money train will stop.

And they will never worry about it because they will all be dead by then.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Has anyone looked at Florida on Google Maps? It is pretty much mostly swampland and lakes... I can't understand anybody's decision to build a home down there... Florida is like one big sinkhole... I love the state but real estate-wise its like building in Las Vegas, NV... except they don't have any water over there (how long do you think that is going to last?)... Don't get me wrong, I think Florida and Las Vegas are great but it doesn't make a lot of sense... eventually Florida is going to be underwater... its inevitable, sorry global warming fanatics, you can't claim that.... Las Vegas is eventually not going to get any water for their residents... oh well, its not my dime and don't ask for my dime, liberals...

Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Has anyone looked at Florida on Google Maps? It is pretty much mostly swampland and lakes... I can't understand anybody's decision to build a home down there... Florida is like one big sinkhole... I love the state but real estate-wise its like building in Las Vegas, NV... except they don't have any water over there (how long do you think that is going to last?)... Don't get me wrong, I think Florida and Las Vegas are great but it doesn't make a lot of sense...
As long as there are people who want to live in nicer weather near the water.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:00 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
So is the sea level rising or is the ground moving, ie sinking lower in the water?

Like dipping an oreo cookie in a glass of milk and forgetting the displacement of the cookie has caused the milk to rise.

The earth's land masses are constantly moving and are dynamic. the stability we see from our nanosecond flash of time conflicts with the earths time reference maked in eons.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I wonder what the rates are for Venice Italy?

They get inundated every year and the land is sinking.
For Italy I only see two stations, Genova and Trieste. If you look to the left you can pick by state and there is numerous stations for each state. Below that is a link for global stations.

Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides & Currents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies