Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 PM

663 posts, read 503,682 times

Advertisements

Miami Beach (United States) (AFP) - Warm sunshine and sandy beaches make south Florida and its crown city, Miami, a haven for tourists, but the area is increasingly endangered by sea level rise, experts said Tuesday.

During a special Senate hearing held in Miami Beach, Senator Bill Nelson described south Florida as "Ground Zero" for climate change and its threats to coastal communities.

Florida is 'Ground Zero' for sea level rise

And they keep building, every square inch available. Real estate is booming, may I say exploding. It's like all the oligarchs of the world are choosing to live at ground zero. You all know what's going to happen when a category 5 hurricane hits, right? One good thing about Mother Nature is that she doesn't get mad, she gets even.

I get mad sometimes because I can't get even, but that's bad for your health.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Sea Level Trends - Miami Beach, Florida - NOAA Tides & Currents

Longer timeline:

Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
Miami Beach (United States) (AFP) - Warm sunshine and sandy beaches make south Florida and its crown city, Miami, a haven for tourists, but the area is increasingly endangered by sea level rise, experts said Tuesday.

During a special Senate hearing held in Miami Beach, Senator Bill Nelson described south Florida as "Ground Zero" for climate change and its threats to coastal communities.

And they keep building, every square inch available. Real estate is booming, may I say exploding. It's like all the oligarchs of the world are choosing to live at ground zero. You all know what's going to happen when a category 5 hurricane hits, right? One good thing about Mother Nature is that she doesn't get mad, she gets even.

Jefferson Parish and New Orleans are probably still worse off then Miami as they are below sea level.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post

yep 2.0 mm per year...that means....150 years to rise 1 foot
1 foot= 304 mm

btw at many times over the millions of years all of florida has been under water

Old 04-23-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Jefferson Parish and New Orleans are probably still worse off then Miami as they are below sea level.
Actually there is more to it than just the level of the sea, if you look at any of those graphs from the link I posted those records are all from static stations. What you'll find is the sea rising faster in some places, you can even find places where it is going down. The reason for that is the land itself is rising or falling at different rates. There is only two station in Louisiana and both of them show an accelerated rate compared to Miami. It's between 3 and 4 times the rate. Even if the sea were to stop rising New Orleans is doomed without massive infrastructure in coming centuries.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:56 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
So, please explain WHY nothing is being done to alleviate the problem?
WHEN will they start building the seawalls and dikes to prevent the inevitable flooding?
WHEN will they purchase and install the pumps to remove the inevitable leakage around or through the seawalls and dikes?
WHEN will "they" stop the gnashing of teeth, wailing, and doom and gloom predictions and actually DO something?
As far as I am concerned, the reasons are very simple:
1. "THEY" know any such effort will be useless, because they can't stop what is going to happen.
or
2. "THEY" know that all the doom and gloom predictions are false, so there is no need to build such an expensive protective structure.

I do not know which is correct, or if either is correct. Take your pick, and believe what you will.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
1. "THEY" know any such effort will be useless, because they can't stop what is going to happen.
Correct, the sea itself has been rising since the end of the last ice age.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Actually there is more to it than just the level of the sea, if you look at any of those graphs from the link I posted those records are all from static stations. What you'll find is the sea rising faster in some places, you can even find places where it is going down. The reason for that is the land itself is rising or falling at different rates. There is only two station in Louisiana and both of them show an accelerated rate compared to Miami. It's between 3 and 4 times the rate. Even if the sea were to stop rising New Orleans is doomed without massive infrastructure in coming centuries.

I wonder what the rates are for Venice Italy?

They get inundated every year and the land is sinking.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:08 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Time for all the believers to disconnect from the grid and live in grass huts.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

exactly

these people never admit that the land (tectonic plates) rise and fall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies