Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A link would be nice.

It does not sound like Georgia's new law is not much different from Alaska's existing law. You can carry any firearm, openly or concealed, in Alaska. No permit required.
Same deal here in AZ.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
It says quite clearly that you can carry into a bar or place that serves alcohol as long you are not drinking...

You would know that if you read the bill.
Interestingly, cops carry into their frequented bars and drink copiously.Are they immune from the effects of alcohol?

322 posts, read 465,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Under the Georgia law, can I go into a business meeting and lay my Glock on the table? Can everybody else do that?

If so is this a good thing?

How about at a bar or restaurant?

Or a Little League game?
Not in the state capital you can't; but any place without a mental detector your can. The idiots who passed this law are not stupid - no guns in their place of business - just yours. The cowards!

Bar or restaurant - yes, as long as you don't drink. Oh, btw, don't drink and drive either - NAIVE!

Little League game, yes! Some idiot with a carry permit tormented parents and kids at a park in Cobb County yesterday...challenging the police to arrest him.

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Read the law and you will find your answers. Any place of business can post a no guns beyond this point sign at their entrances or where needed if the business wishes too.
So if there's no sign I can do exactly what I suggest?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wonder how Georgia managed to get by without "guns everywhere" for the last 300 years. These laws are just pandering to the wingnuts in their states. They ignore the desires of others in their states to score political points with a narrow groups of extremists. It is going on all over. Yesterday, Gov. Brewer of AZ vetoed a couple of guns laws which would have done much the same as what happened in GA. In her veto message she notes that such legislation ought to consider the interest and desires and seek agreement among as many stakeholders as possible. In AZ as in GA, the law was opposed by public officials, by law enforcement at every level, and by business groups. Brewer had the sense of governance to recognize that these voices count too. Governor Deal did not.
One of the provisions of the vetoed bill would have allowed folks to pack in government buildings that didn't have security guards or metal detectors.

Folks will still pack heat.....just don't get caught.....

Brewer pandered to the P.C. crowd this time.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
Little League game, yes! Some idiot with a carry permit tormented parents and kids at a park in Cobb County yesterday...challenging the police to arrest him.
That is plain crazy. The last time I got into a fistfight was back when I was coaching little league. Some jackass clotheslined me as I was walking out of the dugout because he thought I should have pulled his kid off the mound earlier.

Good thing he didn't have a gun, or I might not have come out on top.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM

322 posts, read 465,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I think what the person you are responding to might be getting at is not so much proficiency, rather training as to when it is proper to use deadly force. It of course is a double edged sword because LEO's have other defensive methods and resources that the average citizens will not have at their disposal in an emergency situation.
Finally, someone with a little common sense. I might not be so afraid of you carrying a gun in a place I eat. I still wouldn't like it, but you seem like you might think first, shoot second.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is plain crazy. The last time I got into a fistfight was back when I was coaching little league. Some jackass clotheslined me as I was walking out of the dugout because he thought I should have pulled his kid off the mound earlier.

Good thing he didn't have a gun, or I might not have come out on top.
CCW holders do not do such things. When I am carrying someone can insult me, badger me, call me everything but human, and they won't get a reaction. Not unless they escalate to lethal force. I have walked away from many such situations and NEVER played a hand on my weapon, and this mentality is representative of the CCW community as a whole.
A cop is far more likely to draw his/her weapon in such a situation than a citizen. Your reasoning is fundamentally flawed and tainted by prejudice.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Try that and see how fast you are arrested for brandishing your firearm. Concealed means concealed.
Assuming I get a permit (i.e., I haven't been declared legally insane by a court and it has been 3 years since my last permit was revoked), should I be able to openly wear my gun into a business meeting?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
CCW holders do not do such things. When I am carrying someone can insult me, badger me, call me everything but human, and they won't get a reaction. Not unless they escalate to lethal force. I have walked away from many such situations and NEVER played a hand on my weapon, and this mentality is representative of the CCW community as a whole.
A cop is far more likely to draw his/her weapon in such a situation than a citizen. Your reasoning is fundamentally flawed and tainted by prejudice.
You sound like a reasonable person.

However, if this nitwit was crazy enough to hit me from behind with a baseball bat, why should I think he wouldn't pull a gun?

Especially after I got back on my feet and had a chance to address the situation with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies