Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most states laws allowed adult children to remain on their parent's policies till age 23-25. Some states had and still have laws that cap out at age 31.
What one state on the other side of the country does has nothing to do with a national policy promoting dependence on one's parents. National policy is a driver of attitudes and actions. The attitude promoted by Obamacare is that freeloading until the age of 26 is socially acceptable behavior because our government sanctions it. That's my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This thread has been very informative. I now see why so many liberals on this forum hold the views that they do. Many, if not most, are living at their parents house (or lived at their parent's house) well into adulthood. Personal responsibility is not their forte'. Never has been, never will be. And thus, it informs the rest of us on how they view capitalism, free markets, having/holding a job, unions, abortion, homosexuality, etc. It's hard to take someone serious when the entirety of their adulthood has been that of free-loading off of others. If I was a free-loader under my parent's roof, I'm sure I could also come up with a million different ways to spot an inequity!! But since that's not me....since I have worked since I was 14 and out of the house at 19, I don't have time to sit around feeling sorry for myself and the rest of the world.

Thank you folks........I have been enlightened!
I think it's adorable how you equate living at home with lacking personal responsibility.

I worked and/or went to school the entire time I lived at home and naturally did my share of chores around the house. I also helped to tend our little hobby farm, and kept everything going when my parents were out of town. I'm no longer at home because I moved to continue my college education. But you're right, no personal responsibility there.

One of my friends moved in with his grandparents when the construction industry collapsed out here because he was out of work. He got a part time job and as time went on, became a full-time caretaker for his grandparents (his grandfather eventually died of cancer and his grandmother had advanced dementia). Now that his grandmother is no longer at home he continues to manage her finances and care and has returned to working full-time. Not a speck of responsibility there, right?

Or my other friend, who's living at home while she's working on her second master's degree. She has a good job at the local college as an adjunct lecturer, but genuinely enjoys living with her family even though she could afford a place of her own. But again, she's clearly not into personal responsibility at all.

You really are going to have to find a new one-trick pony. I'm afraid you've ridden this one into the ground.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Young adults living with parents is actually a very good thing for working poor adults who don't live with their parents, and is something I heartily support and endorse.

If every young adult living with parents moved out, already-exorbitant rents and homelessness would necessarily skyrocket. Conservatives never think of that when they complain about young adults STILL living with parents.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Actually more have roommates now than in the past as well.

More adults moving in with mom, dad or roommates - TODAY.com

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of young adults living with their parents but, at the end of the day, I'm much less of a fan of busybodies who can't mind their own business.

What do you people want? A law passed against it? Do you really want that kind of government intrusion into people's lives?
I agree.

I predicted that back in 2007. If people want to maintain their life-style, then they must make adjustments, and that adjustment which has the greatest impact financially is living accommodations.

To me it's hypocritical to criticize people for not taking a pro-active role trying to save money for a down-payment on a house, or for trying to get their financial situation resolved, and then criticize those people when they are pro-active.

If young adults are living with their parents, then that's between the parents and their children......there's no place for government here (except perhaps going to muni court to evict free-loading children).

Shocking as it may be for some, this is 2014, not 1914. In 1914, the world was US and Western Europe --- everything else was a 3rd or 4th World State (and yes that would include Russia and Eastern Europe.

China was being colonized by the US, Britain and Germany for crying out loud.

Perspective....it's important....

Mircea

Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Enlighten us as to how Obama is anti-business.
This has been covered NUMEROUS times.

To refresh your memory...

Letter to Director Orszag on Policy Burdens Inhibiting Economic Growth | Business Roundtable

But yes, as you noted, Obama is Wall Street's best friend. Unfortunately for those seeking jobs, Wall Street can't hire everyone.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I think it's adorable how you equate living at home with lacking personal responsibility.

I worked and/or went to school the entire time I lived at home and naturally did my share of chores around the house. I also helped to tend our little hobby farm, and kept everything going when my parents were out of town. I'm no longer at home because I moved to continue my college education. But you're right, no personal responsibility there.

One of my friends moved in with his grandparents when the construction industry collapsed out here because he was out of work. He got a part time job and as time went on, became a full-time caretaker for his grandparents (his grandfather eventually died of cancer and his grandmother had advanced dementia). Now that his grandmother is no longer at home he continues to manage her finances and care and has returned to working full-time. Not a speck of responsibility there, right?

Or my other friend, who's living at home while she's working on her second master's degree. She has a good job at the local college as an adjunct lecturer, but genuinely enjoys living with her family even though she could afford a place of her own. But again, she's clearly not into personal responsibility at all.

You really are going to have to find a new one-trick pony. I'm afraid you've ridden this one into the ground.
I think the critical ones would be very surprised to discover how long their parents and grandparents "mooched off".

My paternal grandparents lived with my paternal grandmother's parents (my great grandparents) after they married in 1948 until well into the mid 1950s when they had finally saved enough money to move from Queens to Long Island.

My maternal grandparents moved out after their marriage only because both sets of parents pooled together enough money for them to buy an apartment.

Oh yeah, and my mother lived with my grandparents on and off until she married my father

It's really nothing new and unusual. What IS unsual is the baby boomer's moving out after college ... that is the blip in history! I suspect it has more to do with the 1960s social upheaval than any permanent change. The Millennials like me are just following the natural course of history ...

Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post

Old 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I have yet to meet a conservative who can identify how Obama is anti-business.
Apparently, you haven't been paying attention. The problems with Obama's anti-business policies have repeatedly been all over the news. I posted a link to an extensive explanation, above. Add Obamacare to the long list, too.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM

241 posts, read 189,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That is the way Florida was as well. With America's young today facing historically high unemployment rates there is a lot of reason why insurance companies should be made to keep children on plans until the age of 26.
That sounds like nanny state fascism to me. Nobody should be made to do anything.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I think the critical ones would be very surprised to discover how long their parents and grandparents "mooched off".

My paternal grandparents lived with my paternal grandmother's parents (my great grandparents) after they married in 1948 until well into the mid 1950s when they had finally saved enough money to move from Queens to Long Island.

My maternal grandparents moved out after their marriage only because both sets of parents pooled together enough money for them to buy an apartment.

Oh yeah, and my mother lived with my grandparents on and off until she married my father

It's really nothing new and unusual. What IS unsual is the baby boomer's moving out after college ... that is the blip in history! I suspect it has more to do with the 1960s social upheaval than any permanent change. The Millennials like me are just following the natural course of history ...
This is all true. I'm the FIRST ONE on EITHER side of my family to move out before getting married. And will be the FIRST ONE to not live at home for a few years after marriage to save for a down payment. Even my younger brother lived with his fiance's family for a year after graduating from college to save for a down payment on a home. That's how they could buy a house at 22 and 23 years old in an area where most people need to wait until they're in their 30s to have that kind of financial stability.

My grandparents lived at home until they got married when they were in their early 20s. Then they lived at my great grandmother's home until my grandfather joined the Navy and was stationed in South Carolina during the Korean War. Then my parents lived with my grandmother for 3 years after they got married in the early 80s until they had a down payment for a condo. It was unheard of to consider moving out just to rent.

We're not talking adult children who don't work or are lazing around their parents' basements. Adult children who contribute to the household, pay rent (if the parents require so - and some don't), perform maintenance to the house, and are saving while working aren't lazy bums who refuse to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies