Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM

746 posts, read 866,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I agree.

I predicted that back in 2007. If people want to maintain their life-style, then they must make adjustments, and that adjustment which has the greatest impact financially is living accommodations.

To me it's hypocritical to criticize people for not taking a pro-active role trying to save money for a down-payment on a house, or for trying to get their financial situation resolved, and then criticize those people when they are pro-active.

If young adults are living with their parents, then that's between the parents and their children......there's no place for government here (except perhaps going to muni court to evict free-loading children).

Shocking as it may be for some, this is 2014, not 1914. In 1914, the world was US and Western Europe --- everything else was a 3rd or 4th World State (and yes that would include Russia and Eastern Europe.

China was being colonized by the US, Britain and Germany for crying out loud.

Perspective....it's important....

Mircea
My parents are trying to BRING in the government! (SSDI). No way in hell am I doing that. I'll struggle and live on the streets before I do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:13 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
My parents are trying to BRING in the government! (SSDI). No way in hell am I doing that. I'll struggle and live on the streets before I do that.
Right, thats a great choice. SSDI is FOR people like you with issues. Heres the REALITY.

Your parents will end up spending a small fortune trying to help you, food, clothing, etc. And then being out on the street you will get sick....and your parents will pay for that too. It just goes downhill from there.

Or you will die.

Either way all you will end up doing is hurting your parents or yourself.

Now what you SHOULD do. Get the SSDI, and then work hard to find a job. You will lose your SSDI, but until then you will be in a position to have a chance to find work.

If you cant find and keep work, then maybe you need SSDI. Take it instead of living on the street begging for money for food, and going to the hospital regularly for preventable things at a far higher cost to a society that doesnt let you die in the streets.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Right, thats a great choice. SSDI is FOR people like you with issues. Heres the REALITY.

Your parents will end up spending a small fortune trying to help you, food, clothing, etc. And then being out on the street you will get sick....and your parents will pay for that too. It just goes downhill from there.

Or you will die.

Either way all you will end up doing is hurting your parents or yourself.

Now what you SHOULD do. Get the SSDI, and then work hard to find a job. You will lose your SSDI, but until then you will be in a position to have a chance to find work.

If you cant find and keep work, then maybe you need SSDI. Take it instead of living on the street begging for money for food, and going to the hospital regularly for preventable things at a far higher cost to a society that doesnt let you die in the streets.
I don't need SSDI to get a job. I just have to actually try to get a job. SSDI is for people who are in a wheelchair, paralyzed, can't leave their house, etc.)

Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The degree in basket weaving will sure as heck get you a good paying gig!
No one gets a degree for any one class and basket weaving is not a degree. Most students could easily graduate in 3 years or less in their major. The problem is that they have to take general education classes to graduate. And this pretty much takes up another year. And the reason that some take lame classes like basket weaving is because they have to have a certain amount of credits each semester. They take the necessary courses for their major but have to take BS courses to fulfill the requirement to graduate. Don't blame the student.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People who want their independence will settle for shabbier living quarters and roommates and they MOVE to where the jobs are and apartments they can afford. It's called growing up.
Moving out is not a definition of growing up. I know a few living at home and paying rent to their parents. What is wrong with that.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This thread has been very informative. I now see why so many liberals on this forum hold the views that they do. Many, if not most, are living at their parents house (or lived at their parent's house) well into adulthood. Personal responsibility is not their forte'. Never has been, never will be. And thus, it informs the rest of us on how they view capitalism, free markets, having/holding a job, unions, abortion, homosexuality, etc. It's hard to take someone serious when the entirety of their adulthood has been that of free-loading off of others. If I was a free-loader under my parent's roof, I'm sure I could also come up with a million different ways to spot an inequity!! But since that's not me....since I have worked since I was 14 and out of the house at 19, I don't have time to sit around feeling sorry for myself and the rest of the world.

Thank you folks........I have been enlightened!

Don't you think these young professionals want to move out. Jobs are scarce and rent is no where within their reach. There are not enough jobs. What don't you understand about that. It's not like when you were growing up. So you can't compare it to you....different times. And who said they were freeloaders. You have no idea what they contribute to the household.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I don't need SSDI to get a job. I just have to actually try to get a job. SSDI is for people who are in a wheelchair, paralyzed, can't leave their house, etc.)
Its also for people with severe anxiety and panic attacks. Come on, who wants to have an employee that has panic attacks?

And you do know people can see your posting history here right?

Let me be clear though......If you can find a job and do it, do so. But get SSDI now rather then later. And have it as your backstop. You're going to have a harder time then most.

BUT....dont give up, find work if you can and support yourself.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,467 times
Two reasons.
1. The Job market is bad and particularly bad for young people, and even if folks do get jobs wages have been stagnant forever.

2. Cost of living in certain places is quite high. Houses and condos can run well into the 6 figure mark on the low end and rent isn't that much more affordable.

I suspect that if people had the means to move out they would but in some areas the CoL and the job market is brutal. Additionally moving to a lower CoL area might not be easy since going in cold to a place without a job or connections is rarely a recipe for success.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its also for people with severe anxiety and panic attacks. Come on, who wants to have an employee that has panic attacks?

And you do know people can see your posting history here right?

Let me be clear though......If you can find a job and do it, do so. But get SSDI now rather then later. And have it as your backstop. You're going to have a harder time then most.

BUT....dont give up, find work if you can and support yourself.
So I shouldn't be ashamed to be on it? Even if I do get on it I want to move out, it'll be easier to actually live in town, and maybe I can get a girifriend before I even leave town lol. I have more confidence in approaching now. I think, if a girl doesn't want to talk to me its not let anything worse than that will happen.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
So I shouldn't be ashamed to be on it? Even if I do get on it I want to move out, it'll be easier to actually live in town, and maybe I can get a girifriend before I even leave town lol. I have more confidence in approaching now. I think, if a girl doesn't want to talk to me its not let anything worse than that will happen.
Lets be honest, I have read your posts. You have some issues. So lets be clear about this.

When you should be ashamed of being on SSDI:
1. When you get it by lying
2. When you get it by telling the truth, but then later find work and hide your income.

Now do I recommend trying to find work if you think you can? Sure. You will make more money, and be better off working then on SSDI. But given your posts and discussions, get the SSDI as a backstop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies