Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 10:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

CoL by region is huge and the bars have to pay rent too.
I know, but my original point still stands, which is in most parts of the country you can live off min wage. You could technically even do it Chicago if you had a bunch of roommates or lived on the south side. We have public transportation though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:40 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most states laws allowed adult children to remain on their parent's policies till age 23-25. Some states had and still have laws that cap out at age 31.
I was covered under my father's company plan until 25, and that was almost 13 years ago... so yeah, I'm not buying that excuse either! Seems a lot of folks are taking the lazy way out, and blaming all of this on Obama. However, aren't the unemployment rates the lowest they've been in like 8 years? I'd have to go look up the stats, but pretty sure that is true.

As for the middle-aged people living with parents, did it occur to anyone that the parents are living with THEM? Our life spans are getting longer and longer, so of course it's more common now to see an 80+ year-old living with their children... we considered having my 97yo grandmother move in with my aunt & uncle, but eventually decided it was best for everyone's health & sanity to find her a nice elderly home near them instead. But if she had moved in with them, would my aunt & uncle then show up as "60-70 year-olds living with their parents?" I'd be interested to dig deeper into those stats, and see who actually owns or leases these homes - might give us a better idea of who moved in with whom.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I know, but my original point still stands, which is in most parts of the country you can live off min wage. You could technically even do it Chicago if you had a bunch of roommates or lived on the south side. We have public transportation though.
As I said roommates are great until they flake. I have had many roommates and I come from a family where we do rental property. You might be surprised exactly how many people there are out there that can't or don't want to pay rent consistently. I also have experience working minimum wage back when I was in college was they do everything humanly possible to avoid paying you overtime and some places will fire you if you trigger overtime. So chances are a person working minimum wage is going to be taking home maybe $1150 a month if they are working fairly consistently. It can be surprisingly hard to make that work w/o stuff like food stamps.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You contradicted your own argument.

You are admitting an individual can not live on their own by saying he/she could live on minimum wage if he had a roomate or 2.

If you are living on 2 incomes of minimum wage then you are not living on minimum wage, you are living on minimum wage X 2

Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
As I said roommates are great until they flake, also my experience working minimum wage back when I was in college was they do everything humanly possible to avoid paying you overtime and some places will fire you if you trigger overtime. So chances are a person working minimum wage is going to be taking home maybe $1150 a month if they are working fairly consistently. It can be surprisingly hard to make that work w/o stuff like food stamps.
Thats how much you make before taxes, take about 20% out, then you have the take home pay.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats how much you make before taxes, take about 20% out, then you have the take home pay.
The $1150 is after FICA, (I do know how taxes work) the straight math for 40 hours for 4.3 weeks is around $1250. Once more if you are making that little you probably going to get bailed out a lot by the standard deduction and the EITC.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
The $1150 is after FICA, (I do know how taxes work). Once more if you are making that little you probably going to get bailed out a lot by the standard deduction and the EITC.
LOL, no. When i started working, i made 8.05 an hour and the percentage they took out each pay period was about 20%.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
As I said roommates are great until they flake. I have had many roommates and I come from a family where we do rental property. You might be surprised exactly how many people there are out there that can't or don't want to pay rent consistently. I also have experience working minimum wage back when I was in college was they do everything humanly possible to avoid paying you overtime and some places will fire you if you trigger overtime. So chances are a person working minimum wage is going to be taking home maybe $1150 a month if they are working fairly consistently. It can be surprisingly hard to make that work w/o stuff like food stamps.
I never said it was easy. I said it could be done.

Quote:
You contradicted your own argument.

You are admitting an individual can not live on their own by saying he/she could live on minimum wage if he had a roomate or 2.

If you are living on 2 incomes of minimum wage then you are not living on minimum wage, you are living on minimum wage X 2
I never said you would be living on your own, I said you could live off min wage if you wanted to. Further, in the post you quoted I was specifically speaking about Chicago, but Chicago isn't most of the country. Now you can live alone in Chicago off of min wage, but you are going to live in the dangerous part of town. Just to clarify though, in Chicago you would need upwards of 5 roommates to live in the more desirable spots if you are making min wage.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
LOL, no. When i started working, i made 8.05 an hour and the percentage they took out each pay period was about 20%.
That is probably because you messed up when you filled out your withholding forms for your employer.

Though I have to say it is probably not an uncommon occurance which can add a significant burden to a low wage worker. Since the penalty is that you have to essentially make a not insignificant interest free loan to the federal government over the course of a year.

Last edited by Egbert; 04-24-2014 at 11:05 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 PM

I should also note that in the rural south it is not at all uncommon for people to live as extended family units. This is often the result of family land being available such that children will build their houses or put their double wides on family land and live on the same few acres there for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies