Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 02:09 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
1. The nazis exterminated 6 million.
Uh...it was a LOT more than 6 million. They killed an estimated 10-12 million people in the Holocaust, including an estimated 6 million Jews. I'm tired of other Holocaust victims (including members of my own family) being forgotten. The Jews were in no way the only group the Nazis persecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Uh...it was a LOT more than 6 million. They killed an estimated 10-12 million people in the Holocaust, including an estimated 6 million Jews. I'm tired of other Holocaust victims (including members of my own family) being forgotten. The Jews were in no way the only group the Nazis persecuted.
If you really want to see a forgotten group of victims, search for info about the millions of Ukrainians that Stalin, our WWII ally, intentionally starved to death in the 1930s. It's one of the big reasons I will always question alliances and their make-up, sometimes it may be necessary to partner with monsters but you should know who/what you're dealing with.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you really want to see a forgotten group of victims, search for info about the millions of Ukrainians that Stalin, our WWII ally, intentionally starved to death in the 1930s. It's one of the big reasons I will always question alliances and their make-up, sometimes it may be necessary to partner with monsters but you should know who/what you're dealing with.
Like our support for the Taliban against the Soviets.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
I know about that, but then again I paid attention in history class and took more than what was required in HS and college, plus my bookshelves are jammed with history books. Schools don't teach enough history in my opinion, and some of the history they are taught is plain wrong. I clearly remember being called an anti-Semite in high school because I corrected a classmate who said that the Nazis killed 6 million Jews in the Holocaust. I raised my hand and reminded him not to forget the other several million Gypsies, Slavs, physically and mentally handicapped people, homosexuals, political dissidents, etc. The teacher didn't stick up for me and I never forgot that. What a wuss.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 PM

229 posts, read 347,978 times
Quote:
If by "zealous religion" you mean Islam and if by "wants us dead" you include all Muslims I hope you've taken the time to warn Congress that there is one among them who wants them dead.
I agree with you. To be honest, I expected inadequate and confused replies like the one you responded to. When one doesn't want to look at an issue honestly and logically, blanket statements help.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Good point, Yeledaf. Envy and hatred is a bad combo. Add to that this country's willingness now to give away our sovereignty so as not to be called bad names like "bully", "warmongers", "capitalists" (the worst), "racist". And to show how much we want to be "progressive" and "multiculturalist", to fit in with the rest of the global community. We used to have pride in standing out from the rest, but now that we have no sense of self preservation, it is expected of us to give away the store so to speak. There seems not much of a will to stand nobly in the gap.

Those afraid of war, need to get out of the way. The greedy are always going to be out there to take away a prized possession, and those willing to save their way of life just need to stand up and say, "No more, we are taking our country back". I keep waiting to see signs of awakening.
No offense, but I don't see everyone that talks like you do and feels like you do rushing out to the local Army recruiter. If you feel this way, go out and fight. Armchair philosophy is one of the easiest things in the world.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
I personally cant stand these ungreatful europeans. we save them from the nazi bootstrap, and than save them from the soviet boot strap, and all they can do is bite the hand that feeds them. the next time a war breaks out in europe i say "to hell with them".
I guess that means that the Allied forces refer only to Americans? I thought other countries helped out. Maybe history is wrong?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What "arrogance?"
Arrogance would more fit Japan and Germany in the '30s and '40s with their attempting to conquer the world.

America is actually the opposite of "arrogance," we liberate countries. Even at the cost of hundreds of thousands of our soldiers' lives.
The opposite of arrogance is humility. What are you talking about?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Several points on this:
1. I don't think we're as hated as we seem to think.
2. We do have a media bias, so does the rest of the world - BBC and Al Jazeera certainly do not present a favorable opinion of the US
3. We are a superpower and the USSR is no longer trying to take over Europe so we may not be needed to defend them at this point
4. We have made mistakes
5. We watch out for our interests, everyone does but it's easy to blame the big guy
6. Much of Europe favors a system that is more "social" than our more capitalist system which they think makes people evil
7. We do not support the practices of some nations and may work against them which they do not like
8. Our own media and entertainment industry paints a very poor image of us
You make some valid points. The only problem is that our media and entertainment industry is run, watched and paid for by Americans. How poor of an image can be painted of a country that watches these shows enough to keep them going and successful. Apparently, this is how the vast majority of Americans think, or at least what they enjoy. If we did not, would these shows be on?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Like most liberal hysteria, that paragraph was high on hyperbole, low on facts. First off, I'm going to wager you're against the US invasion of Afghanistan. Guess trying to destroy Al-Quida is not on your to do list. If Bush and Co wanted the oil, he could get it for free. After all, he hasn't invaded Saudi Arabia, has he? ****, America has more oil in waiting then the Middle East. All he would have to do is grease some Iraqi/Taliban hands and voila, the oil flows!

So now that we got that tricky "war for oil" question out of the way. Here's another brain twister: Most of those third world citizens that we **** on so much have higher approval ratings of the US than the US itself. Only Europe and the Middle east have their "different opinions". We give the most to charity per capita and American companies have employed millions around the world. Let's see what the rest of the world has done:

-Germany slaghters 12 million people in the Holocuast

-France renders Europe decimated via Napolianic wars.

-Britian colonizes almost a thrid of the globe

-USSR murders 20 million of it's own under Stalin's purges. Another 10 million dead in faminie

-China loses 60 million to faminie, another several million to the "Cultural Revolution".

-India implements chaste system

-African wars kill almost 20 million since WWII

-Latin American death squads kill thousands.

But no, America is evil.
You should really list America's wonderful achievement of slaughtering a massive portion of its rightful inhabitants and renaming their land America. That would be fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies