Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,708,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha hughes View Post
How? In what way does people no longer getting hung or jailed for being gay have a negative effect on you? Or any effect at all, for that matter. I support gay marriage not because it has a positive effect on me but because it will make other people's lives better

People are already losing their jobs and businesses if they dare try to hold onto their religious freedom and speak out against gay marriage. That's just the beginning. The gay culture will become closely ingrained into every facet of society or else, they will ring the discrimination bell. That affects a Christian negatively from a spiritual and mental perspective.

Should I get fired from a job 10 years from now because an employer found out that I was not pro-gay from old facebook posts or such? A similar thing happened to Paula Deen. This is the direction our country is going so stop pretending that legalization of gay marriage has no affect on straight people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:11 PM

702 posts, read 725,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
People are already losing their jobs and businesses if they dare try to hold onto their religious freedom and speak out against gay marriage. That's just the beginning. The gay culture will become closely ingrained into every facet of society or else, they will ring the discrimination bell. That affects a Christian negatively from a spiritual and mental perspective.

Should I get fired from a job 10 years from now because an employer found out that I was not pro-gay from old facebook posts or such? A similar thing happened to Paula Deen. This is the direction our country is going so stop pretending that legalization of gay marriage has no affect on straight people.
People said the same thing about integration, don't worry. It'll happen if you give your approval or not. Progress marches on.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
People said the same thing about integration, don't worry. It'll happen if you give your approval or not. Progress marches on.

Progress towards immorality is not progress.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM

702 posts, read 725,292 times
Quote:
Again, heard the same things before. Just know that you'll be on the losing side of history once again. Human rights will trump bigotry as it always does, eventually.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,661,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Again, heard the same things before. Just know that you'll be on the losing side of history once again. Human rights will trump bigotry as it always does, eventually.
Why does the left call everything and everyone who has a different perspective "bigotry"? I thought you're all for tolerance and valuing differences. Does that just apply to others, but not to you?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:08 PM

125 posts, read 143,302 times
Quote:
why do you get to define immorality, though? somebody probably thinks something that you do is immoral (heck, when it comes to it, there's probably those that think that being religious is immoral...I don't think that, but food of thought). Also, what do you care if somebody does do something immoral? It makes no difference in your life. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Why does the left call everything and everyone who has a different perspective "bigotry"? I thought you're all for tolerance and valuing differences. Does that just apply to others, but not to you?
Everything and everyone? A bit of a generalized statement.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:23 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,661,760 times
Quote:
why do you get to define immorality, though? somebody probably thinks something that you do is immoral (heck, when it comes to it, there's probably those that think that being religious is immoral...I don't think that, but food of thought). Also, what do you care if somebody does do something immoral? It makes no difference in your life. If you don't like it, ignore it.
Well, without getting too far into a complex discussion, I'd say that, yes, we could ignore it. Until, as another poster said, it affects us and our lives, which is happening more and more these days:

Quote:

You see, we can't just live according to our principles and beliefs even while we might like to "live and let live." We're asked to put them aside, and embrace yours, immoral as they may be in our system of faith. That's trampling on our freedom of religion and requiring us to accept that which is unacceptable.

Why do we get to define immorality? What peope think doesn't matter. It's been defined by God. Whether you believe there is a God or not, that is where my definition of morality/immorality comes from. Therefore, I have not usurped YOUR right to define it for yourself. I simply accept God's right to define it, and he's a few pegs higher than any of us, if you know what I mean.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I could easily turn it around on you. Why do you get to define immorality? And let's be clear, this isn't a case of my side defining a moral standard. It's a case of your side RE-defining and changing a moral stance that has been in place since the foundation of our country.

Legalization of gay marriage will drastically change society, and that affects everyone. So you are wrong. It will make a difference in my life.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, without getting too far into a complex discussion, I'd say that, yes, we could ignore it. Until, as another poster said, it affects us and our lives, which is happening more and more these days:

You see, we can't just live according to our principles and beliefs even while we might like to "live and let live." We're asked to put them aside, and embrace yours, immoral as they may be in our system of faith. That's trampling on our freedom of religion and requiring us to accept that which is unacceptable.

Why do we get to define immorality? What peope think doesn't matter. It's been defined by God. Whether you believe there is a God or not, that is where my definition of morality/immorality comes from. Therefore, I have not usurped YOUR right to define it for yourself. I simply accept God's right to define it, and he's a few pegs higher than any of us, if you know what I mean.
Interesting, my definition of morality doesn't come from any god, nor does it deny others rights that I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies