Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:11 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are off topic, yes increased tuition costs are an issue, if you want to start a thread on why tuition costs have increased then feel free. Pointing to Elizabeth Warren as the problem is misguided unless you can present facts. Already indicated her tuition seems high but there are many professors making over a million, there are coaches like Nick Saban at Alabama that are making over $5M.

Already asked the question, at what point does Warrens salary become a non-issue, $200K?? The absurdity is picking out one professors salary as the issue at hand at an ivy league college.

By the way a quarter of a million dollars sounds so much more than $350K not to mention longer to type.
I think the issue is her pay vs her contribution. Last I checked though, the salary is negotiated between the employer and employee. $200K sounds low for a Law professor with 20 yrs of experience teaching at Harvard. Really though, only Harvard can answer if she was overpaid or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 03:33 PM

310 posts, read 256,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its HARVARD, not some rinky dink community college. Repeat after me "Harvard". What hypocritical is complaining about a measly 800K in salary for two people, both highly qualified doing work the vast majority couldn't. One a professor at harvard, the other a NASA engineer.

Seriously, I cant apparently repeat this enough, if you think a family income of 800K is excessive, you have no idea of the scope of the problem.
Learn reading comprehension before talking down to somebody.

What is hypocritical about it? How about everything? She has no right to complain about monetary issues facing colleges, INCLUDING Harvard, when she is part of the problem with a salary like that. It does not matter what school it is, if you are coming out trying to battle the skyrocketing costs of tuition, yet add to the costs with your inflated salary and probable pension, you are a hypocrite.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:48 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
As I understand it, tuition costs are directly linked to expenses of running ANY college.
Student loans = tuition costs.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:33 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
As I understand it, tuition costs are directly linked to expenses of running ANY college.
Student loans = tuition costs.
Student loans = tuition, room, board, books, a huge bunch of fees, salaries for non-educational staff, maintenance of buildings, etc. etc. etc. You can't just pick one thing and say that comprises student loans, just so you can criticize Sen. Warren.

I can tell you've never sent a kid to college.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Student loans = tuition, room, board, books, a huge bunch of fees, salaries for non-educational staff, maintenance of buildings, etc. etc. etc. You can't just pick one thing and say that comprises student loans, just so you can criticize Sen. Warren.

I can tell you've never sent a kid to college.
Room, board, and books have nothing to do with tuition. But Warren rails about tuition being too high. Yet she makes a very large salary from a University. Very high professor salaries contribute to the high tuition. Therefore, Warren is being very hypocritical. It's a simple logical chain, I don't know why so many people here seem to be unable to follow it.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Room, board, and books have nothing to do with tuition. But Warren rails about tuition being too high. Yet she makes a very large salary from a University. Very high professor salaries contribute to the high tuition. Therefore, Warren is being very hypocritical. It's a simple logical chain, I don't know why so many people here seem to be unable to follow it.
This thread, and the post I responded to, refers to student loans. As does Sen. Warren.

Those goalposts seem to have developed legs!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:34 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Room & Board are very significant costs and all part of the issue. Until you can make a case that Elizabeth Warren's salary is "very high" you have no argument. This is a desperate attempt by Brown, is he running against her, is she a candidate in NH. What state will he pop up in next?

Her main point has been government charging high interest rates and profiting off students.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Room & Board are very significant costs and all part of the issue. Until you can make a case that Elizabeth Warren's salary is "very high" you have no argument. This is a desperate attempt by Brown, is he running against her, is she a candidate in NH. What state will he pop up in next?

Her main point has been government charging high interest rates and profiting off students.
Are you taking bets? My money is on R.I.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:15 PM

310 posts, read 256,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
This thread, and the post I responded to, refers to student loans. As does Sen. Warren.

Those goalposts seem to have developed legs!
The OP never said loans, but tuition. And Warren does refer to the rising costs of tuition:

Remarks to the Education Writers Association Conference on Higher Education | Elizabeth Warren | U.S. Senator for Massachusetts

As a current college student, I can tell you first hand that the enormous salaries and pensions of professors has had a profoundly negative impact on schools, not to mention giving everybody loans. The whole system is an absolute mess.

And fat lou is right, room & board and books are not part of the actual tuition, but extra costs on top of it.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:

Room and board are not part of the issue. Rent, food, and beer cost what they cost, and that's that. The cost of these things hasn't exploded in recent years. And if you don't want to pay a lot in rent, don't go to school a high cost-of-living area.
University tuition has, however, exploded in recent years. And Elizabeth Warren has profited from that and is part of the cause of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies