Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And? Polygamy, polyandry, and incest marriages don't change the definition of my marriage, so why does same-sex marriage change the definition of your marriage?

Also, I have known plenty of heterosexual people to be some big perverts, but that isn't something that is brought up when one gets a civil marriage.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Nononsenseguy gave you eight good secular reasons why marriage should only be between a man and a woman.

Urtbanlife78 conceded the point that there is no way to redefine marriage to include same-sex marriages while excluding other non-traditional perversions of marriage.

Me, I asked a simple question.

How do you redefine marriage such that traditional marriages between one man and one woman are permitted along with same-sex marriages but other non-traditional forms of marriage (incest, polygamy) are still prohibited?
Simple you remove the gender restriction just like they removed the race restrictions years ago. Removing one restriction does not remove all other restrictions.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That can happen now, I know heterosexual couples that are total perverts, but what does that have to do with marriage?

Yeah, but why go looking for it?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
And? Polygamy, polyandry, and incest marriages don't change the definition of my marriage, so why does same-sex marriage change the definition of your marriage?

Also, I have known plenty of heterosexual people to be some big perverts, but that isn't something that is brought up when one gets a civil marriage.

Just because people do stupid **** doesn't mean we need to make special accommodations for it.

FTR, do you think winning the Nobel Peace Prize means what it used to before Obama, Arafat, Gorbachev and Gore received the award.

There is a big difference between being in the company of MLK, Walesa and Theresa and these other clowns.

To claim the Nobel Peace Price is anything but a joke today is laughable.

Hopefully marriage won't go the route of other once respected institutions.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but why go looking for it?
Go looking for what? Lots of people enjoy fun sex, hetero and homo, not sure what that has to do with marriage....has there been something on your mind sexually you wish to chat with us about?

Quote:
Just because people do stupid **** doesn't mean we need to make special accommodations for it.

FTR, do you think winning the Nobel Peace Prize means what it used to before Obama, Arafat, Gorbachev and Gore received the award.

There is a big difference between being in the company of MLK, Walesa and Theresa and these other clowns.

To claim the Nobel Peace Price is anything but a joke today is laughable.

Hopefully marriage won't go the route of other once respected institutions.
What special accomodations? No one is asking you to let a same-sex couple crash on your couch for a month. People getting married that aren't getting married to you have no effect on your marriage.

The Nobel Peace Prize?? Talk about going off topic.

Marriage will be defined for each couple differently, but as long as the law doesn't discriminate against same-sex couples, it will be fine.

No one is forcing you to get gay married, no one is forcing you to accept same-sex marriage, and a same-sex marriage will have ZERO effect on your marriage.

I get that you will never accept same-sex marriage, but our country doesn't need your blessing to make it legal.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Haha, "know him." I also know Santa and the Easter Bunny, but that doesn't make them real.
Sure. I suppose you think you have insulted me. You have only made yourself look even more foolish.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Sure. I suppose you think you have insulted me. You have only made yourself look even more foolish.
Hardly an insult, I am just aware what is fictional on this planet.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I think people want to use the slippery slope argument on gay marriage but there is none. The gay marriage laws are just for gay marriage not trying to legalize sister wives or incest marriage as well. Could some claim that but people can claim anything.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think people want to use the slippery slope argument on gay marriage but there is none. The gay marriage laws are just for gay marriage not trying to legalize sister wives or incest marriage as well. Could some claim that but people can claim anything.

I'm interested in the line of reasoning you used to include same-sex marriage with traditional marriage between one man and one woman while excluding everything else.

I understand that you believe marriage laws that define marriage as a union between one man and one woman can be challenged in court and the law defining marriage altered to include same-sex unions, but how do you then prevent the same-sex marriage precedent from being applied to other non-traditional forms of marriage?

Old 04-27-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I'm interested in the line of reasoning you used to include same-sex marriage with traditional marriage between one man and one woman while excluding everything else.

I understand that you believe marriage laws that define marriage as a union between one man and one woman can be challenged in court and the law defining marriage altered to include same-sex unions, but how do you then prevent the same-sex marriage precedent from being applied to other non-traditional forms of marriage?
And marriage laws use to say people of different races couldn't marry, but that has changed, just like you are seeing civil marriage change again to allow same sex marriage as well....but don't worry, it will have ZERO effect on your heterosexual marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies