Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

NC is quickly turning Carolina Blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
NC is quickly turning Carolina Blue.
Yep. Romney won this state by two percentage points, but the real story is that the fastest growing areas in the state are trending blue. It's just a matter of time before they overtake the red rural areas. I think NC will be a solid blue state within a few election cycles.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:43 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
... after seeing what the governor and state legislature have done to the state? Seriously, all of Kay Hagan's prospective Republican opponents are like Todd Aiken-level idiots. It makes me angry just thinking about what they have done to a once proudly progressive state.
You do not approve of it because change is working and not to your perception of progress!

Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
... after seeing what the governor and state legislature have done to the state? Seriously, all of Kay Hagan's prospective Republican opponents are like Todd Aiken-level idiots. It makes me angry just thinking about what they have done to a once proudly progressive state.

LOL.... once proudly progressive state??? Are you out of your mind?! As a native of North Carolina, I can promise you NC has NEVER been considered a liberal state. Moderate in a few areas perhaps, but never liberal progressive!

Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Ahh, Kay Hagan...Democrat. In a radio ad that moron is actually bashing her Republican opponent for calling Obamacare a great idea. Imagine that! No wonder you poor libs are confused.

Kay Hagan says GOP rival Thom Tillis called Obamacare 'a great idea' | PolitiFact
She voted FOR Obamacare, so if she doesn't think Obamacare is great, why did she vote for it??

She's in trouble and she knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
The governor has had a job and a half trying to rein in spending and correct some of the problems Democrats created during their half century hold on the state.

By the way, you use a very liberal newspaper to support your liberal claims. It may help to read other sources to be better balanced. The News and Observer gives you their liberal view of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Egbert,
Yes, I live in NC in the Asheville area.
I am politically independent and am not a cheerleader for the Repubs, but my point was that Dems have been in control of the state for fifty years and were highly corrupt (does John Edwards ring a bell?) and made some serious mistakes that the Repubs are trying to turn around. My area of NC is bouncing back already. Two of my neighbors are builders and have turned down jobs because they are so busy. Housing developments are going in all over the Weaverville area. Whole Foods is now building a huge new building, another brewery is coming, and another big hotel is coming in.

Teacher wages are abysmal here, but the teacher flight and low wages was happening under the Democrats control! And sadly is continuing with the Repubs.
I am not pleased with some of the Repubs policies, especially their environmental corruption with Duke, but feel it is naive to think after fifty years of dem control that all these problems are from the short time the Repubs have been in control.
Both parties are just as corrupt and bought off by special interests.
A good, reasoned post. Can't rep you again, but would if I could.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-27-2014 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Egbert,
I am politically independent and am not a cheerleader for the Repubs, but my point was that Dems have been in control of the state for fifty years and were highly corrupt (does John Edwards ring a bell?) and made some serious mistakes that the Repubs are trying to turn around. My area of NC is bouncing back already. Two of my neighbors are builders and have turned down jobs because they are so busy. Housing developments are going in all over the Weaverville area. Whole Foods is now building a huge new building, another brewery is coming, and another big hotel is coming in.

Teacher wages are abysmal here, but the teacher flight and low wages was happening under the Democrats control! And sadly is continuing with the Repubs.
I am not pleased with some of the Repubs policies, especially their environmental corruption with Duke, but feel it is naive to think after fifty years of dem control that all these problems are from the short time the Repubs have been in control.

You hit the nail on the head. Both parties are or capable of being corrupt. Change in Historically Dem States is hard. We are speaking of generational Corruption,

Money talks and one can not argued against results!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,884 times
Quote:
Egbert,

Dems are corrupt, though I wouldn't cite John Edwards since he is a national Dem who came out of nowhere, if you want to talk state Dems, I suggest actually learning something about the history so you can cite relevant examples like Meg Scott Phipps and Jim Black.

With that said the Republicans have made things much, much worse.

As to job creation you need to stop relying on ancedotal evidence you might see some new stuff, but overall things are still quite bad. We had some gains in March due to improving weather, but in the months before that we net lost jobs the employment rate only fell because they were kicking more people off the roles through their policies then we going on to them due to job losses.

Economist: N.C. unemployment drop may be tied to benefits changes | CharlotteObserver.com
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U1u6qfldWSo

As to Teacher wages that is straight up not true 5 years ago we were basically average with teacher pay, again why I question you is because you really have your facts horribly wrong. We were about average before the GOP takeover which is why we went from 25th the 46th in teacher pay. Have you every heard of someone name Jim Hunt, his polices were based completely around education, and we have significantly backsled in that.

NC Ranks 46th In Teacher Pay. Are Fears Justified? | WFAE

Last edited by Egbert; 04-26-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 AM

605 posts, read 804,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
LOL.... once proudly progressive state??? Are you out of your mind?! As a native of North Carolina, I can promise you NC has NEVER been considered a liberal state. Moderate in a few areas perhaps, but never liberal progressive!

Have you never heard of Terry Sanford, Jim Hunt, Betty Ray McCain, etc.? McCrory himself said in an interview that many of NC's laws (particularly those regarding education and voter registration) were more liberal than New York's, as if that were a bad thing. You should think about what's best for NC, and nothing else.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-26-2014 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Dems are corrupt, though I wouldn't cite John Edwards since he is a national Dem who came out of nowhere, if you want to talk state Dems, I suggest actually learning something about the history so you can cite relevant examples like Meg Scott Phipps and Jim Black.

With that said the Republicans have made things much, much worse.

As to job creation you need to stop relying on ancedotal evidence you might see some new stuff, but overall things are still quite bad.

Economist: N.C. unemployment drop may be tied to benefits changes | CharlotteObserver.com

As to Teacher wages that is straight up not true 5 years ago we were basically average with teacher pay, again why I question you is because you really have your facts horribly wrong. We were about average before the GOP takeover which is why we went from 25th the 46th in teacher pay. Have you every heard of someone name Jim Hunt, his polices were based completely around education, and we have significantly backsled in that time.

NC Ranks 46th In Teacher Pay. Are Fears Justified? | WFAE
what is these Teachers and the Unions doing about the quality of education and most importantly cutting the red tape of Education?

The teachers and their Uions are as much to blame as state Gov.!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

The governor has had a job and a half trying to rein in spending and correct some of the problems Democrats created during their half century hold on the state.

By the way, you use a very liberal newspaper to support your liberal claims. It may help to read other sources to be better balanced. The News and Observer gives you their liberal view of things.
The governor's problem comes from the fact that the legislature are idiots and wildly cut taxes on the very rich creating a projected 2.4 billion dollar shortfall. That is where the governors problems come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies