Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:13 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who's the prick kid that ratted them out?

Lil snot needs some herb of his own and chill out.
The kid will be taken care of. Then of course the pot dealer will become a bully............something much worse in the world today. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it's more like another example of the decay of society.

Kids selling drugs at school should be suspended or expelled, not praised. Of course, we are living in the Age of Insanity, so I guess anything goes these days.
Who is praising the kid? Oh, I guess you didn't realize they were being sarcastic.

Obviously he should be punished, but I hardly think a few months of legal cannabis in CO has effectively sent our entire society into a tailspin. And you know what IS insane? Spending millions of dollars imprisoning adults for consuming a plant, and "fighting a war" that will never be won. Republicans do like to waste money on pointless wars, though, so I'm not surprised you would support this. But you're also supposed to be the party of small government and fiscal responsibility, two issues on which I used to side with the right... I say used to, because fewer & fewer of you actually practice what you preach these days.

They'll argue for 40 pages over the $1 Ding-Dongs an alleged welfare recipient purchased at Safeway, but hardly blink an eye at the money we're wasting on cannabis/drug prohibition. Wth.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-25-2014 at 05:33 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who is praising the kid? Oh, I guess you didn't realize they were being sarcastic.

Obviously he should be punished, but I hardly think a few months of legal cannabis in CO has effectively sent our entire society into a tailspin. And you know what IS insane? Spending millions of dollars imprisoning adults for consuming a plant, and "fighting a war" that will never be won. Republicans do like to waste money on pointless wars, though, so I'm not surprised you would support this. But you're also supposed to be the party of small government and fiscal responsibility, two issues on which I used to side with the right... I say used to, because fewer & fewer of you actually practice what you preach these days.
Most serving long jail sentences aren't there for pot. Coke. I'm not a fan of mand min sentences at all but you don't get a man min for having a sack of weed in your car.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Most serving long jail sentences aren't there for pot. Coke. I'm not a fan of mand min sentences at all but you don't get a man min for having a sack of weed in your car.
I didn't specify LONG sentences, and also included the money we waste on "fighting" this fictional war. And just for the record, one of my best friends recently had to serve 10 weekends in jail for possession of cannabis in Idaho... they threatened her with five YEARS, but took "mercy" because she's a hard-working mother. So it is still a jail-able offense in some states, and even the small convictions (minor misdemeanors) are a waste of money & time, IMO. I firmly believe that adults should be free to consume whatever they want, even cocaine, as long as they're not hurting anyone else in the process.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 AM

Well you should have told your friend doing certain things are against the law. One can't pick and choose which laws to follow I don't agree with many but they are laws. I tell my kids the same.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Well you should have told your friend doing certain things are against the law. One can't pick and choose which laws to follow I don't agree with many but they are laws. I tell my kids the same.
My friend is an adult, and I am not her keeper - nor did I say that she wasn't an idiot for taking that chance in a state with such back-azzwards laws. She isn't the one complaining, either, and I'm possibly more upset than she was about it. But she and her decisions aren't the point, now are they?

When a law is unjust it should be challenged, whether it's okay to break them in the meantime or not. Don't you ever speak out against laws/regulations that you feel are unfair, wasteful, etc? My friend accepted responsibility, served her time without any whining, and has kept clean for probation ever since. Still doesn't change my opinion that she shouldn't have been charged in the first place, or that we're wasting WAY too much money trying to control what adults put in their own bodies. Do you disagree?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My friend is an adult, and I am not her keeper - nor did I say that she wasn't an idiot for taking that chance in a state with such back-azzwards laws. She isn't the one complaining, either, and I'm possibly more upset than she was about it. But she and her decisions aren't the point, now are they?

When a law is unjust it should be challenged, whether it's okay to break them in the meantime or not. Don't you ever speak out against laws/regulations that you feel are unfair, wasteful, etc? My friend accepted responsibility, served her time without any whining, and has kept clean for probation ever since. Still doesn't change my opinion that she shouldn't have been charged in the first place, or that we're wasting WAY too much money trying to control what adults put in their own bodies. Do you disagree?
She is in jail and not complaigning? LOL

You don't "challenge" a law by breaking it and then screaming. Your "opinion" doesn't matter to the law. Two different worlds. Your opinion is expressed at the ballot box in the US. Unless you want anarchy.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 AM

Oh, and speaking of deflecting... my anecdote was in direct response to your claim that long sentences are rarely for cannabis possession. Did I say anything about whether or not she should have broken the law? Nope.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:48 AM

I didn't say anything about deflecting. Your posting to the wrong cat.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
She is in jail and not complaigning? LOL
No complaints whatsoever... I was more freaked out than she was, and didn't even know she'd served the time until after it was done. She's that type of person, who can literally make the best of & survive ANY situation. One thing I've always admired about her, in fact.

Granted, I'm not claiming she was happy about it! But she always rolls with the punches, and isn't easily intimidated either.

Quote:
You don't "challenge" a law by breaking it and then screaming. Your "opinion" doesn't matter to the law. Two different worlds. Your opinion is expressed at the ballot box in the US. Unless you want anarchy.
For the last time, I am only sharing with you the FACT that she was sentenced to jail time for possession... she isn't the one on here saying anything, I'm just using her as an example of how good (also hard-working and otherwise law-abiding) people are going to jail for a plant. A freaking plant. I highly doubt her experience was intentionally a protest against the laws, so what's your point?

I am the one expressing my opinion on the matter, and also the one who's using it legally. And yes, I speak this opinion at the ballots when given the chance - but that is a rare occasion, and I've never (in my recollection) been allowed to vote on the issue federally. If it's never put to a general vote, what else do you suggest we do? Outside of signing petitions or something, not much I guess.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-25-2014 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies