Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Irrelevant.

Voting is an unconditional citizen right. Voting can only be voided by a criminal who has been tried and convicted (due process).

The right of United States' citizens to vote is directly stated in four distinct Constitutional Amendments.

Driving, buying liquor, or going through airport security are not citizen rights. The difference is explicit.
NO ITS NOT..

Voting is a priviledge, we deny people the right to vote, even if they are citizens.. Felons for example cant vote as you duly noted, and rights, cant be denied even by trial and conviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
No thanks , it's common sense and if you can't figure that out then you have serious issues.
A more explicit embrace of willful ignorance is rare to find. I commend for demonstrating that you do not care what is true. We all knew it. But you have bent over backwards to prove it.

Bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber
I am asking YOU personally why is it so hard for one to obtain a voter ID .
No you see... I am different from you. I am not so stupid as to accept amnybody's opinion when the actual facts are available.

Read it or don't. I don't care.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Nope. It just doesn't work that way.

Rights do not have to be proven, sorry. Voting is a right. If you want to deny someone their constitutional citizen right, you must provide proof.
I have to pay fees in order to obtain a firearm for self-defense which is a right. Not only do I pay fees but have to pass background checks , show identification, electronic fingerprints, 2 non family references explaining how I am suitable for a firearm, and health record check.

The right to bear arms, I have to go thru all that for a right. I have no problem with it , so why is a simple ID so hard to vote.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I hold voter registrations in PA, OH, Fl and Illinois where I own houses.. I easily could vote 4 times in every election.. I wonder if the left would approve of that.
Why would we approve of you breaking the law? Silly boy.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Perhaps you should read the book. You do not appear to understand what a catch 22 is.

"You might as well" is not actually an argument that stands up in court or generally to critical scrutiny. The act of proving citizenship often takes place years and decades before the event of voting. A lot can happen in the interim, to include losing those original citizenship documents.

It happens all the time.

Your personal inability to comprehend something is unlikely to ever be recognized as the legal standard of what is or is not true. Perhaps now would be as good a time as any to accept that simple fact.

I'll ignore your mug shot joke, giving you the benefit of the doubt that it was a joke.

The argument against hurdles to show proof of identification
at the polls, is by those who think there are folks out there that don't have sufficient evidence to prove who they are. Otherwise it would not be a big deal.

I've read the book.

If you are a citizen you would have proof of who you are. If you don't have proof, how can
you prove you are a citizen with the right to vote. As the other poster stated, you now need photo
id for replacement birth certificates, but not if you have the original. And if you have the original,
there is no reason why you can't get a photo ID if it is required by law to vote.

And certainly if you don't have a birth certificate, there are other docs that can prove who you are.

If you didn't know it was a joke, you don't have to give me the benefit of anything.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
NO ITS NOT..

Voting is a priviledge, we deny people the right to vote, even if they are citizens.. Felons for example cant vote as you duly noted, and rights, cant be denied even by trial and conviction.
The Constitution of the United States disagrees with you at least three times. It explicitly calls it "the right to vote,"

And on what planet can rights not be denied? Certainly not this one, and certainly not under our Constitution. All rights are conditional.

Every single one.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
A more explicit embrace of willful ignorance is rare to find. I commend for demonstrating that you do not care what is true. We all knew it. But you have bent over backwards to prove it.

Bravo.

No you see... I am different from you. I am not so stupid as to accept amnybody's opinion when the actual facts are available.

Read it or don't. I don't care.
Why are you so mad at me ? You just are used to listening to the propaganda machine whispering in your ear. So now you are calling me stupid ? Bravo on your end , I get under your skin I see.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I have to pay fees in order to obtain a firearm for self-defense which is a right.
Yes, you do.

What does that have to do with voting?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:00 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
The Constitution of the United States disagrees with you at least three times. It explicitly calls it "the right to vote,"

And on what planet can rights not be denied? Certainly not this one, and certainly not under our Constitution. All rights are conditional.

Every single one.
Actually, I agree with you that SCOTUS has been clear that rights are conditional and subject to reasonable restrictions. Thus, my question would be, why is it unreasonable to ensure the people voting are who they claim to be and (this is an added requirement I would like to see), prove they are citizens upon registering to vote? As it stands now, there are multiple states where you can register to vote and then subsequently vote without once proving your citizenship. The only requirement is a signature stating you are a citizen.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, you do.

What does that have to do with voting?
Simple. Then why is it such a problem to have legal citizens obtain a voting ID card ? Earlier some mentioned money , well I pay for my right so what's wrong with people paying for another right ? Is this pick and choose ? Talk about equality. ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies