Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,653,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And you make even more assumptions. Your petty claims about how people "can" and "should" be able to do all kinds of things is simply another way to say "jump through hoops," which is what these laws are all about. You can make up all the ways in which you think someone should get an ID, but the fact that you have to come up with new ones all the time proves what your true aim is.

NO ONE should have to jump through multiple hoops to be able to exercise a constitutionally-protected right.
So it's okay for liberals to make assumptions and nobody else ? I was speaking from reality and my own personal opinions. You see how this back and forth game plays?

I agree about no loopholes but we have a country filled with illegals that are able to vote. Do you not care about citizenship and legality ?

I want to exercise my right to bear arms but It's field day for me to obtain all licenses and permits for a protected right as you claim... So here we are again playing your back and forth game . Liberals love to pick and choose , pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,982,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
So it's okay for liberals to make assumptions and nobody else ? I was speaking from reality and my own personal opinions. You see how this back and forth game plays?

I agree about no loopholes but we have a country filled with illegals that are able to vote. Do you not care about citizenship and legality ?

I want to exercise my right to bear arms but It's field day for me to obtain all licenses and permits for a protected right as you claim... So here we are again playing your back and forth game . Liberals love to pick and choose , pathetic.
I tell you. The bigger problem is the registration process. Many states do not even require proof of citizenship to register to vote (or ID for that matter) - only a signature is required. The Democrats set up the perfect system. Do not require proof of citizenship to vote, do not require ID to vote and then when anyone cries foul, they say prove illegals can vote. How can we when they set up in such a way to disallow the very proof we seek?

1,743 posts, read 1,653,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The law does not allow a person to provide a SS card along with some sort of photo ID with an address or a bill with a name and address.

I'm sorry that you think someone's disenfranchisement is petty. I happen to think it's pretty important.

TENS of THOUSANDS of Arkansans don't have the ID that the state now requires. They LIVE without such ID. It's not a matter of being responsible. They LIVE without such ID. And meeting the state's more stringent requirements in order to obtain the ID is potentially difficult and expensive to do.

And for what????? To prevent a virtually non-existent form of voter fraud? TENS of THOUSANDS of people potentially disenfranchised to prevent almost no one from committing voter fraud.
I said your assumptions and story telling are petty claims. So what does one have to do to obtain a ID in that state?

42,732 posts, read 29,772,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Personally, I think you're reaching but I'll concede. Okay, I'll give you that she may have no ID whatsoever. I was just playing a bit of devil's advocate there. Although I contend, based on what I saw on the SSA site, she still would have required a birth certificate to get spousal benefits. And, out of curiosity, does she have an ID or not? Is this a hypothetical thing or a person who would actually be harmed by this law.

Crawford v. Marion County alleged the same thing but couldn't actually find anyone who couldn't get ID, if they wanted. SCOTUS said having to physically present themselves at the location to get an ID or having to get an out of state birth certificate did not place a substantial burden and thus did not offset the state's interest in preventing fraud. Reasonable restrictions. It's been the left's mantra on gun control and was the same standard applied to voter ID.

Either way, I still wasn't saying the Arkansas law was a good one - the idea was good but I think the execution was flawed. Like I said before, voter ID can be done well and other states, like Arkansas, should look to those states where they did it right.
TENS of THOUSANDS of Arkansans do not have the ID that the law requires. That's not hypothetical. And Arkansas has made the documentation requirements to get ID significantly more stringent. And frankly, I think SCOTUS's decision about a substantial burden is wrong. I think it's based on their life experiences as persons who've lived in urban centers for most of their lives, and who have sufficient finances and dependable mobility. I don't think they've considered the burden for people who live in rural areas, who don't have any transportation available, and whose finances are seriously circumscribed.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,248,107 times
Quote:
So you don't support ID to purchase guns then, huh? Wow, never would have guessed that.
Please let me know which Constitutional Amendment prohibits the levying of ANY cost on the right to own guns, as the 24th does for voting.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Please let me know which Constitutional Amendment prohibits the levying of ANY cost on the right to own guns, as the 24th does for voting.
Changing the goal posts. Love it. Well, SCOTUS didn't agree with you. They thought it was reasonable to require Voter ID (Crawford v Marion County). They also thought it wasn't a burden to have to obtain a birth certificate.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
TENS of THOUSANDS of Arkansans do not have the ID that the law requires. That's not hypothetical. And Arkansas has made the documentation requirements to get ID significantly more stringent. And frankly, I think SCOTUS's decision about a substantial burden is wrong. I think it's based on their life experiences as persons who've lived in urban centers for most of their lives, and who have sufficient finances and dependable mobility. I don't think they've considered the burden for people who live in rural areas, who don't have any transportation available, and whose finances are seriously circumscribed.
I suspect we'll see another voter ID case make its way to SCOTUS. Once we do, we'll see if they choose to reverse themselves or not.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,772,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
I said your assumptions and story telling are petty claims. So what does one have to do to obtain a ID in that state?
I think YOUR assumption that EVERYONE can get the ID easily and for nothing if need be, is clearly erroneous. And how many people is it acceptable to disenfranchise?

That's the question. How many people do you think it's okay to deny the right to vote, even though they are legally entitled to do so?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,248,107 times
Quote:
Changing the goal posts. Love it. Well, SCOTUS didn't agree with you. They thought it was reasonable to require Voter ID (Crawford v Marion County). They also thought it wasn't a burden to have to obtain a birth certificate.
What goalposts? You're the one whinging about gun rights on a voting rights thread, not me.

Somewhere up on Page 1 or 2 of this thread I started posting about the amendment that prohibits the government from levying a cost on the right to vote. That was my position then and it's my position now.

If you've got nothing other than a ridiculous and irrelevant goalpost comment to distract attention from the uncomfortable existence of the 24th, that's not my problem.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
What goalposts? You're the one whinging about gun rights on a voting rights thread, not me.

Somewhere up on Page 1 or 2 of this thread I started posting about the amendment that prohibits the government from levying a cost on the right to vote. That was my position then and it's my position now.

If you've got nothing other than a ridiculous and irrelevant goalpost comment to distract attention from the uncomfortable existence of the 24th, that's not my problem.
You shouldn't have made this statement then...

Quote:
NO ONE should have to jump through multiple hoops to be able to exercise a constitutionally-protected right.
You said it, I responded. Would you like to correct yourself then? Perhaps you should have qualified your statement but you didn't. When you changed what you said, you moved the goal posts. Call it like I see 'em.

Even then, SCOTUS ruled on this and did not think that obtaining a birth certificate or an ID is a significant burden and that burden does not outweigh the interest to protect the voting process against fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies