Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times

Advertisements

A Utah ESL school fired it's blogger for writing an article about homophones.
The school owner wrote: "Now our school is going to be associated with homosexuality"
"I had to look up the word....because I didn't know what the hell you were talking about. We don't teach this kind of advanced stuff to our students, and it's extremely inappropriate. Can you have your desk cleaned out by eleven this morning? I'll have your check ready."

Paul Rolly: Blogger fired from language school over 'homophonia' | The Salt Lake Tribune
The Homophones Got Me! A Record of a Recent Firing. | iwritetheblogggs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Homo Fkn Sapiens, man!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
And these people are the ones teaching "knowledge" to our children.

Sadly that "advanced stuff" used to be taught in 2nd and 3rd grade right along with phonics which this owner would probably declare as an offensive word as well. These are the types of adults that our "reformed education" has produced and are running America.

Does anyone really wonder anymore why the US keeps sinking lower and lower compared to other countries ?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,090,217 times
The dumbing down of America...

Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The school owner wrote: "Now our school is going to be associated with homosexuality"
"I had to look up the word....because I didn't know what the hell you were talking about. We don't teach this kind of advanced stuff to our students, and it's extremely inappropriate.

This would be funny if the issue weren't so serious.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And these people are the ones teaching "knowledge" to our children.

Sadly that "advanced stuff" used to be taught in 2nd and 3rd grade right along with phonics which this owner would probably declare as an offensive word as well. These are the types of adults that our "reformed education" has produced and are running America.

Does anyone really wonder anymore why the US keeps sinking lower and lower compared to other countries ?

And this is a private school.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And this is a private school.
I guess it's a school - I'd call it a program. They teach English to foreigners as well as offer LSAT, GMAT, GRE and TOEFL prep courses for people whose native language is not English.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Quote:
a utah esl school fired it's blogger for writing an article about homophones.
The school owner wrote: "now our school is going to be associated with homosexuality"
"i had to look up the word....because i didn't know what the hell you were talking about. We don't teach this kind of advanced stuff to our students, and it's extremely inappropriate. Can you have your desk cleaned out by eleven this morning? I'll have your check ready."

paul rolly: Blogger fired from language school over 'homophonia' | the salt lake tribune
the homophones got me! A record of a recent firing. | iwritetheblogggs

damn you obama!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:47 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,105,903 times
Quote:
A Utah ESL school fired it's blogger for writing an article about homophones.
"I had to look up the word....because I didn't know what the hell you were talking about. We don't teach this kind of advanced stuff to our students, and it's extremely inappropriate. Can you have your desk cleaned out by eleven this morning? I'll have your check ready."

Paul Rolly: Blogger fired from language school over 'homophonia' | The Salt Lake Tribune
The Homophones Got Me! A Record of a Recent Firing. | iwritetheblogggs

homophones?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 PM

594 posts, read 345,923 times
Are homophones anything like an obamaphone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies