Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 05:06 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Laws that make it ok to carry a pistol into a bar (what could possibly go wrong?); policies that are antagonistic to abortion; states that have lots of poor people but still decline Medicaid expansion that would help many; policies that allow execution of retarded people; etc.
And what exactly does that have to do with the term "redneck"?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
And what exactly does that have to do with the term "redneck"?
What should I have said, laws that prevent people from acquiring dental care and laws that let you marry your sister?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:09 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
What should I have said, laws that prevent people from acquiring dental care and laws that let you marry your sister?
It's odd that you won't come out and honestly explain what you said. Are you embarrassed by the ignorant, bigoted comment you made?

Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
So, you know for a fact that citizens "leave their blue police state because they are tired of their high taxes, laws, mandates, licenses, rules?" I just thought it was because the South was a nice place to retire. People have been retiring South for many decades. It isn't because they like the redneck politics there.
And very often, it was Florida they were retiring to. Seldom was it Georgia or Mississippi that they were retiring to. Consider this. Alot of the growth that took place in southern Florida was because of investment from northern businessmen.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:58 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I have to consider this. "red" states such as Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee are struggling with high unemployment rates. Mississippi, as well as West Virginia, are the poorest states in the USA. Both are "red" states. Michigan is a "blue" state with unions, and it has a very high unemployment rate. However, Minnesota, with being a "blue" state and having unions, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Hawaii and Iowa, both "blue states". Both have low unemployment rates. Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee are "red" states with high rates of unemployment. The Dakotas and Nebraska are "red" states with lower unemployment rates. Perhaps we need to look at these states on an individual level to see what is really taking place. I live in "red" Georgia, and the unemployment rate here is quite high.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Laws that make it ok to carry a pistol into a bar (what could possibly go wrong?); policies that are antagonistic to abortion; states that have lots of poor people but still decline Medicaid expansion that would help many; policies that allow execution of retarded people; etc.
Hey they wanted to be treated equally..

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have to consider this. "red" states such as Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee are struggling with high unemployment rates. Mississippi, as well as West Virginia, are the poorest states in the USA. Both are "red" states. Michigan is a "blue" state with unions, and it has a very high unemployment rate. However, Minnesota, with being a "blue" state and having unions, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. Hawaii and Iowa, both "blue states". Both have low unemployment rates. Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee are "red" states with high rates of unemployment. The Dakotas and Nebraska are "red" states with lower unemployment rates. Perhaps we need to look at these states on an individual level to see what is really taking place. I live in "red" Georgia, and the unemployment rate here is quite high.
How is Atlanta doing? I went to graduate school there many years ago, it was a wonderful city then.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
I can't name a specific food that hasn't increased in price, can you?

Staples like sugar, rice, corn, milk, etc etc etc have all continued to increase significantly.
I've been paying $3.79 for a gallon of milk at Trader Joe's for the past 4 years. Organic has been $5.99 for the same period of time. Beef went up this year because of a smaller cattle herd. Corn is still 49 cents each and has been that for as long as i can remember. Bananas have been 19 cents each for the same. The gigantic bag of sugar I buy at Costco periodically hasn't changed either.

Not sure where you live, maybe it's a local issue?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
When did Michigan become a red state?
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...ype=blogs&_r=0

it's voted for the D president since 1992, but i've definitely never viewed it as a blue state, or really a red state. probably more split. sorry for saying "fairly red".

Current Governor is a Republican. It's had two Democrats as Gov in the past 50 years.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I've seen my share of transplants since our great recession happened coming to Austin.

They cashed out of their homes in more expensive areas and came to Austin cause it was "cheap".
Retirees didn't come here; families and hipsters and tech workers all came here.

6 years later...affordability as far as housing is all but gone amid bidding wars and all cash buyouts way above asking prices.
Overcrowded schools and overcrowded roads along with gentrification of lower income neighborhoods driving the poor out of the city.

Affordability went down 22% since last year in Austin.

Yet, it is still cheaper to live there than other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies