Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Hard to understand that large projects fail regularly. I know. I couldn't understand how the companies I worked for could LITERALLY blow 250 million on something that was fubared from day 1. And yet I saw it multiple times.

Good salespeople, bad management, and cost plus accounting. Basically how every single government program works. And even a lot of corporate ones. Its mind boggling.

Take a look at every single military program. Lets pick the F35 for example (although there are many many worse examples). Literally doubled in price. From a 200 billion dollar program to a 400 billion dollar program. I think the F-22 and the new navy ships have done worse. Know whats even worse? The F-35 has had the companies involved freaking out because under new rules the government has pulled some money from them reducing their profits. (While its the Obama administration doing this, I think the rules were created under Bush, not sure)

Cancelled programs? The army and navys got them in spades.

Welcome to reality. Big programs fail....software ones have an amazing failure rate. And being in the industry its very depressing to work on something you know is going to fail.
Heck, I have friends that work for Nike and will spend months working on an expensive project only to have upper management ditch the idea to move onto something, basically turning all that work into garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Yes I do actually. Probably better then the vast majority of people here. I both live in Oregon, AND work as a software engineer-with experience on large scale medical software in the past
I once was the systems administrator in charge of creating and putting together a HIPAA compliant software package for an insurance company and thought the $1M price tag was out of line..

To even equate this to the $1B+ price tag for a web interface has me astounded that anyone is defending them.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Heck, I have friends that work for Nike and will spend months working on an expensive project only to have upper management ditch the idea to move onto something, basically turning all that work into garbage.
We have similar stories but that would mean that the projects they were working on was a failure and ill conceived while you continue to support policies which fit that definition nicely.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
After wasting $248 million in tax payer money on the failed state exchange, Oregon is moving to the federal exchange.

Cover Oregon: $248 million state exchange to be jettisoned in favor of federal system | OregonLive.com
Where's your threads on the biggest military boondoggle in military history that republicans won't scrap.because it is being built in there states?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
More money down a rathole.

At least a lot of people got a nice, stinky piece of that wasteful government cheese!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:03 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I once was the systems administrator in charge of creating and putting together a HIPAA compliant software package for an insurance company and thought the $1M price tag was out of line..

To even equate this to the $1B+ price tag for a web interface has me astounded that anyone is defending them.
Its not JUST a web interface-theres actually a ton of stuff thats supposed to occur under the hood with lots of separately controlled databases.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Its not JUST a web interface-theres actually a ton of stuff thats supposed to occur under the hood with lots of separately controlled databases.
Yeah, Oregon took a big risk. This site was suppose to be an all encompassing system. I remember reading about it when they first started and it could have been a really impressive system, unfortunately it was poorly handled by the company it was given to.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I dont give a rats ass how many databases it has to interface with, its code, and code and select code is the same if you are connecting to one database, or multiple. The only difference is the prefix.

Select * from database1.insurance doesnt cost any different than Select * from database2.insurance

Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, Oregon took a big risk. This site was suppose to be an all encompassing system. I remember reading about it when they first started and it could have been a really impressive system, unfortunately it was poorly handled by the company it was given to.
So the state bears no responsibility because it contracted it out? Perhaps they should've given it to a more competent company.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
So the state bears no responsibility because it contracted it out? Perhaps they should've given it to a more competent company.
Funny watching the same people who defended the federal contractors moan and groan about state contractors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies