Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
And you mean to tell me, every team member is lilly white and has never made a racist comment in their life in the privacy of their own homes...I can imagine what they all said, "in the privacy of their own homes, after they heard what he said", doesn't make it right, however, it is double standard and extremely hypocrytical....

awful....
Nope, many people say racist things in private. But if you are gonna say something racist, don't do it to the one you are pissing off cause that might come back to haunt you. It is the same as you should never make a sex tape with a mistress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Sterling may make more money for the sale of the Clippers now than before. Though there is always the possibility that Sterling will sell the team without a fight, given his history that is unlikely. He is apparently litigious and he may huff and puff and take this matter into federal court and bring all kinds of counter-suits...unless, to quote Dr. Evil..you give him ONE BILLION DOLLARS..or close to it for the team.
I have a feeling it will probably get to the point where he is even removed from the process of selling the team. But I do think he is going to put up a big fight until then. At least the most involvement he will have with the Clippers will be from his television screen.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Default Will Charles Barkley be fined?

"That's why I hate white people."

"Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat. Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them."

''I'd never buy my girl a watch... she's already got a clock over the stove.''

While watching someone in Australia put $1 million worth of rubies on a table: "Damn, must not be any black folks in Australia. You can't just leave $1 million worth of jewelry lying around the 'hood."

After retiring from basketball "I'm just what America needs - another unemployed black man.''

On the Portland Trail Blazers serving Thanksgiving meals: "In between arrests they do community service."

"You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black."

''We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do.''

''Just because you say something doesn't make it controversial, and it doesn't make you a bad person.''
Charles Barkley

There are some pointed observations there, will he be fined? Do you think he'll lose his job?

I am so sick of PC. The NBA (and the NFL, and Major League Baseball) is full of players who,
have killed people, raped & sexually assaulted women, committed numerous acts of violence
(especially against women), are allowed to play. But, a owner is banned for life, fined, & may
be forced to sell his team because of ALLEGED comments made to his girlfriend in a private
(apparently not) moment.

Why are words now deemed worse than actions?

Last edited by buddy5; 04-30-2014 at 07:51 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Why does nobody write a story about his gold digging girlfriend and how she will happily deal with the bigotry for some paychecks? Are THE WOMANS values any more "sterling" than his?
Yes. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa_456 View Post
All of that may be true, but what on earth does it have to do with his statements toward African Americans? Have you heard the audio?

Sterling is a flaming racist making billions off of his African American gladiators.
Gladiators? They're well paid. Hardly gladiators.

Quote:
She's unbelievably hot.

But...knowing that chick rolls around with that decrepit old bag would sear an image in my brain forever.

There are just some females in which NOTHING is beneath them.
I don't care how hot she is. Given how she rolls I wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well in reality his "gladiators" would walk away if he was such a racist "slave owner" and all. Of course they get paid millions of dollars to play a game by this evil racist so they continue on. Your reality isn't what is going on. His wife wants a pile of money in a divorce. Why you folks lap up the race card at the drop I will never know.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
He has the right to say whatever he wants in private
I agree. While I don't agree with his stance necessarily, I will defend his right to free speech, as well as his opinion. However; the thought police are now in full force in America, so let the witch hunts begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The commissioner should come down on this clown like a bag of bricks!!! There is no room in the NBA for white supremacists...
It looks like you got your wish. However; if he felt that strongly against black people, why own an NBA team where the majority of the players are black? At any rate, since we're on a witch hunt to suppress everyone's opinion, let's ban Jay Z for life from having any affiliation with the NBA for his racist medallion, as well as remove all of his cds from retail stores. If we're going to supress racism, let's be fair and balanced about it, without the double standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa_456 View Post
In the recording, he didn't differentiate between African American women and African American men. He used the phrase "black people." Sterling clearly believes that African Americans are beneath him.
Given his wealth, I think he feels most people are beneath him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Im curious what's the goal here. To purge all racist thoughts from both the public/private spheres?

The notion that the NBA needs to investigate this is absurd. He made the comments in private, his lawyers will make mince meat of the league in court if they try to force his hands over this issue.
Yes, as I said the thought police have taken over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
..and this is why some athletes call it the slave trade.

The dollar amount is higher and the punishement is far less severe but it makes sense.

People use his employment of black people as proof he isn't racist but he only does it because it makes him money.
Call me crazy, but I thought slavery was forcing someone against their will to work, with no compensation. These NBA players make more money than you or I will more than likely ever see. They chose to go into that profession of their own free will. Hardly slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, it's kind of hard to respect this black woman who worships money so much she'd sleep with a guy who dislikes her race so much. What does it say about her?
I can think of a few words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Pro sports in general is an alternate form of the Jerry Springer show, a modern version of the carnival. The NBA under Stern was designed to emphasize glitz & glamour, in order to appeal to the very people like Sterling's floozy girlfriend. I read that the same kind of scenes happened at Laker games with late owner Jerry Buss. Buss and his friends, all guys in their 70's and 80's would be at the home games, all w/ 20-something hotties on their arms.

Until around the 1990's, the NBA was geared towards the serious basketball fan.

I expect that the new commish Silver will have to move quickly to push Donald Sterling out of the league. The irony is that Sterling will make over a half billion dollars on the sale. Silver has a mess on his hands but I bet that secretly he's smiling at all the pub the NBA is getting at sites like TMZ and Gawker, if he believes in and supports the Stern model, which he presumably does, as Stern's protégé.
The NBA is a joke! Lebron James reinforced that with his "decision."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I fail to see what all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is about.
So, the guy is rich, racist, bigotted and quite possibly a hypocrite. I don't care!
Seems to me we all have an inalienable RIGHT to our opinions.
AND, we have the RIGHT to state those opinions, even if such a statement might offend somebody.
However, there is NO right to never be offended. Some day, some way, some how, somebody WILL offend you. It is inevitable!
So, if you don't like what they guy has to say, just ignore him.
I have ignored him, and people like him, all my life. His opinions just have no effect on me or mine, unless we allow them to.
We choose to NOT allow any such effect.
It works for us.
Amen. Sticks and stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I will ignore him. Its easy for me though as I noted earlier he nor the NBA will miss my participation as it already doesn't exist.

Now if I worked for him and could go to work somewhere else things might be different.
The last time I was largely interested in the NBA was in the late 80s and early 90s, that was when the Cavaliers had the likes of Larry Nance, Mark Price, Brad Daugherty....ect...ect... Even when they had Lebron, I watched, but my heart wasn't in it. So, I know exactly where your coming from. Besides, I'm more of a football fan anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
It's really amazing this type of b.s. makes headline news. When a white professor gets the crap beaten out of him by a bunch of young black thugs for no reason but for the thrill and he's white, and there is no mention of it in the news. The knockout game continues with blacks bashing, and at times killing people they don't even know, and its treated, at best, as a slight detail with about 20 seconds of local coverage. Somebody eavesdrops on some old man saying something in private and its given headline news. CNN, Fox News, every news station in every city in the country, and even Meet the Press discusses this like its a major big deal. If you're that thin skinned to let someone else's comment bother you, you need counseling.
I can't stand the double standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The spineless cowards are the ones who hide behind "your racists are worse than mine".
There is no difference between racists of different colors, they act the same and they have defective hearts.
Yes. Again as I said, if we're going to take a stand on racism against one group, then we should do it across the board. As I said, people should be all over Jay Z for his medallion, given what it represents. What's good for the goose....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
she looks like a gold digger.. what does she see in that old guy>> status and money
That is one word I'd use for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not working for me. Their salaries are in the multiple millions of dollars.
Again, hardly what I'd call being a slave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong99 View Post
if it's his private property then what is the problem?
I guess even what you say in private, or in your own home is no longer safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
His phone call should've been private. As far as I know, it wasn't for our ears. If we knew what everyone said in private conversations, we'd have a country where alot of people and businesses would be boycotted.
Oh just wait. I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of this.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
"That's why I hate white people."

"Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat. Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them."

''I'd never buy my girl a watch... she's already got a clock over the stove.''

While watching someone in Australia put $1 million worth of rubies on a table: "Damn, must not be any black folks in Australia. You can't just leave $1 million worth of jewelry lying around the 'hood."

After retiring from basketball "I'm just what America needs - another unemployed black man.''

On the Portland Trail Blazers serving Thanksgiving meals: "In between arrests they do community service."

"You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black."

''We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do.''

''Just because you say something doesn't make it controversial, and it doesn't make you a bad person.''
Charles Barkley

There are some pointed observations there, will he be fined? Do you think he'll lose his job?

I am so sick of PC. The NBA (and the NFL, and Major League Baseball) is full of players who,
have killed people, raped & sexually assaulted women, committed numerous acts of violence
(especially against women), but are allowed to play. But, an owner is banned, fined, and may
be forced to sell his team because of ALLEGED comments made to his girlfriend in a private
(apparently not) moment.

Why are words now deemed worse than actions?
Charles Barkley has been fined and suspended a number of times throughout his career. Not sure what the issue is, does this somehow make what Sterling said okay?

Oh and Barkley was spot on with the Blazers comment, at the time they were known as the Jail Blazers for a reason, thankfully that version of the team is basically all gone.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

Oh just wait. I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of this.
Absolutely. The finger waggers are out in full force this morning but there's a backlash starting. Sports talk radio is full of people upset with the media's high-tech lynching of this man.

And the bar has been set now...lets see if they treat racist comments from the black community with the fervor they did going after Sterling

Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Can you blame Sterling? No self-respecting white guy wants to lose his girl to a black dude.
You should know.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, well, I would hope that I have a tougher skin then most!

Boo hoo, he said a bad thing, boo hoo.....so now I've got to get even, when his girlfriend set him up, and in conversation in the privacy of his own home....she should be fined also, that was a deviate trick to play...and now she states she wants to run for President....wow, she sure belongs in politics, that's for certain. She fit right in

and by the way, once again, I bet there isn't a black alive that hasn't at one time or another made a comment about whitie.....especially when you all get together....
Yeah. We're obsessed.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yup. lord knows how difficult it is for jews to survive in the modern u.s. economy.

they are really discriminated against in the NBA. it's not like the NBA commissioner is a jew, or the commissioner before him.

anyway, i'm just generally curious how someone like him can simultaneously be a "Jew" who is "persecuted" while being a "white man" who is "like a plantation owner."
Quite a deft and complicated dance, no?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,573 times
So have the Clippers players and coaches given all that "known racist" contract money back to Mr. Sterling?

Maybe Olbermann can go beat up his girlfriend to alleviate his "outrage"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies