Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times

Advertisements

The NBA is in a tough spot. They probably should have addressed this long ago.

Sports fans, the players, and the NBA have known about this character for quite some time. Now, this latest event has caught the eye and attention of the general public. Now, many of the silent parties are riding the coat tails of the public out cry, so as to not appear as fools or greedy and self serving.

Here is an opportunity to resolve the situation. Players and owners need to proceed cautiously. Whatever action that may be taken will set a precedent for future consideration.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
When did we get to the point of telling another person what they can think or feel?

The 80 year old was raised in a time of shame for America so racism was embedded in him.

Should we kill him?

Everybody is having so much fun, really enjoying this. All the players jumping on the bandwagon. It really reminds me of the old George Carlin joke, where at a traffic accident with injuries, people were all excited saying "more fun for me!"

The old guy grew up with his feelings, probably tried to change them but since it is a bit hard to change your feelings, he kept them private.

I had a dog who hated cats.
Got a cat and she learned to like him.
When she was 15, she forgot she had made friends with the cat and use to growl and chase him anytime he got near her food.
The old guy faced his prejudice but didn't want his "food" being eaten by the cat in his life.

The black people are really enjoying this, they should thank him for all of their fun. It reminds me that they are still racists too.

Last edited by mag32gie; 04-29-2014 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
What this guy said was wrong. My angry comes at him not for being racists in of itself because people have the right to feel how they want. It's when people of authority that employ and manages others, in a position to use their power to discriminated and give a disadvantage to people of any race, religion sexual preference.

No one that has been put in a position of power should think that it's excusable to deny anyone anything because of their deep rooted problems and ignorance. The fact that this old man was allowed to slide by his racist view by throwing money at the lawsuit for the property he owns is outrageous.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
When did we get to the point of telling another person what they can think or feel?

The 80 year old was raised in a time of shame for America so racism was embedded in him.

Should we kill him?

Everybody is having so much fun, really enjoying this. All the players jumping on the bandwagon. It really reminds me of the old George Carlin joke, where at a traffic accident with injuries, people were all excited saying "more fun for me!"

The old guy grew up with his feelings, probably tried to change them but since it is a bit hard to change your feelings, he kept them private.

I had a dog who hated cats.
Got a cat and she learned to like him.
When she was 15, she forgot she had made friends with the cat and use to growl and chase him anytime he got near her food.
The old guy faced his prejudice but didn't want his "food" being eaten by the cat in his life.

The black people are really enjoying this, they should thank him for all of their fun. It reminds me that they are still racists too.
Yes, ALL black people are enjoying this. Give me a break.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, ALL black people are enjoying this. Give me a break.
Galye King sure does. Did you watch her comments on CBS news talk TV this morning? Pure racism but no one will say a thing about it because she is Black. One racist talking about another but getting a pass.

There is a thread I started on that topic, feel free to discuss it. See how you feel about it then.

//www.city-data.com/forum/curre...rile-rose.html

Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
It's all freedom of speech until someone offends the wrong person. I don't like the guy but it's his opinion. Does he pay millions to black players? I don't really get it.

Like the Paula Dean thing. wth? If you don't think 90% of southerners of ALL colors haven't used the N-word at least ONCE in their lives, there's not a cow in Texas.

If you want to use racism I suggest you learn the "lyrics" of some popular rap "songs". Plenty of N-words to go around there, along with B's & W's.

And why would they close a thread anyway? That irks me. Deleting posts and closing threads. More censorship.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM

283 posts, read 408,820 times
I really hate to hear anyone use those hateful words and them having such ignorance, but I am not surprised by the least. I am from a southern white family and most of them have disowned me for marring outside my race, I married a wonderful black man, we live in Madison City Alabama away from all my family and most of his, and we are very happy here, it is the only city I know of that is extremely tolerant of race mixing i have ever seen. We are surrounded by a Army base so I think that has lots to do with it. I have heard it all. When my grandfather was dying i was allowed to go see him,but i was told not to mention that I had black children that would upset him, I think not , he had a baby by a black house keeper he had and he raised that boy for five years before she ran off to NY. Nothing surprises me at all anymore when it comes to racism. I have seen and heard it all.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthfulRobot View Post
Peoples views change when they move out of the parents nest and are forced to seek jobs outside suburbia. Life experiences shape racism.

The Sterling situation illustrates that the increasing double standard against Whites is increasing resentment towards Blacks.
And now people are learning how it feels be discriminated against.
Does a white person really knows how it feels to be a black kid that has to go the bathroom in a all white neighborhood,and his dad tells him he cant use a public bathroom of fear or repercussions.
Is there a double standard going around right now? Yes!
But a double standard in society in no way compares to 140 years of institutionalize racism to groups of people.
I think sometimes people misconstrue double standards towards whites with double standard towards rich.
It's the filthy rich Vs. all of us

Old 04-29-2014, 11:20 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Cuban has obviously thought about this and he makes some good points. If Sterling is stripped of his team, how does the NBA treat the next player that makes a homophobic, racist or sexist remark? Surely a measly $20k fine won't cut it. Would they be willing to suspend a player for a year or two...or even kick them out of the league? Conveniently, Larry Johnson opened his mouth and gave them an opportunity to display the fairness of their new policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthfulRobot View Post
Cuban: Ousting Donald Sterling 'slippery slope'

''What Donald said was wrong. It was abhorrent,'' Cuban said. ''There's no place for racism in the NBA, any business I'm associated with. But at the same time, that's a decision I make. I think you've got to be very, very careful when you start making blanket statements about what people say and think, as opposed to what they do. It's a very, very slippery slope.''

''How many people are bigoted in one way or the other in this league?'' Cuban asked. ''I don't know. But you find one, all of a sudden you say well, you can't play favorites being racist against African-Americans. Where do you draw the line?''
I'm not so much mad at Donald Sterling Racist comments as I am about him being a Cheap A$$ Shady NBA Owner. Until 2 years ago( with help from David stern) the Clipper were a joke in the NBA.
For 30 years The Clippers/Donald Sterling were a team you didn't want to play for. Take the racist comments out of this, and the team should be taken away from him just on his crappy track record as a NBA Owner.
He did the City Of San Diego Dirty and he will never be forgiven for that.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
From what I heard, Sterling looked at the Clippers as a business. He probably figured the team was making money so why spend a lot on the best players. From a business standpoint he did very well - purchased the team for 12.5M and it's now worth something like 800M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies