Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:25 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Do you not understand that they cannot force him to sell the team by lowering the value of the team in the court of public opinion without having an antitrust lawsuit against the NBA? He owns the team! Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has a very valid point.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar offers a different perspective on Donald Sterling - latimes.com
The NBA did not lower the value of the team. He lowered the value himself with his comments. Sterling agreed to the condition that he could be forced to sell the team if something like this happened and this is exactly what will happen. There is no anti-trust issue, that's total nonsense. Owners of teams have been compelled to sell before and they will again. Frank Mccourt was forced to sell the dodgers 2 years ago. You obviously don't know much about the issue. Do you know what anti-trust means?

Last edited by jdm2008; 05-01-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 03:36 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Please explain. They are contradictory. If Magic should be admired, then posing in pictures with Magic should be considered OK. That is common sense.

It's obvious the reason, Sterling is an elitist snob who believes that his girlfriend should only be seen with certain types of people he approves of because it somehow reflects on him if she doesn't. He believes she seems classier that way and he doesn't want to be seen with a mistress that he believes others will view as lower class. I noticed in the tape he seemed to accept her taking photos with light skinned mixes race black people like herself and I also notice many in the black community also separate themselves based on the darkness or lightness of their skin. Isn't it time for that to stop? I mean if those in the African American community have these kinds of feelings about themselves how do they expect a man like Donald Sterling not to feel that way also ?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well good for you. The world keeps rotating on its axis. No one really cares if you actively segregate. I know I don't. I'm way too busy enjoying my life. Your mindset obviously shows something went wrong somewhere, but frankly who cares at the end of the day.

You still haven't explained to me about the self preservation bs.
Apparently, you do care ... and it certainly does seem to bother you.

Self-preservation = Avoiding certain neighborhoods and situations where certain people live and congregrate. Yeah, it's that way in the city.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 05-01-2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
Chris Paul's had an even worse postseason record than Del Negro if you wanna play that game. He's very overrated. He's only gotten past the first round twice and one of them was in one of his 2 seasons with Del Negro. In 2009 he lost 121-63 at home vs Denver in game 4 of the first round. Every coach he's had except Del Negro is black.

So you're saying we're like "kids in a school yard game that keeps interrupting the game to point out the injustice Of the game you initiated"...so I should stay silent when whites are getting slaughtered in the streets and blacks are picking random whites to knock out and kill with sucker punches and OBAMA and the media will only speak on trayvon martin and donald sterling?? the media is a powerful thing and them and obama are both doing a huge injustice with these lies they spread. They need to put the pressure on black racists to be accountable about for these random black on white killings, rapes, etc. out here the way they have put pressure on whites not be racist. Only then should we even begin to have a discussion on something as small as sterling is in comparison.
It seems to me that over the past thirty years, while white parents were teaching their kids to accept others who are different, black parents were teaching their children the exact opposite.
Generally speaking, there's a lot of hate coming from blacks that the MSM, politicians, Hollywood, law enforcement and academia refuse to acknowledge.
Yeah, there's plenty of hate to go around, but it seems like the blacks physically ACT on their's much, much, much more than whites. The best way to stop these hate-filled attacks would be to start charging them with hate crimes, that's how they got whitey to slow down.

Last edited by Larry Bowa; 05-01-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well you are certainly wrong. Actually I don't. Why would I care about some random insignificant faceless individual who ultimately has no bearing on my life? That's the truth, and we both know it. You're just another screen name on the net. If you choose to segregate that's your issue. I find it dumb, but as long as your choices don't interfere with me or as long as you don't impede me, then I don't care.

Responding doesn't equal caring. It's called passing commute time. But you're boring, so, I'll bow out. Adios.
Yeah, you care. It's obvious.

XOXO

Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
so I should stay silent when whites are getting slaughtered in the streets and blacks are picking random whites to knock out and kill with sucker punches and OBAMA and the media will only speak on trayvon martin and donald sterling?? the media is a powerful thing and them and obama are both doing a huge injustice with these lies they spread. They need to put the pressure on black racists to be accountable about for these random black on white killings, rapes, etc. out here the way they have put pressure on whites not be racist. Only then should we even begin to have a discussion on something as small as sterling is in comparison.
I was going to make a thread about Obama and his response or lack of response to certain issues.

Here’s the post where I’m accused of defending Donald Sterling | The Matt Walsh Blog

Quote:
President Obama will never live down his cowardly refusal to speak out against Kermit Gosnell. Here was a man who, for thirty years, murdered black infants in his Philadelphia abortion clinic, while his activities were allowed to continue because of the complacency and tacit approval of local, state, and federal agencies. Here was a man who segregated his waiting room by race, and gave better, safer treatment to white patients. Here was a man involved in a murderous scandal that implicated — and still implicates — every level of political authority, and resulted in hundreds of born infants being decapitated, stabbed, and drowned in toilets.

What did Obama say about it?

“I can’t comment.” Abortions should be “safe, legal and rare,” he said, but he “can’t comment.”

“I can’t comment.”

The ONE time his comments would be needed, warranted, and appropriate, and he declined
Obama decided to speak out about a 80 yr old man telling his GF not to post pictures with black guys, but he says nothing about a racist murderer that killed babies by cutting into the back of their neck with scissors and severing their spinal cord.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Yeah, you care. It's obvious.

XOXO
She just gave you more courtesy than you deserved with a reply and instead of appreciating that, you got glib and sarcastic. No surprise. A reply is just a reply and life goes on. Don't let the courtesy go to your head. Large numbers of people (relatively speaking) won't be agreeing with you that we should return to 1954 or earlier.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I was going to make a thread about Obama and his response or lack of response to certain issues.

Here’s the post where I’m accused of defending Donald Sterling | The Matt Walsh Blog

Obama decided to speak out about a 80 yr old man telling his GF not to post pictures with black guys, but he says nothing about a racist murderer that killed babies by cutting into the back of their neck with scissors and severing their spinal cord.
I researched the no comment issue about Gosnell. Obama did not comment about Gosnell as he was asked about it during the actual trial. It was out of respect for the jury and the trial process. I know these juries are typically sequestered, but the chances of someone hearing his comments on the radio or on the motel TV are good and could potentially bias the jury.

I just read that Gosnell was found guilty, so would not be surprised if we do hear some comments by the President in the next week or so.

There is no trial happening for Donald Sterling as he did not break a law in this instance, so a comment about that is fine whether we agree or not.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
She just gave you more courtesy than you deserved with a reply and instead of appreciating that, you got glib and sarcastic. No surprise. A reply is just a reply and life goes on. Don't let the courtesy go to your head. Large numbers of people (relatively speaking) won't be agreeing with you that we should return to 1954 or earlier.
Feel better now?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 PM

239 posts, read 413,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
He's entitled to his preferences.
And, he is also entitled to privacy within his home.

We'll see how this plays out.

The recording was a form of subterfuge, and may test the court of law, the First Amendment, Article of Rights.

NBA is not the law, nor is the spokesman.

Sterling is entitled to his opinions.

As Voltaire spoke, "I may not agree with which you stand, but I will defend your right to say it."

Something like that.

But the guy was coerced into a tape recording, and that, too, is unethical.

Sorry, it's just how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies