Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
While what Sterling said is indefensible, do any of the people outraged by this have a problem with the secret recording of a private conversation and releasing it to the public for the purpose of shaming and embarrassing him?
Have those in full outrage mode never said anything in a private conversation they would not want revealed publicly?
I think his girlfriend is pretty slimy.
She's a prostitute on a lease-plan, not a big shocker there.

No ones care though because she's not an NBA team owner. <shrug>

Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Almost every franchise...be it burger joints, gas stations or NBA teams have clauses where they can essentially revoke your franchise or buy you out etc etc.

His days of owning the Clippers are numbered.
I doubt he will lose ownership unless he voluntarily sells. The court proceedings would take years and the media will have moved on to something else by then. Once it goes to court, I wonder how the illegally obtained recordings will be handled. I could see the NBA dropping their case and settling with Sterling. At least they could save face by saying they tried to pursue it. On the other hand, if Sterling sells the team now, he would likely get a huge sum of money - someone looking to "do the right thing" may pay him over market value so they can be seen as saving the Clippers from their evil owner.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 PM

251 posts, read 339,852 times
I know it's unfair to expect ball players not to do what they love, but I was hoping for a complete no-show boycott of the game today by the clippers.

Last edited by skytop; 04-27-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 03:50 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
He is entitled to his opinions and beliefs. We don't have to like everyone..
No, we don't have to like everyone. But part of being an adult is learning how to deal with people you may or may not like. You can say what you want, but don't be surprised at the repercussions. Pretty simple.

People like to have their cake and eat it.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,948,035 times
Oh it gets better!!!

Taking a page from the "Job Creator" playbook, Sterling in newly released excerpts has this to say:

Referring to a question about having African Americans play on his team...
"I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have -- Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?"
Gives them food? Clothes? Cars? Houses??? Gives?!?!? What happened to the EARNED part of this equation?

L.A. Clippers players stage silent protest over racist comments - CNN.com

Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,387,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh it gets better!!!

Taking a page from the "Job Creator" playbook, Sterling in newly released excerpts has this to say:

Referring to a question about having African Americans play on his team...
"I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have -- Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?"
Gives them food? Clothes? Cars? Houses??? Gives?!?!? What happened to the EARNED part of this equation?

L.A. Clippers players stage silent protest over racist comments - CNN.com
Yes, I want him to say that to the player who made his sucky team relevant, Chris Paul

"I gave you food, clothes and a car"

Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,311,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
He's entitled to his preferences.
I agree, even though I'm a person, being, he would definitely not invite to dinner, I agree with your comment which is 'He's entitled to his opinion'.

To me he's not a 'racist' in the classic sense, but he's rather more of a 'racial segregationist'...kind of a product of his era.

He's 81, was born in 1933, came of age, or teenage, right when WW2 was ending.
Most of us form our strongest views on life during those early years from like 5-25.

Whatever environment or reality most are born into, is the reality or environment they assume is true.

So I can't really condemn the man, he's simply a product of his era, generation.
And laws can change, but that don't mean peoples hearts and beliefs do.

To me he's a racial segregationist, not a 'racist', like say Hitler was.

A true white racist wouldn't hire any minorities, and coach, and pay them million's so that they and families can prosper.

I've been around true militant racist...and they always put ideology even before profit.

Most everyone is a racial segregationist in their own personal lives.
That's just a true reality.

I mean after people get off from work, they usually go their own 'color' ways.

(except me, cause I'm different).

So I don't understand the condemnation, when most condemning him themselves live racially segregated lives, whether white or black or Asian or Persion or Jewish ect.

It's odd that all people are allowed to openly live racially segregated lives accept 'white Americans'...

White Americans, for some reason, are held to a higher standard (I guess), when it comes to racial interactions.

As a minority I feel no hostility towards Donald Sterling since his views didn't harm anyone, and didn't prevent anyone from prospering.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, I want him to say that to the player who made his sucky team relevant, Chris Paul

"I gave you food, clothes and a car"
I still... well just astounded, by this astonishing, breathtaking, eye-popping, mind-boggling, overwhelming, shocking, startling, surprising, confounding, stupefying, and freaking mind-blowing attitude, as if without Donald Sterling the NBA wouldn't exist. Frankly, I have long wondered about what exactly what NBA owners contribute to the sport. Owners don't build or own stadiums or arenas, owners don't create the product, TV and merchandising pays for it. The players could very well just eliminate the owners and run the league all by themselves. No one goes to an NBA game because of owners. So I am just as astounded as to why NBA players haven't figured that out yet.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
There were people born in 1833 who had a more enlightened view of racial equality than Mr. Sterling. I simply do not find how, where or when one is born into is an excuse when others hundreds of years before figured it out if far less enlighten times.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:09 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I agree, even though I'm a person, being, he would definitely not invite to dinner, I agree with your comment which is 'He's entitled to his opinion'.

To me he's not a 'racist' in the classic sense, but he's rather more of a 'racial segregationist'...kind of a product of his era.

Most of us form our strongest views on life during those early years from like 5-25.

Whatever environment or reality most are born into, is the reality or environment they assume is true.

So I can't really condemn the man, he's simply a product of his era, generation.
And laws can change, but that don't mean peoples hearts and beliefs do.

To me he's a racial segregationist, not a 'racist', like say Hitler was.

A true white racist wouldn't hire any minorities, and coach, and pay them million's so that they and families can prosper.

I've been around true militant racist...and they always put ideology even before profit.

Most everyone is a racial segregationist in their own personal lives.
That's just a true reality.

I mean after people get off from work, they usually go their own 'color' ways.

(except me, cause I'm different).

So I don't understand the condemnation, when most condemning him themselves live racially segregated lives, whether white or black or Asian or Persion or Jewish ect.

It's odd that all people are allowed to openly live racially segregated lives accept 'white Americans'...

White Americans, for some reason, are held to a higher standard (I guess), when it comes to racial interactions.

As a minority I feel no hostility towards Donald Sterling since his views didn't harm anyone, and didn't prevent anyone from prospering.
Wow - very sensible post that isn't based on emotion or feel good political correctness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies