Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
VW has been building cars in Mexico for the past 50 years. If Tennessee wants the plant they shouldn't play hardball.

7 things we learned while visiting Volkswagen's enormous factory in Mexico
At VW’s Mexico plant, the biggest car factory in North America still has room to grow

The $300 milion offer was tied to the UAW vote.
Leaked Emails Raise Questions About Governor's $300M Offer
Despite the governor's earlier denials that the money was linked to a UAW vote at the plant, the documents show that the offer of your money was contingent upon the Haslam administration's "satisfaction" with the company's deal with organized labor.

In fact, the emails confirm that the offer was withdrawn just as Volkswagen workers prepared to vote on whether to let the UAW represent them.

Administration officials were "essentially holding Volkswagen hostage and saying 'if you don't do what we want, based on our political agenda, then we are going to withhold hundreds of millions of dollars' -
This is worth quoting just so the people who have been ignoring these facts have another chance to pretend not to notice it. Yes, TN politicians tied the money to VW doing what they want politically wrt unionization. VW actually wants all of its factories unionized, it feels this is how it gets the best results, but the Republicans don't want to allow that for political reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 01:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
This is worth quoting just so the people who have been ignoring these facts have another chance to pretend not to notice it. Yes, TN politicians tied the money to VW doing what they want politically wrt unionization. VW actually wants all of its factories unionized, it feels this is how it gets the best results, but the Republicans don't want to allow that for political reasons.
It will be fun to watch Haslam's next campaign. I suspect he is in for a real political lesson.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It doesn't want them unionized. It wants what it has in Germany but our archaic labor laws won't allow them to do that.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It will be fun to watch Haslam's next campaign. I suspect he is in for a real political lesson.
By the strong pro-union movement in TN? Lol
The unions didn't even have enough support to oust Scott Walker in WI
He may lose, but it would have nothing to do with VW.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
By the strong pro-union movement in TN? Lol
The unions didn't even have enough support to oust Scott Walker in WI
He may lose, but it would have nothing to do with VW.
Wasn't thinking about the union vote, he probably never had it anyway. I was thinking about the loss of a significant number of *very good* jobs, and about his meddling in a company's internal affairs. I think a lot of business and Chamber of Commerce folks would have major heartburn on these issues.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Wasn't thinking about the union vote, he probably never had it anyway. I was thinking about the loss of a significant number of *very good* jobs, and about his meddling in a company's internal affairs. I think a lot of business and Chamber of Commerce folks would have major heartburn on these issues.
What loss of very good jobs? VW is just trying to get as many incentives as possible. There hasn't been any loss of jobs, and perhaps we should wait and see what happens before predicting Haslam's demise. If Haslam gives VW the money they are wanting, liberals will be screaming about corporate welfare.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
The only decent car they produce is the Passat TDI. The Tiguan with its turbo 4 banger gets miserable mileage. The Toureg is over priced.

I am not impressed with VW. Getting a BMW X3 instead.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
What loss of very good jobs? VW is just trying to get as many incentives as possible. There hasn't been any loss of jobs, and perhaps we should wait and see what happens before predicting Haslam's demise. If Haslam gives VW the money they are wanting, liberals will be screaming about corporate welfare.
True, it hasn't happened yet, and now that it's been brought to light, maybe it won't. Haslam still doesn't look very good though.

As I've said above, I hate these incentive wars. Too many instances of companies taking the incentives and not holding up their end of the bargain, leaving taxpayers holding the bag.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
When a business asks the government to build them a building the government then has the right to meddle in their affairs.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When a business asks the government to build them a building the government then has the right to meddle in their affairs.
To some extent, yes. I think most of us would agree that the gov has the right to demand some kinds of reports in certain formats and to document compliance of any applicable laws. But as long as unions are legal in Tennessee, it's hard for me to see how the gov can demand that VW *not* allow one if the workers want one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies