Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:09 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh good. Another one who, once he loses the argument, acts like he is just misunderstood and not just wrong. Good luck with that argument.

I had plenty of conservative professors at the colleges I attended - top 50 colleges at that. They were primarily in my CS and Mathematics classes.
Oh, perfect. The nerds get to have (a few) conservative professors. Meanwhile, the liberal arts majors that go on to the power positions in society spend 4+ years steeped in a toxic sluice of cultural marxism and globalist economics. Yeah, let's keep funding that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:14 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Oh, perfect. The nerds get to have (a few) conservative professors. Meanwhile, the liberal arts majors that go on to the power positions in society spend 4+ years steeped in a toxic sluice of cultural marxism and globalist economics. Yeah, let's keep funding that.
And you think legislating against that is a good idea? I don't. I think there are other ways to put pressure on colleges that continue to allow professors to spout baseless nonsense that has nothing to do with education. Legislating thought is a liberal idea. No thanks.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Loans are for the students to repay with interest.
If they spent their entire time drinking and not learning, how much do you think they will earn when they get out to repay that loan? Btw, how do we loan that money out without first borrowing it?

You guys are great at only looking at 1/2 of the equation and pretending its the complete picture.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
And you think legislating against that is a good idea? I don't. I think there are other ways to put pressure on colleges that continue to allow professors to spout baseless nonsense that has nothing to do with education. Legislating thought is a liberal idea. No thanks.
There isnt a need to legislate against it, simply make them pay for it. You can do whatever you want with your own money..

If you start being able to borrow no questions asked and take any major you want, then how is that any different than subprime mortgages which collapsed the housing market?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There isnt a need to legislate against it, simply make them pay for it. You can do whatever you want with your own money..

If you start being able to borrow no questions asked and take any major you want, then how is that any different than subprime mortgages which collapsed the housing market?
I see. Yes, I agree. The ease of taking out student loans has caused this problem, both in costs and the number of students getting absolutely worthless degrees.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If they spent their entire time drinking and not learning, how much do you think they will earn when they get out to repay that loan? Btw, how do we loan that money out without first borrowing it?

You guys are great at only looking at 1/2 of the equation and pretending its the complete picture.
A loan is still a loan, which the one it is loaned to is still required to pay it back. Also, to keep getting those loans one must keep there gpa above a certain point which means one can't just do nothing but drink while in college.

I think you guys might have watched too many college movies, not evetythi BBC is a copy of Animal House.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
A loan is still a loan, which the one it is loaned to is still required to pay it back. Also, to keep getting those loans one must keep there gpa above a certain point which means one can't just do nothing but drink while in college.

I think you guys might have watched too many college movies, not evetythi BBC is a copy of Animal House.
Yeah, a 2.0. That's pathetic.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Loans are for the students to repay with interest.
Any idea of just how many of these loans are defaulted on?

Before continuing with your line of argument you may wish to look that up.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, a 2.0. That's pathetic.
I agree, it should be higher to keep students studying harder. I rarely dipped below a 3.0 in any of my classes. It shouldn't be too hard for someone who wants to get an education to keep their gpa above 3.0.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Any idea of just how many of these loans are defaulted on?

Before continuing with your line of argument you may wish to look that up.
From what I know, you can't default on student loans. If you file bankruptcy, the student loan doesn't go away. If I am wrong you are welcome to correct me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies