Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Common sense?
Don't get involved
Unfortunately, in this day and age, not getting involved is some times the more prudent route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:29 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
You are right, children these days have more "rights" than adults and are not questioned as to what is said. When I was young and in school, the teachers had the right to "correct" the students even if that meant "hands on". And if the children complained to the parents, the parents would back the teacher. Now any type of correction is labelled "assault", "abuse" and the parents are suing the school. We are living in an age when society is worshipping foolishness, not wisdom.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:41 AM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
Just remember, it's for the children...... The problem is, those who say that were the children who need their backsides tanned a few times when they were growing up.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Just remember, it's for the children...... The problem is, those who say that were the children who need their backsides tanned a few times when they were growing up.

A bit of "tanning" never hurt no one but it does get the point across.
Today kids know their rights and I know of a case where a daughter called the cops on her Dad because he got tired of her going crazy with partying and skipping school all the time. He physically dragged her out of bed one morning to get ready for school and she called the cops. They came and stern words of warning were given to the Dad. It was a catch 22 because the cops who knew the 14 year old girl because they had picked her up so many times for sneaking out and wandering around in the middle of the night were talking about charging the Dad with neglect. They didn't but it was a difficult situation. The Dad was at his wits end.
The girl is now 18 dropped out of school, living with her boyfriend and on the fast track to no wheresville and will probably end up on welfare.
This was a fine case of "spare the rod and spoil the child".

Old 04-28-2014, 12:13 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
I remember once (only time it happened) my daughter, 8 year old or so at the time, said she was going to call base cop because my wife and I disciplined her. That's what the teacher at school had told her and her classmates to do if their parents mistreated them. My wife gave her the phone and told her when she was done to go pack her clothes and toys for afterward. When she asked why the wife said "You'll be going to a foster family after this. You don't think you'll be allowed to stay here once we're in jail, do you?" She promptly gave the phone back to her mother. Like I said, it only happened the once. Kids aren't told the whole story and are not smart enough at that point to ask the important questions.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
The majority of parents today seem to allow their children to run amuck without any sort of guidance or correction in life. I work with many parents who do nothing to discipline or guide their children and then blame the schools, teachers, and community when their children act out, fail out of school, or wind up in jail. I am dealing with one now whose child is failing every subject (6 subjects, 6 different teachers) and the parent takes no responsibility. She blames the school and teachers even though we have moved mountains to help this child. Extra tutoring, a mentor, individual assistance in class, extra credit assignments, do overs, you name it, it has been tried to help him. He just doesn't try to help himself.

I'm not sure if the problem is laziness, a sense of entitlement, or parents simple don't care what their kids do any more.
All of the above, plus these days parents are scared of their kids. They've raised monsters and wonder what went wrong.

In all honesty, I blame Dr. B. Spock. He started the downward spiral of parents and their kids being "friends".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Common sense?
Don't get involved
Bullhockey! I will always, always get involved when someone is tormenting animals. Always.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I would love if the school my kids attended would allow parents to give the school permission to spank them after a phone call.

My little angel of a 5-year-old, who is as pure as the driven snow, got in trouble at school last Thursday. In PE, he spit on another kid and was written up (yeah, that will teach him). Then at lunch, we chewed up a bunch of food and proceeded to spit it on another child's lunch tray. From there, he was sent to the principals office.

Eventually he gets home. I give him a spanking, send him to timeout, take away several of his favorite toys and not allow him to watch tv. The problem is that since this happens several hours later, even though I talk to him about what he's done, there seems to be a disconnect between the incident and the punishment.

When I was in school, we'd get swats at school, and it was a big deal that you didn't want to experience.

I think that if he were given swats at school, and then I supplemented that with time out, toys and tv, it would make a greater impression on him. Trust me, it's not that I want the school to punish him so that I'm not the bad guy, I just want there to be an immediate response to bad behavior so that it's something to worry about then and not later (in his head).

I would have liked to have received the phone call saying what he did and asking me for approval to give him a spanking.

Yes, yes, yes. I know there are a slew of parents who believe, "nobody should ever lay a hand on MY KID." and those who say, "physical abuse is NEVER the answer". I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to the reasonable parents who understand that a paddling on the behind goes a long way.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my parents for disciplining me as required, which was not enough. I would like to thank my school district for having a policy that allowed for spankings. Finally, I would like to thank Matt from sixth grade for teaching me not to allow my mouth to write a check I couldn't catch. Forget the pain of the split lip, the embarrassment was enough to show me that sometimes it's best to just shut up and walk away.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

77 posts, read 103,324 times
The teen next door, enchanted with bass as many idiots are, kept bumping it despite repeated, diplomatic requests to stop doing so by both DH and the manager. After about a year of this, one day it was up so loud that the spices in my cabinet were jiggling (the shared wall includes the kitchens)... I snapped. Went next door and TOLD him: "Turn. It. Down." Three little words, quietly delivered, with a death-glare. (Oh, and I "knocked" once-- with my foot-- since every time previously it took about five minutes of knocking/pounding to be heard over the bass.)

Wow, did things deteriorate in a hurry. Suddenly he was "just a kid" and I was "scaring the baby" he was watching (a toddler who sat on the carpet next to the stereo, observing all this interestedly). After Mommy (= baby's grandma) came barreling home, I also suddenly became a racist (he's Mexican, I'm white) who obviously wanted to fight both him and Mommy right there.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:13 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I remember once (only time it happened) my daughter, 8 year old or so at the time, said she was going to call base cop because my wife and I disciplined her. That's what the teacher at school had told her and her classmates to do if their parents mistreated them. My wife gave her the phone and told her when she was done to go pack her clothes and toys for afterward. When she asked why the wife said "You'll be going to a foster family after this. You don't think you'll be allowed to stay here once we're in jail, do you?" She promptly gave the phone back to her mother. Like I said, it only happened the once. Kids aren't told the whole story and are not smart enough at that point to ask the important questions.
Did you explain what "mistreatment" could mean in terms she would understand?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:01 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
There was a time when, with no unusual circumstances, and assuming no additional facts came to light, an adult was assumed to be more capable of reason than a young child.

No longer the case, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies