Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US keep the internet Neutral ? (Net Neutrality)
Yes 104 73.24%
No 37 26.06%
I don't care 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:30 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Political science does not exist to teach people how to become politicians, it's the study of government and politics. You don't even know what it is.
The study of both is the studied effort to hone, sharpen, refine, practice... how to lie, cheat, steal, and defraud.

Nobody got a PS degree because, dangit, they can't understand the Constitution! Or, because they can't figure out how voting machines work, or how to spend more than you have, any of the other things government does.

Nor does it teach how to ferret out fraud amongst the political class. It doesn't teach how to detect sincerity (or the lack thereof), nor does it teach anyone to have integrity or morals.

There is not one single class in a BS PS degree on the subject of "why politicians, who know nothing but how to lie, cheat, steal, defraud, should not be given powers to do anything they want". Nope, never.

Nope, the study of politics is "what to think" (not how to think), the study of strategies to manipulate opinion, money, law, the economy. The study of human behavior, and how to exploit it to get what you want.

It is, fundamentally, the studied practice of how to lie, cheat, steal, and defraud.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Political science does not exist to teach people how to become politicians, it's the study of government and politics. You don't even know what it is.
Nobody takes a PS degree program so they can then build bridges. Or heal people. Or research new energy. Or build houses. Or ANY thing of productive value.

They study "theories of manipulating the money supply" (for fun and profit and political patronage), for instance. Or "approaches to solving social problems" (as rewards for friends and buying loyalty among the purchased voters).

In addition, everyone I've met who has a PS degree took it to get a job in government or politics in some capacity.

Anyone wishing to take a shortcut to the knowledge one should know to understand politics and government can learn MORE and everything essential by the following summary:

Government cannot solve problems. People who are attracted to politics do so out of arrogance and a desire to control others - and those who are those things are the least competent people on earth. Government is the least effective means of producing or providing any necessary or needed product, service, or prosperity. Government creates nothing, and harms or destroys everything it touches, despite the fact that those in it insist they are indispensable to the prosperity and even survival of the country. The only people who SHOULD be in government are those who absolutely do not want to be, who believe they are utterly unfit to force a single decision on others.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:55 AM

The title is incorrect.

The actual title is "goodbye truth, hello manipulation, fraud, and deceit".

Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
'Net neutrality' is a strategic legal phrase intended to mislead the public about its contents. That alone should be reason to kick it to the curb.

You've been 'grubered' again!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:07 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
This isn't the issue at hand with net neutrality. Let's say that you have a 50 mbps connection to the internet and your service provider is Verizon. Without net neutrality, Verizon could choose to artificially slow down your speed to 25 mbps on Netflix, but keep the 50 mbps connection speed if you use a video streaming service endorsed by Verizon.

Verizon could also block access to certain websites or make you pay extra to access them.
And just like with cable, netflix has to pay for that contract.

AMC is threatening to end their services on directv now. Under your assumption, they should just take what they are given. No, sometimes a service has to pay more. And this is free market. If a netflix competitor pays extra to your isp, then they can advertise "faster then netflix"

Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, the water company charges you by the gallon. The electric company charges you by the Kilowatt. You are demanding unlimited use for a single price.
I'm not demanding anything and by now you should know my position is the ISP's need to change their pricing scheme where the consumer pays by volume. If any company is offering me unlimited usage that's what I should get. The electric and water companies don't do this because they know it will be abused. Whether I'm paying for an unlimited service or by units they still don't get to dictate how I use that product.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not demanding anything and by now you should know my position is the ISP's need to change their pricing scheme where the consumer pays by volume. If any company is offering me unlimited usage that's what I should get. The electric and water companies don't do this because they know it will be abused. Whether I'm paying for an unlimited service or by units they still don't get to dictate how I use that product.

that's why it should be "a la carte"

internet and cable and satellite should be set up a la carte , so WE THE PEOPLE can pick and chose our service

why should I get a "package" of 100 channels why I only watch 10, and the other 90 are 40 English music/40 Spanish music and 10 shopping channels, that I have no use for.....why cant cable/satellite provide what the individual wants...be it cable service or internet service

its the same for internet...you want 100 speed...pay this price...you want 10 speed pay this price

you get what you pay for
what the liberals are proposing, DISGUISED as net neutrality, is not net neutrality, but will make it even more difficult for "we the people" to get a la carte

Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What would be the ill if the ISP offered to sell you a lesser priced service with no streaming services accessible?
What purpose does that serve? A byte of data is a byte of data, why should they be concerned about what that data is.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If someone wants to pay for more bandwidth no one should tell them they can't. This is like teaching to the bottom of the class so no one is left behind. What happens is EVERYONE is left behind.
Net neutrality doesn't have anything to do with preventing either the consumer or the content provider paying for more bandwidth. It has everything to do with what happens between those two points.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
Google, Inc. has already demolished this 'neutrality' by placing paid ads above all else and censoring what it considers 'unpopular' or legally obtuse sites within their monolithic search engine.
There is plenty of other search engines but you bring up an excellent chance for an example. Without net neutrality suppose your ISP partners with Google and makes those other search engines painfully slow. Google dominates now becsue of consumer choice but under those conditions you have assured them of dominance. FYI the irony here is Google supports Net neutrality.

Quote:
Have you noticed the ads splashed all over here?
I can assure you this site would not exist without those ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies