Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US keep the internet Neutral ? (Net Neutrality)
Yes 104 73.24%
No 37 26.06%
I don't care 1 0.70%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

You seem to think there is only one "bandwidth" involved, when in reality the bandwidth used is separate for each company's facility the connection travels through. The consumer pays their own ISP. None of that money necessarily goes to the interconnecting carriers, unless the two companies have some sort of relationship. You want that relationship to be "free" - the consumer end of the relationship dictating to the upstream service provider how much of the upstream service provider's facilities they want to be able to utilize, without any specific compensation to the upstream service provider. Such an arrangement could move the money to ends of the chain, but the heaviest weight to the center of the chain - a patently unfair arrangement.
That doesn't answer the question you are responding too. You have the consumer on one end, the network providers in between and Netflix on the other. Either the consumer is paying for it of Netflix is paying for faster lanes, how is it any different if Netflix or the consumer pays?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The basis is a grave concern about large companies leveraging bandwidth to stomp out small content providers.
A concern that is not supported by any significant constituency in a intellectually consistent manner. Even your perspectives expressed here on C-D, aggregated across all industries, ends up siding against your expressed perspective regarding this industry. How is regulating based on what's good for you personally as a consumer fair?

Quote:
That doesn't answer the question, you have consumer on one end, the network providers in between and Netflix on the other. Either the consumer is paying for it of Netflix is paying for faster lanes, how is it any different if Netflix or the consumer pays?
My point wasn't about the difference, but rather about the arrangements in between - the interconnection arrangements.

Regardless: In the Netflix situation, the only people who were unhappy with how things were were Netflix's own subscribers and Netflix. The neighbors of Netflix's subscribers were not unhappy with the how things were. So clearly, having the consumer pay, only, didn't work for Netflix's own subscribers and Netflix in that scenario. Having both sides pay works better, because Netflix is the source of the excessive load, and ISPs aren't in a position where they can switch to a metered service, due to the risk of public backlash. Indeed, it is the petulant nature of the irrational American consumer that prompted the need for both sides to pay, in that scenario.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
How is regulating based on what's good for you personally as a consumer fair?
You would suggest then that allowing large media corporations with deep pockets to stomp out the competition is only going to affect me and be advantageous to the consumer?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:09 AM
bUU

Quote:
You would suggest then that allowing large media corporations with deep pockets to stomp out the competition is only going to affect me and be advantageous to the consumer?
Who said anything even resembling that?

Did you read the message I posted, or just posted some random reply?

Here's what I wrote.
Quote:
How is regulating based on what's good for you personally as a consumer fair?
Try to reply to what I write, rather than projecting off onto some tangent easier to argue against.

The reality is that the people who own media companies deserve consideration. You don't like where the line is drawn between the two sides, today - with regard to this one industry. Well guess what: I don't like where the line is drawn between the two sides, today, at all, without the kind of industry bias that your comments exhibit.

As long as people only care about reigning in corporations when those corporations are providing products and services that they personally consume - which is what you're apparently doing - nothing will change. The corporations will retain the upper hand because folks will support their continued ascendancy by failing to support the leaders who would have our government reverse the increasing imbalance favoring employer over employee, and favoring producer over consumer, and favoring service provider over subscriber.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
and ISPs aren't in a position where they can switch to a metered service, due to the risk of public backlash.
I have no problem with that because the alternative in the long wrong is far less competition in the market amongst content providers and services.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Who said anything even resembling that?

Did you read the message I posted, or just posted some random reply?

Here's what I wrote.Try to reply to what I write, rather than projecting off onto some tangent easier to argue against.
That's exactly what you said. Your post would imply it would benefit me personally and that's simply not the case. What I'm advocating for is a level playing field amongst content providers. I would expect that I would pay more or less depending on the amount of bandwidth I consume.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 AM
bUU

Quote:
That's exactly what you said. Your post would imply ...
In other words (1) It isn't "exactly" what I said, and (2) Even though it isn't even remotely close to what I said, you're going to sit there any lie about what I said anyway.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:22 AM

If I'm a heavy user of Netflix and I have too pay more to my ISP how is that a benefit to me other than equal access to Netflix competitors? LOL

If you keep changing your argument eventually it's going to bite you in the ass.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:18 AM
bUU

Quote:
If I'm a heavy user of Netflix and I have too pay more to my ISP how is that a benefit to me other than equal access to Netflix competitors? LOL
Rewrite your comment so it makes sense, and doesn't presume anything that is not currently reality.

Quote:
If you keep changing your argument eventually it's going to bite you in the ass.
I haven't changed my argument. It has been the same since the 1980s. I'm sorry if its nuances go over your capacity or willingness to understand the situation you're trying to speak about, or if you are unable to follow the paths you yourself set forth with your hypothesized alternative approaches within the same thread as we're also discussing current reality.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
,and doesn't presume anything that is not currently reality.
Currently yes to some degree since my ISP offers some different plans however what we are discussing here is changes to that arrangement where the content provider would be footing part of that bill.

Who is it that doesn't understand the topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies