Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 05:58 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,665,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It is the rate that is decreasing, not the number (debt).

The number is increasing.
Incorrect. And your comment shows that you didn't pay attention to the context of the interchange you decided to stick you nose into. Why should your comment warrant more consideration than you paid to the comments you were replying to? (They don't.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 AM

29,978 posts, read 18,541,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Incorrect. And your comment shows that you didn't pay attention to the context of the interchange you decided to stick you nose into. Why should your comment warrant more consideration than you paid to the comments you were replying to? (They don't.)
The deficit has fallen.......... from record numbers racked up by Obama.

1. Obama is responsible for the largest deficits in US history.

2. The "good" deficit number for Obama is 50% higher than the average Bush deficit.

3. We currently have record revenues; therefore spending has markedly increased from the Bush years.

4. If it was not for the Republican congress, thwarting some of obama's spending spree, the deficits would be even higher.

5. We are $17.5 trillion in debt - thanks Obama!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM

26,287 posts, read 14,885,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Perhaps because this is a bigger concern:

Good graph.

Over the past 30 something years, when both houses of congress, which controls spending, is controlled by democrats, we have 4 times as much deficit spending per term as when the republicans control both houses.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:37 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,641,246 times
It is all fake anyway due to the fake money being pumped into the system to devalue the dollar.

And here is the other thing, has anyone even bothered to look at the projected spending over the next 10 years? How will we find the revenues to not have the deficit increase especially when we are still in a down economy with no real recovery in sight?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 PM

2,393 posts, read 2,995,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The DEBT cannot come down UNTIL the DEFICIT becomes a SURPLUS.
We are certainly not at that point yet, but cutting the DEFICIT IN HALF is a really good start.

Ken
Not really. A good start would be creating a surplus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, for the GOP it was "never about the deficit" until OBAMA WAS PRESIDENT, then suddenly they "discovered" the deficit.

Ken
Go back and look at the chart I posted. Notice the trend that when Democrats control Congress the debt goes up, when Republicans control Congress the debt is flat or goes down. We obsess too much about the guy in the White House while it is the idiots in Congress who control the purse strings.

Dave

Old 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM

332 posts, read 342,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The deficit has fallen.......... from record numbers racked up by Obama.

1. Obama is responsible for the largest deficits in US history.

2. The "good" deficit number for Obama is 50% higher than the average Bush deficit.

3. We currently have record revenues; therefore spending has markedly increased from the Bush years.

4. If it was not for the Republican congress, thwarting some of obama's spending spree, the deficits would be even higher.

5. We are $17.5 trillion in debt - thanks Obama!
This is full of some much Fail I can't believe it. Responsible? Yes, he's responsible for the 1981 Tax Cut that contributed to that debt. *sarc* Those Obama deficits from 2009 are Bush's because of the recession and the mandatory increases of spending BEFORE the stimulus.

We have record revenues partly because of increased tax collections (taxes raised) and decreased spending. See 2011 BCA, 2012 debt ceiling deal, and 2013 sequester.

Obama isn't responsible for all of that debt, so no thanks to him.

This is why centrists get turned off by this crap. A post like this with numerous hyperbole and outright lies can not be just attributed to politics. Obama isn't the greatest ever but he also isn't the worst ever, and the numbers bear that out. Just because in your heart of hearts believe these misstatements above to be true doesn't make it so.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,641,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
This is full of some much Fail I can't believe it. Responsible? Yes, he's responsible for the 1981 Tax Cut that contributed to that debt. *sarc* Those Obama deficits from 2009 are Bush's because of the recession and the mandatory increases of spending BEFORE the stimulus.

We have record revenues partly because of increased tax collections (taxes raised) and decreased spending. See 2011 BCA, 2012 debt ceiling deal, and 2013 sequester.

This is why centrists get turned off by this crap. A post like this with numerous hyperbole and outright lies can not be just attributed to politics. Obama isn't the greatest ever but he also isn't the worst ever, and the numbers bear that out. Just because in your heart of hearts believe these misstatements above to be true doesn't make it so.
Take a look at future spending committed to by none other than Barack Obama. I am not defending Bush's spending by any stretch but the amount of spending that we have now and in the future should be a HUGE wake up call to all Americans.

This isn't us vs. them, we are all in this together and the vast amount of spending is unsustainable.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM

2,393 posts, read 2,995,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post

Guess I need to post this again! Look at the patterns: Whenever Congress is split or the Democrats are in power the debt goes up, whenever Republicans are in power the debt is held flat or goes down. It's a remarkably consistent pattern.

What drove the deficit up in 2008 - 2012? Don't blame Bush! Blame the Pelosi/Reid Congress! Congress controls the purse strings, not the President. Sure the President has veto power, but that's a rather blunt instrument with respect to the budget unless you want to play chicken with Congress. That's never worked out well for Republicans in a country where the media is somewhere to the left of Castro (I kid, I kid, but you get my point).

As for the recession, I lay the blame for that at the feet of the Democrats as well. The table was set by Clinton when he signed legislation repealing the Glass-Steagall act (albeit legislation sent to him by a Republican Congress). Bush did realize the risks that were building in Fanny/Freddie and at least twice proposed legislation to reign in that risk, but it was the Democrat controlled congress that stymied those efforts. Think of that, a Republican President proposes increased banking regulations and the Democrats vote him down. I'm sure you have seen the videos of Charlie Rangel and Maxine Waters playing "crisis, what crisis" in the committee hearings.

Dave

Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM

332 posts, read 342,424 times
Quote:
Take a look at future spending committed to by none other than Barack Obama.
Future spending has nothing to do with this. If you are talking about deficits, we can only look at year-to-year numbers, not future spending. Of course future spending is high; there are more people living in this country than there was 20 years, heck, even 30 years ago.

Quote:
Guess I need to post this again! Look at the patterns: Whenever Congress is split or the Democrats are in power the debt goes up, whenever Republicans are in power the debt is held flat or goes down. It's a remarkably consistent pattern.
I don't need a chart to tell me that Republican-led administrations spend more during their time of power, so when power inevitably changes hands, that Democrats "look" like they accumulated the debt. Unless you somehow think that policies enacted after 2007 caused the greatest economic crash since the 1930s.

Please tell me you don't believe that?

Look, both parties spend. That's what government does. For you to blame all of the debt on Democrats is the same crap I talked about above. And you don't have to go and post some silly chart trying to blame Executive-led spending on the other party that is not in power. It isn't all black and white.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:08 PM

25,389 posts, read 18,514,062 times
We're adding debt to the "national credit card" more slowly than before. Big whoop. It's like me saying that rather than buying ten thousand dollars worth of goods per month on my credit card that I have no chance of paying for, I'm only buying nine thousand, nine hundred ninety-nine dollars worth of goods on my credit card that I have no chance of paying for. Yeah, that's really cause for celebration, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies